Author Topic: Tying down bike question  (Read 11894 times)

Son of Pappy

Re: Tying down bike question
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 03:10:43 PM »
2 pages of how to tie down a C14!  I could've had my canyon dancers on and off and been to the track and back 6 times
Track?  You've had the 14 on the track, bags and all? ;D ;D  I ride mine there, never, ever seen the inside of a trailer ;D ;D  I can understand a trailer for logistical reasons, but drag a bike to a ride?  Seems wrong.  Tell ya what Steve, if you beg I will send ya an elk hoof if that will help ya out :)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 03:28:13 PM »
Shouldn't you be off talking with your imaginary female- dealer friends or rubbing your fob or something....

;D

Brian

Yes, and send hoof!  I'll see her next time i go in for minor warranty work on this magical extended warranty  :D

Track?  You've had the 14 on the track, bags and all? ;D ;D  I ride mine there, never, ever seen the inside of a trailer ;D ;D  I can understand a trailer for logistical reasons, but drag a bike to a ride?  Seems wrong.  Tell ya what Steve, if you beg I will send ya an elk hoof if that will help ya out :)

I think I said I "could've" been at the track 6 times or such....    time representation....  not laming my bike to a track.  In all seriousness for quite some time I've wanted to throw my C14 on the track to get pics with the bags in a turn but have always taken a different bike instead.

Although i still used the right solution, canyon dancers  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 04:22:02 PM »
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=12141.0
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=4375.0
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=414.0
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=9551

20 seconds

No guaranteeing any answers there, but NEVER the handlebars.

Unless one is about the herd mentality of internet chatter/forums.  My stealership ONLY uses the handlebars with canyon dancers  to haul C14's (and any other bike) on their trailer, and according to them thousands of miles of C14 transport no drama =)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/993/4142/ITEM/Canyon-Dancer-Bar-Harness.aspx

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 05:10:25 PM »
Unless one is about the herd mentality of internet chatter/forums.  My stealership ONLY uses the handlebars with canyon dancers  to haul C14's (and any other bike) on their trailer, and according to them thousands of miles of C14 transport no drama =)

My stealership delivered mine using ties to the head/tubes not the handlebars.  Just going by what they did, what my friend (who is into this stuff) said, and what I have seen said on the forums... that using the handlebars is not the "correct" (or perhaps "best") way to tie down a heavy bike with cast aluminum bars.

I just checked both the owner's manual and service manual and neither had anything to say about it, surprisingly (unless I just couldn't find it and it is in there).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 05:12:49 PM »
Its all good anyway :)   Plus, a fresh FOB battery and we'll not need to haul 'em

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 06:51:43 PM »
Just to add a different sort of fuel to the fire, it is probably 'best' not to strap any motorcycle down using the handlebars whether they are aluminum or steel, cast or drawn and bent. Let's be honest, the triple clamp is far, far more rugged than the ends of the handlebars and much less likely to be damaged. So I think I will stick with my earlier posts but expand them to include all motorcycles: if there is time and resources available, I would use some part of the frame or major suspension part to anchor the bike to the floor of the trailer. If not, the bike must be towed and Canyon Dancers are what is available, I would use them on any motorcycle that I know of with a degree of reason which we should all use all the time anyway.

Or maybe just put a couple of really big rocks in the saddlebags and leave the bike on the sidestand.  :o

Finally, no one has yet discussed whether the straps holding the bike down should be synthetic or not....

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 08:06:45 PM »
Hemp Brian, hemp 8)

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 08:20:49 PM »
 I have  Canyon dancers and although very convenient  they are not my preferred choice.
Never use Canyon Dancers on C10  Heli Bars. You will strip out the ridges locking the shafts to the clamps rendering your  Heli Bars useless. I know this because it happened to me.
On long distances like  trips on the Auto Train which I do every year   (850mi each way). Do not use Canyon Dancers  They will make a mess of your Murphs grips or ruin foam grips. I know this too from experience.
I  prefer strapping from the lower triple tree  as suggested above and I go from the left fork towards the right and vice versa  so that the straps  cross each  other.. This method prevents the straps from rubbing on the faring.
I also cable tie each hook so they cannot disconnect on a heavy bump or heavy braking.
On short trips and on ferry rides Canyon Dancers are convenient for sure but not the best way to secure the bike on long trips.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 05:20:30 AM »
And just to keep it going....

IF you improperly use canyon dancers, you can deform the grip material, if you have heated grips this can destory the wires inside the grips.  I've personally seen extremely distorted grips due to canyon dancers improperly used.

That said, the lower triples, and some parts of the frame are rock solid.  I also have used the rear handrails and top case mount.  Works like a champ.

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2013, 05:24:01 AM »
The plastic rear handrails as a tie down point?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2013, 05:32:06 AM »
The plastic rear handrails as a tie down point?

??

The rear handrails are aluminum.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2013, 05:40:31 AM »
??

??

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2013, 06:07:44 AM »
Maybe but if so then the aluminum in those rails is made from plastic. A long- chain polymer specifically. Dark gray, almost black and amazingly tough butt they are plastic.

They could be used to tie the bike down but if you put a strap across them and it is on the tight side the paint will wear off. I carried my briefcase by using a bungee cord wound around those rails and not only did the paint wear through but the rails actually have shallow grooves worn into them.

Brian

??

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2013, 06:11:49 AM »
Max, you gone out to check?  ;)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2013, 06:21:31 AM »
??

What year bike are you refering to?  It will help those looking to help ;) ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2013, 12:01:40 PM »
??

Nope, they're plastic.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2013, 12:05:02 PM »
Plastic to match the cracker jack box Kawasaki decals that are plastic too  :D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2013, 04:01:58 PM »
Maybe but if so then the aluminum in those rails is made from plastic.

Max, you gone out to check?  ;)

What???  They are plastic??? Really???? OMG... I thought they were aluminum!!!  Yikes!

Wait- I know why I thought they were aluminum, they *WERE* black painted aluminum on my previous bike, a ZRX.  Sorry....

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2013, 07:09:18 PM »
Hard to believe it, but my C14 is going to be trailered down to Deals Gap "long story", and we are using canyon dancers. They are not tied down very tight because the front wheels are in chocks, and we will use soft ties for the back. My friend uses nothing but canyon dancers, and he never has had an issue, of course he probably puts them on correctly too.  The next trip in 3 weeks will be all riding, no trailers this time.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey