Author Topic: Front Brake Caliper Rebuild or not  (Read 3957 times)

Offline DD2214

Front Brake Caliper Rebuild or not
« on: May 07, 2013, 04:17:36 PM »
Well, I did it. Can't believe I did it, but I did.
While replacing the pads, during cleaning up the right front caliper, while it was removed from the rotor ... I squeezed the lever several times. I now cannot get the pistons to go back in. I even tried bleeding off a little pressure, and that even with the reservoir lid off, and used a C clamp, no luck. Seals blown? Local dealer does not sell a rebuild kit, but will order new seals and such .. $160 ugh. Whole new caliper $310, might just do that. Any other ideas?
Thanks,
DD2214 (the DD is not for double dummy lol)
1999 zg1000
1979 R65
1984 FLT

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline DD2214

Re: Front Brake Caliper Rebuild or not
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 05:01:34 PM »
Great! Thank you very much.

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 05:11:34 PM »
You can not beat the murphskits price, or even approach it elsewhere. That being said, what is your dealer smoking that parts were going to run $160? bikebandit lists the 4 seals you need for $32 per caliper, plus shipping. Wild. Get the Murphs kit.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 09:25:50 PM »
Did the pistons pop out of their bore or can you not push them back now that they are extended? Pistons that will not retract into their bore may have issue with the return port in the master cylinder being gunked up.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline DD2214

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 06:41:23 AM »
More possible good news! Thank you all!!

-Murphs kit ordered! (even though it would be nice not to need it:)

-So, I may still possibly be able to salvage the current caliper!?! I'll try this evening. I was afraid to take the pistons completely out, yet, until I receive the rebuild kit, thinking the seals would for sure break then guaranteeing failure. It does seem as if there might be a check valve of sorts sticking up near the reservoir. I wish I had started the process by flushing and bleeding the system instead of saving that for last. The pads probably didn't really even need to be changed yet.

-(btw) I found a shop that has a parts bike of this type sitting around. It's been sitting for a while though. I wonder if the caliper is still any good, I suppose it'll just need some crusty gunk cleaned off of it. I think I will try to pick it up later. Only bad part is that he's a litttle proud of it... He may want about half of retail for it, which I think sounds a little high. I was thinking of offering closer to $40 than $150.

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 09:15:47 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:26:00 PM by knight_mare »

Offline DD2214

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 10:06:50 AM »
Thanks, Knight!  :D

I'm not tooo worried about it, just have a lot of other stuff to do, and this should have been a 20 minute job. Caliper is off of rotor, and started bleeding/flushing (C clamp still holding it together, (was hoping to not have to drain whole system down). Waiting on rebuild kit to arrive. Other side (left front) already done, cleaned up pretty well and new pads on, the old pads were not as thin or bad as I expected on either side but quite a gunked up, hairy mess from being not being ridden and stored a couple years outside? So, the extra time to clean/inspect was good.
Hoses 'look' okay btw, have not seen any signs of leaking. Still slightly concerned with master cylinder condition/return port (prob nothing flush/new fluid won't remedy), but for now just anxious to recover from my mistake.