Author Topic: Help- rotors THIN, which ones to go with?  (Read 13674 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Help- rotors THIN, which ones to go with?
« on: May 06, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »
All my rotors, front  are worn scary  :censored: thin, backs are sorta ok but deep grooves in spots. 73,000 miles.

Which ones do I go with?  OEM? 

Or EBC "pro-lites", or is there something better?

You guys run aftermarkets with stock pads?

My track bikes were EBS rotors and HH pads, but my pads on the bike are in great shape wondering if its ok to slap 'em on new rotors
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Help- rotors THIN, which ones to go with?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 08:11:24 AM »
If the rotors are that badly worn I would not 'slap' the used pads on new rotors no matter how good they looked.  You probably could get by with it but the results may be unpredictable.  It's your  :censored: , not mine, though.  As far as rotors go, you've had good luck with the OEM, you may just want to stick with them or you could go aftermarket.  If you go EBC, you'll need to replace the pads anyway as they won't warranty the rotors if you use other than their pads.  I run EBC front rotors with EBC pads.

There has been some discussion on rotor warping issues on the '12 bikes.  This might imply that there could be some bad stock out there and that you may not want to use Kwak rotors, at least for now.  I'd go with the EBC  in your position.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 08:57:39 AM »
As this is what I know do the EBCs.  I wanna say they have only been to the track twice, the second hardly counts as it was a wet track day, but they did work nicely in the wet.  No fade or loss of feel, unlike the CL pads and a feel consistant feel, unlike the OEM pads.  Not that yu should ever experience these on the street but I am using a WOT, redline 4th, with a rapid decel for a 90 degree right hander for comparison.  The CLs were downright spooky, never again.  I only have 14000 on the rotors to date but no signs of warpage and the pads are wearing better.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 09:26:57 AM »
Thanks guys I'm ordering.

What are CL pads? 

I'm having a tough time getting a part # for the rear EBC rotor, can you help? Or are they same as a ZX14?
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 09:40:57 AM »
Thanks guys I'm ordering.

What are CL pads? 

I'm having a tough time getting a part # for the rear EBC rotor, can you help? Or are they same as a ZX14?
Still on the stock rear which is odd as during the commute days I used her heavily.  I see the rear going another 50k.  The CLs are the Carbonne Loraines.  Wooden feel for at least 1000 miles and OMG fade, like some gremlin slathered vaseline on the rotors at 120 :o  Yes, they were HH rated pads and no, I wouldnt mount them on a Trail 90 :P  But I would use them on a black bike ;D ;D ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 09:42:43 AM »
Awesome - My rear is thin as all ^%$# too, I can't find a replacement.  Fronts are in dire straights, I'll go ahead and order the rotors, pads, and did they come with the inner gasket or can I expect mine to be reusable?

Thanks!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 10:00:54 AM »
The shim was good to go.  The pads take about 150 to set in for nice street use and about 300 before they are at max feel.  I may take a peak at the pads today, they have 14000 on them so it is time to check em out :)  Regardless, i will be replacing them if needed with the EBCs.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 10:11:14 AM »
Galfer all the way, EBC would personally be my 2nd choice.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Son of Pappy

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 10:14:19 AM »
Galfer all the way, EBC would personally be my 2nd choice.
I had the Galfers, good pads for sure, but in the rain I lost some feel and in the PNW thats part of life :)  I only had them on for one trip to the track, no fade, great feel, and consistant.  I never tried the new OEMs, never felt the need so no opinion on them.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 11:34:58 AM »
I don't prefer galfer rotors/pads over EBC, nor will I take galfer brake lines over speigler or goodrich high end lines

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 03:37:34 PM »
All my rotors, front  are worn scary  :censored:

It's your  :censored: , not mine, though

My opinion is :censored: the %$**!*! :censored: :censored: and :censored: the !!$#@$$!# with :censored:
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 04:53:20 PM »
 :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 05:46:41 PM »
I truly can't find a rear C14 EBC rotor

Offline mike-s4

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 05:50:11 PM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 06:10:06 PM »
I truly can't find a rear C14 EBC rotor

You ain't looked hard enough....

www.murphskits.com has them. 

Offline Scaffolder

Joel from Maine.

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 08:04:40 PM »
Came across a place named MC motoparts on E-bay that have a lot of stuff. They've got rotors for the C14 at $200 for both fronts

Pete

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 06:12:41 AM »
Steve, did you mic your rotors? How thin are they? At 100,800 miles my fronts are probably under the limit 4.5 mm limit.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 06:56:04 AM »
thanks for the murphs link guys i don't know why i didn;t check there.

I didn't measure the rotors thinness but its amazing how thin they are with some huge grooves to boot.  Guess I'll measure them noisy biatches.

Regardless, they're going on a 1200 mile trip this upcoming weekend.....   mother's day in columbia and seafood in charleston sc  :D