Author Topic: Battery woo  (Read 2193 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Battery woo
« on: May 07, 2013, 08:17:25 AM »
Well, couple of weeks ago my stock battery played out. So bought a new one from local Rexx battery store. First couple weeks everything was fine. The bike sat out in rain for two days (covered of course). Yesterday morning, it will crank but not enough juice to turn engine over. I thought the battery is just drained. I jump started it with my truck battery, rode it to work. End of day, it does the exact same thing - fortunately a co-worked had some jumper cables to jump start again. Rode it around for at least half hour. When I got home, I shut the bike off and tried to re-start - same thing - weak crank. I am thinking I just got a bad battery, but I am being slightly paranoid that I got something draining battery....any thoughts?
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Battery woo
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 08:24:34 AM »
When running is it over 14v? If not, then you have a problem with the charging system.
Make sure that when you put the new battery in that the terminals were clean and a good tight connection.
If so, then probably bad battery. You should be able to take it back and have them test it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 08:25:13 AM »
Battery woo?  Is that a Chinese battery?   Based on your description it sounds like a bad battery from the get go but I would make sure that your connections are all tight.  Is the battery charging voltage from the display showing 14+ volts?  Also see if the voltage across the battery is approximately the same if you have a volt meter.

Seems Rhino beat me to it....aw shucks.

It's also possible that you have a farkle draining the juice but the only way to check that is with an ammeter in series with one of the battery cables.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 08:28:52 AM »
My stocker lasted over 3 years and because of KiPass I wasn;t ever stranded, but I had to replace battery.

2:00 am i bought a walmart battery.

it dies within weeks.  I got a hookup gal, Joni, at my local stealership.  She set me up with the OEM battery and a fresh FOB battery and life has been splendid  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 08:34:16 AM »
My stocker lasted a month shy of 3 years. Replaced with a battery from O'Reilly's and working fine for 2 months now.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 09:05:01 AM »
Charging system shows 14v approx. so I think that is fine. Taking the battery back today.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 06:11:06 AM »
6 years in August, 51,000 miles, ORIGINAL BATTERY!
Now I've gone and jinxed myself.  :yikes:
Seriously, I believe that plugging in the Accumate whenever it's parked in the garage has helped.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 09:40:51 AM »
Forgot to update, it was the battery. It was stuck at 10V the whole time the shop was trying to charge it. So I got a replacement. Lets see how long this one last - hopefully won't keep me stranded anywhere.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14