Author Topic: murph's dual-beam kit...HID conversion?  (Read 3476 times)

Offline John_Atkinson

murph's dual-beam kit...HID conversion?
« on: June 05, 2013, 03:19:32 PM »
anyone done it?
John Atkinson
'91 Connie "Zeke"
217,000 km and counting...

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
Re: murph's dual-beam kit...HID conversion?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 06:43:41 AM »
Haven't yet but planning to do the low beam. I'm going to rewire the relay so the low is always active because cycling HID on-off isn't recommended. Staying with the H9(?) for the high.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 08:55:56 AM »
yes, did the low beam as mentioned. use a 55 watt kit, the 35 watt kit is about the same as the stock bulb. HTH, Steve

Offline atye

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 08:00:44 AM »
Does anyone know where I can get JUST the mount for this kit? I have access to the lights already and don't wanna buy another set of lights. Murph won't sell me just the mount (I tried).

Offline Mr Orange

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 06:15:15 AM »
Does anyone know where I can get JUST the mount for this kit? I have access to the lights already and don't wanna buy another set of lights. Murph won't sell me just the mount (I tried).

I'm also very interested in obtaining just the panel too. I want to convert one over to duel low beams and wire them both for HIDs. I had twin HID lights on my Spyder and it also uses Hella optics and the light on the road is fantastic!  8)

Offline John_Atkinson

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 06:54:44 PM »
yes, did the low beam as mentioned. use a 55 watt kit, the 35 watt kit is about the same as the stock bulb. HTH, Steve
Steve, any particular reason you didn't also do the highbeam?

JA
John Atkinson
'91 Connie "Zeke"
217,000 km and counting...

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 09:53:32 AM »
Steve, any particular reason you didn't also do the highbeam?
As Toxz Qwaste said, cycling a HID light on and off is not recommended.  It drastically shortens the life of the bulb.  (HIDs also don't hit full brightness for a few seconds after turning them on.)

I have an H4 HID conversion in my C10.  When the light first goes on, it flashes brightly and then goes really dim before gradually coming up to full brightness.  It uses a solenoid to move the bulb from a high to low position, and really throws a lot of light down the road.  I'd rather go with Murph's setup, but it isn't in the budget yet.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 10:47:51 AM »
The HID kit I had did not change the brightness of the light. It only moved a shield that changed how the light came out to show either hi or low beam. I don't know of any HID lights that actually change the brightness of the lights. I didn't think that could be done.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 12:41:23 PM »
The HID kit I had did not change the brightness of the light. It only moved a shield that changed how the light came out to show either hi or low beam. I don't know of any HID lights that actually change the brightness of the lights. I didn't think that could be done.
I think you misunderstood.  The brightness only changes as the bulb heats up to it's full power - the first few seconds that it is turned on.  Then it is steady.  There's a solenoid that moves the bulb from the 'high' position to the 'low' position. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157