Author Topic: Tying down bike question  (Read 11893 times)

Offline Cuda

Re: Tying down bike question
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2013, 07:46:12 PM »
 I bought my bike about 4.5 hours from my home, we  backed it onto a low trailer , used a two inch strap on the rear wheel attaching it to the trailer about 16" high,  then used canyon dancers front.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2013, 07:59:43 PM »
Hard to believe it, but my C14 is going to be trailered down to Deals Gap "long story", and we are using canyon dancers. They are not tied down very tight because the front wheels are in chocks, and we will use soft ties for the back. My friend uses nothing but canyon dancers, and he never has had an issue, of course he probably puts them on correctly too. The next trip in 3 weeks will be all riding, no trailers this time.

you won't have an issue, even if you believe everything posted on the 'net  ;)

canyon dancers rule
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2013, 08:01:56 PM »
Just an FYI, not all cast is brittle. I have not checked what grade the c-14 handlebars are made of but I have machined a lot of cast aluminum and much of it had similar properties to 6061T6. It would bend a long way before it would break.
I have used Canyon Dancers the three times I have trailered my Connie. The bike was completely stable each time but there was a bit of damage to my Murphs grips and made the grips drag enough that the throttle wouldn't close until I pulled them back out a bit.

I love the idea of using zip ties to be sure the hooks can't come off. I'll use that idea from now on!

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2013, 11:15:42 AM »
Just an FYI, not all cast is brittle. I have not checked what grade the c-14 handlebars are made of but I have machined a lot of cast aluminum and much of it had similar properties to 6061T6. It would bend a long way before it would break.
I have used Canyon Dancers the three times I have trailered my Connie. The bike was completely stable each time but there was a bit of damage to my Murphs grips and made the grips drag enough that the throttle wouldn't close until I pulled them back out a bit.

I love the idea of using zip ties to be sure the hooks can't come off. I'll use that idea from now on!

Matt

I've used zip ties. They work great. I've also run the soft ties through the ring on the tie downs before looping them over the hook. That way they can't slip off.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2013, 01:58:09 PM »
zip ties even hold fairings together successfully  ;)

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2013, 02:44:45 PM »
I agree with you but specifically comparing these two types of handlebar, cast aluminum and drawn steel tubing, the cast versions are brittle by comparison. The ductility of the tubular bars comes both from the material as well as the shape; the right type of aluminum, used as tubing, would also bend far more than the die cast stanchions that we have on our C-14's. Put another way, most of us have seen bent tubular steel handlebars but I betcha' none of us will ever see a bent C-14 handlebar set (stock bars).

Brian

Matt
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2013, 07:31:24 PM »
Bike did pretty well being hauled down there, the canyon dancers were used on the way down and they did moosh my grips a bit. I fixed them no problem, but it seemed like my forks or even bars may have been tweaked a bit. Is that possible, how can I check other than eyeballing them? Bars now shake some when I let go of them, they did not do that before.  :(  I also got a nasty gouge on my swing arm from a strap buckle......I am pissed and my bike will "NEVER" see a trailer ever again. But I did have a great time down there with the Ohioriders group, there are some seriously talented and amazing riders in that group. Also one member has a new Ducati Panigale..........incredible.

2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2013, 12:49:44 PM »
I did a couple track days this past weekend at Grattan. It was loaded with high end bikes like the panigales. Many other Ducs as well quite a few BMW 1000RRs and a very cool looking Buell but didn't see what model it was.
One guy on a Duc had unreal acceleration coming onto the straight. We'd be right together coming off that last corner and he would just pull me by 50 lengths by the end of the straight. I'd make it up in the next two corners but it was amazing watching him pull away as soon as he got the bike upright. I was even pinned all the way through the corner coming onto the straight and he just left me.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2013, 04:33:28 AM »
I did a couple track days this past weekend at Grattan. It was loaded with high end bikes like the panigales. Many other Ducs as well quite a few BMW 1000RRs and a very cool looking Buell but didn't see what model it was.
One guy on a Duc had unreal acceleration coming onto the straight. We'd be right together coming off that last corner and he would just pull me by 50 lengths by the end of the straight. I'd make it up in the next two corners but it was amazing watching him pull away as soon as he got the bike upright. I was even pinned all the way through the corner coming onto the straight and he just left me.

Matt

The fact that you caught him in the turns boggles the mind...
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2013, 08:34:14 AM »
Yes, something seems wrong here.  I don't know how you could have it pinned all the way through the corner either, unless you were in too high of a gear.  Also, you must be a very good rider and he must really suck in the corners for you to be able to corner faster than him.  It seems entirely backwards. 

It's kind of like that old 70's tv show Chips.  They were riding Kawa KZ1000's, which I also rode back then.  During the chase scenes, they'd always catch up in the corners and lose ground on the straights.  Exactly the opposite of what would happen in real life.

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2013, 09:05:31 AM »
I guess I didn't mention I was on my '03 Honda CBR600 at the track.
Turn 10 is a very slow right hander. I tend to overpower the rear in 2nd gear coming off 10 so I use 3rd. Turns 11 and 12 are a right/left kink more than full corners. Turn 12 leads you onto the straight. Still in 3rd from coming off 10, as soon as I hit the apex of 11 I hit WOT. In the transition between 11 and 12 I got to 4th. I could carry 3rd a little further but I don't like shifting mid corner on lefts which I would have to do as I'd be redlined before I got on the straight. When I shift to 4th is when he would start pulling away from me.
I am not that great of a rider but there were a few corners that he really slowed way down for. Not sure my Connie would have made much difference either as I feel my 600 and my Connie are pretty equal on acceleration up to about 120mph then the 600 falls off a bit.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350