Author Topic: Throttle binding  (Read 4679 times)

Offline katata1100

Throttle binding
« on: May 14, 2013, 09:07:04 AM »
When I twist the throttle grip, sometimes it feels like I can feel something rubbing. Is there something inside that needs to be greased?

Offline Conrad

Re: Throttle binding
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 09:16:40 AM »
You could have some debris inside there but normally no lube is required.

Check your grip. Once in a while the grip on the throttle tube will slide up and bind a bit. I give it a lil blast of air from my compressor while pulling it down. I have to do this about twice a year.   
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 09:20:38 AM »
I'd bet on the grips as well.  Have you lubed the cables??

Offline katata1100

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 09:26:35 AM »
Nope, haven't done that. Any suggestions on how do do this? What should i use to lube cable?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 09:32:09 AM »
Nope, haven't done that. Any suggestions on how do do this? What should i use to lube cable?
Check out Cycle Gear, they have an inexpensive kit that includes the cable luber and lube.  This reminds me I need to do my cables, it's been a couple years :(

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 09:39:12 AM »

This is the kit that I use, works great.

https://www.denniskirk.com/petrochem/cable-care-kit-72005.p3132.prd/3132.sku
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 05:03:12 PM »
When I twist the throttle grip, sometimes it feels like I can feel something rubbing. Is there something inside that needs to be greased?

Please put the model year of your bike in your avatar or signature :)   It can greatly help people when troubleshooting...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 06:02:03 PM »
Oh Max....you're incorrigible.   (word of the day for tomorrow)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 06:32:04 PM »
Somebody has to pick up the slack.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 06:55:49 PM »
Please put the model year of your bike in your avatar or signature :)   It can greatly help people when troubleshooting...

The year of his Katana?? How is that relevant to this thread Spock?  ???

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 06:59:10 PM »
Is there a differance in throttle setups between gen 1 or 2 bikes?  Just wondering out loud here.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 07:34:32 PM »
We don't know, SOP.  Someone would have to chime in who knows both setups...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 07:48:31 PM »
Where's Fre*H when we need him?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 09:06:18 PM »
The year of his Katana?? How is that relevant to this thread Spock?  ???

Katana??

Is there a differance in throttle setups between gen 1 or 2 bikes?  Just wondering out loud here.

Yes.   Plus, the answers will not be quite the same for such a situation on a 2012 vs a 2008...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline katata1100

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 09:20:03 PM »
The year of my katana? It is a '91. But, my C14 is a '11.
The throttle on my katana is fine, but if you twist it too much, you might be looking up at the sky ;D

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 09:24:28 PM »
Waiting on 'the other side'.

;)

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 09:29:18 PM »
Most likely it is the plastic throttle tube grinding its way through the aluminum post that is used as a handlebar grip. I swear that while there might be a worse system, I cannot think of it offhand. Whatever you do, do NOT lube it with anything wet or of a paste consistency as that will only make lapping paste to accelerate the wear and increase the drag. Take the throttle tube off the right handlebar, clean both the tube and the (now probably badly worn and grooved) aluminum handlebar thoroughly, and then coat the handlebar with plumber's Teflon tape. Be very careful with the tape not to get wrinkles in it and don't overlap it so that it is more than two layers thick but otherwise it will be like having a new bike. Then clean and lube the clutch and brake lever pivot points as well as the shifter and rear brake pivot and it really will act like a new bike. Really.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 10:10:36 PM »
Yes.   Plus, the answers will not be quite the same for such a situation on a 2012 vs a 2008...
How so?  Heated grips OEM vs non OEM?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 03:59:12 AM »

I think we're doing quite fine at the moment.  He's much too busy somewhere else and that's all I'm going to say about that.

Brian is right on with his explanation.  However I have a question.  Did the OP just start noticing this (gradual onset) or was it like all of a sudden?  Just trying to determine the when at the moment.  Has any work been done on the grips or around where the cables operate?  I had some issues with my throttlemeister that caused the throttle not to return correctly (all my fault).  I can't say that we've seen issues with the cables or grips with this bike.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 05:31:04 AM »
However I have a question.  Did the OP just start noticing this (gradual onset) or was it like all of a sudden?  Just trying to determine the when at the moment.  Has any work been done on the grips or around where the cables operate?

So, knowing if the bike is new or old would help to answer that.  It wouldn't make that much of a difference, but it is yet another clue when trying to solve a puzzle....

My responding to you is also answering "Silverylightblue"'s question :)