Author Topic: Transponder Antenna  (Read 7548 times)

Offline chap

Transponder Antenna
« on: May 08, 2013, 08:38:37 AM »
I have been keeping my Transponder in the Left Glove box, with no problems until now.

I Installed a new battery in the FOB this year and have been OK until last weekend. I installed some LED Driving Lights, so had the upper fairing coves off, glove box out and was inside some of the fuse boxes during the install.

Now when I put my Transponder in the Glove Box I get "NO TRANSPONDER" after about a minute. This has never happened before. As soon as I remove the Transponder from the Glove Box the error goes away.

I am wondering if I have inadvertantly moved the antenna to a worse reception location, or somehow made a Faraday Cage out of a plastic box.

Does anyone know where the antenna is??

Thanks for any suggestions. Of course the easy solution is to not use the box, but I would like to.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Transponder Antenna
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 04:12:28 PM »
My FOB works 6-8 feet from the bike no matter if its in my glovebox or my pocket or a sidebag or Teressa's bra

Might want to put another fresh battery in it  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 04:28:42 PM »
Something you installed is interfering with the reception.  You can try another battery.  It may or may not help.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline chap

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 07:12:55 PM »
Something you installed is interfering with the reception.  You can try another battery.  It may or may not help.

Interference is possible. There is a PCM controller for the LED Lights. Another battery is definately a good idea.

Thanks
2010 Concours ABS = Blue

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 07:45:15 PM »
I have been keeping my Transponder in the Left Glove box, with no problems until now.

There is a reason there is a big sticker warning you NOT to store the fob in the glove box.  If you want someone to steal your bike... that is a very good way to encourage it........

[The antenna is not movable]
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline chap

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 08:03:16 PM »
There is a reason there is a big sticker warning you NOT to store the fob in the glove box.  If you want someone to steal your bike... that is a very good way to encourage it........

[The antenna is not movable]

Its only in there when I am on the bike, It is removed when I am parked.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 08:51:38 PM »
Its only in there when I am on the bike, It is removed when I am parked.

Why not put the Fob in a zippered jacket pocket or pants pocket?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 08:53:30 PM »
That's where I keep mine.  Under the riding pants...  That way I can't lose it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 04:38:26 AM »

My riding jacket has two inside secured pockets. One is where my fob lives (and only comes out when it needs a new battery or I wash the jacket) the other is the perfect size for my cell.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline chap

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 09:05:20 AM »

On Long trips I do, but in town on hot days I have a cooler jacket i use. But it does't have a zippered pocket, so I am constantly worried about it falling out.

All great suggestions, but my question was about the change in sensitivity of the transponder. I will be checking to see if the addition of the PWM Light controller is creating interference noise.

Thanks everyone for your responses
2010 Concours ABS = Blue

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 09:12:50 AM »
On Long trips I do, but in town on hot days I have a cooler jacket i use. But it does't have a zippered pocket, so I am constantly worried about it falling out.

All great suggestions, but my question was about the change in sensitivity of the transponder. I will be checking to see if the addition of the PWM Light controller is creating interference noise.

Thanks everyone for your responses

I'll bet that it's the interference from the controller. There have been reports of similar occurrences. Some folks have even reported issues with interference from Speed Pass gas pumps. Their bikes wouldn't start till they pushed the bike away from the pump.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline chap

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 09:44:58 AM »
It will be easy for me to test. I have a main switch that will turn off the controller, and see if it goes away. I'll maybe wrap it in tin foil.

Just checked the volts on my brand new CR2025. 2.95v Grrrr. So I'll get another battery as well, but check it before I leave the store. We have lots of the CR2032's here at work 3.25v but just cant get it to fit properly.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 09:53:06 AM »
Yeah, that battery voltage is low so a new (a new battery with a proper voltage reading) battery might solve your problem.

The problem might also be caused by the wiring of the lights themselves. We have seen this before after the installation of HID headlights; the fob simply no longer works when kept where it was kept before the HID install and worked fine. The problem is in both the wiring and the square wave AC of the HIDs- it puts out a fair amount of electrical noise and that interferes with the transmission of the fob. I believe most, if not all, high output LED lights for vehicular use are PWM controlled which again will be a square wave and again put out a fair amount of electrical noise. It is the nature of all 'pocket' fobs that they put out a very weak signal due to the power available to them (a coin battery lasts years) so they are not able to punch through much interference.

Brian

It will be easy for me to test. I have a main switch that will turn off the controller, and see if it goes away. I'll maybe wrap it in tin foil.

Just checked the volts on my brand new CR2025. 2.95v Grrrr. So I'll get another battery as well, but check it before I leave the store. We have lots of the CR2032's here at work 3.25v but just cant get it to fit properly.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 01:48:21 PM »

Don't forget the tin foil for the helmet as well...  Just sayin...

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 02:03:38 PM »
I believe if the battery was the issue he would get a low battery warning not a "No Transponder" warning. I don't think it sees it at all.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 04:00:56 PM »
I'll bet that it's the interference from the controller.

That is my guess too

There have been reports of similar occurrences. Some folks have even reported issues with interference from Speed Pass gas pumps. Their bikes wouldn't start till they pushed the bike away from the pump.

Well, the bike would, indeed, start if they just used the passive part of the active fob to start the bike :)  But pushing it away a few feet might be easier.  Just sayin'....

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 04:02:33 PM »
I believe if the battery was the issue he would get a low battery warning not a "No Transponder" warning. I don't think it sees it at all.

It is possible if the active fob battery were weak, it could be transmitting at a lower power level than "normal".  If the battery were over 1.5 years old (and absolutely if 2 years+), I would change it as a first test.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 04:33:17 AM »

Well, the bike would, indeed, start if they just used the passive part of the active fob to start the bike :)  But pushing it away a few feet might be easier.  Just sayin'....

I'm sure that you're right Max but it seems that some folks can't wrap their heads around how this system works.

Offline chap

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 09:20:54 AM »
I Installed a new battery 3.2v in the transponder, Still gives issues. So i turned of the LED Lights and bingo the transponder now works in the front glove box. So at least I now know the cause. I will store the transponder somewhere else from now on. Problem Solved.  Thanks All
2010 Concours ABS = Blue

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 03:53:36 AM »
Don't forget the tin foil for the helmet as well...  Just sayin...

The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.