Author Topic: HELP! Lost Bolt... looking for a Fairing bolt map  (Read 5406 times)

Offline Snype

HELP! Lost Bolt... looking for a Fairing bolt map
« on: May 04, 2013, 01:39:17 PM »
The key system on this bike is killing me!!!  Without the need to take the key keeps me forgetting to shut the bike down.  The result.. dead batteries.  The latest incident resulted in a tow.  AAA does not pay to jump-start bikes <grrr>.  Btw.. on this line, the tool kit does not come with a wrench to remove the metal plate holding the battery in.

Post tow, the driver handed me a fairing bolt that must have fallen off while towing.  I cannot find where it came from.  it is definitely a fairing bolt (rounded top with a plastic washer.  Does anyone know where I can find a map for the fairing bolts???

Snype

Offline mvjr1904

Re: HELP! Lost Bolt... looking for a Fairing bolt map
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 03:37:25 PM »
Not sure what year bike you got, but I'm sure they are all close to the same.
This link is from Ron Ayers for a 2011. Good starting point.  Maybe under "Cowling"
Post a pic to see what we are looking for

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/52/Year/2011/ModelID/9426/Model/Concours_14_ABS_(ZG1400-CBF)
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 05:09:20 PM »
If it makes you feel better, I keep doing the same.

Also, I rented a car through work and drove 3 hours to a meeting with a coworker. The car had a fob and was brand new (Chrysler 300). We went in to the meeting and came back out and were standing near the car talking and somebody leaned up against the car and said "Hey, this car is running!". Sure enough, I left it running 4 hours, it burned 3/8 of a tank of gas sitting there. Did I mention it was 95 degrees?  I got in and looked at the temp gauge and it was fine.  The car was nice and cool because the temp was set to 75 or so and it kept it there the whole time. Man, I got some guff about that, still hear about it.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 07:41:53 PM »
The key system on this bike is killing me!!! 

Assuming this is a C14 that you are talking about (I had a C10 and I don't recall anything special about the key), I've never had a problem with forgetting to cut the switchy thingy off on my 08.

As far as the bolt goes, it might help if you posted a picture of it.  And how do you know it was a 'fairing' bolt? 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 09:27:13 PM »
Don't use the kill switch. Just forget about it. I killed my battery because of it and now never use it. Just get used to turning the key off.
Look for a hole with no bolt!

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 04:58:16 AM »
At one time Brian (BDF) posted an alarm circuit that buzzed if the bike was shut down and the ignition was left on.  The circuit consisted of 2 components, a buzzer(sonalert) and a diode(1n4001). These components are readily available from Radio Shack.  You just had to tap into one wire if I remember correctly. I would suggest that you contact Brian and maybe he could republish his article or maybe try searching for it. 

Good Luck,
Fred

Offline Snype

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 12:47:00 AM »
Found it.....

The bolts for the 2012 are rather unique in look to their location.  This one was one of the short rounded Allen bolts with a plastic washer. 

Today, I finally had the time to walk through all of the bolt locations.  It was from a well hidden location pinning the under-side cowling together. I found the hole on both sides and had the wise idea to stick a finger in there.. one had a bolt, the other was missing.

I took this opportunity to re-snug all of my body work bolts. 

This whole process has led me to realize I need an Allen wrench (for the batter box) and a set of soft strap tie-down extensions added to my tool kit. 

What other tools have you added to the on-board tool box??

Thanks for the advice!
Snype

Offline chap

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 07:59:38 AM »
Why don't you just look at the parts diagram at www.kawasaki.com   Its under Owner Info, parts Diagram.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 08:28:05 AM »
Year ago when I took the MoST class, they told me to always shut the bike off with the engine kill switch. I still don't know why. I don't do that for this exact reason. I turn the key off to shut down the bike.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 08:29:11 AM »
Me too, but I don't do that either.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 08:47:17 AM »
Year ago when I took the MoST class, they told me to always shut the bike off with the engine kill switch. I still don't know why. I don't do that for this exact reason. I turn the key off to shut down the bike.
The reason for the kill switch usage was so it would become automatic in case of emergency.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 09:00:15 AM »
The key system on this bike is killing me!!!  Without the need to take the key keeps me forgetting to shut the bike down.  The result.. dead batteries.  The latest incident resulted in a tow.  AAA does not pay to jump-start bikes <grrr>.  Btw.. on this line, the tool kit does not come with a wrench to remove the metal plate holding the battery in.

Post tow, the driver handed me a fairing bolt that must have fallen off while towing.  I cannot find where it came from.  it is definitely a fairing bolt (rounded top with a plastic washer.  Does anyone know where I can find a map for the fairing bolts???

Snype

AMA membership will cover jumps
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 09:04:34 AM »
Don't use the kill switch. Just forget about it. I killed my battery because of it and now never use it. Just get used to turning the key off.
Look for a hole with no bolt!
:goodpost:

Offline chap

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 09:18:48 AM »

I beleive it is so you aren't moving your hands from the handlebar with the engine running. As memory serves.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 06:08:10 AM »
Routine. Practice makes Perfect!
Kill switch off, kill switch on, side stand down, bike onto side stand, steering to full left lock, turn stovepipe key to Parked position, get off bike and walk away.
Exactly the same as with a regular key, you just don't take it with you.
So, it's not the bike or key or KiPass problem, the problem is with the nut that holds the handlebars.  :rotflmao:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 02:40:13 PM »

The key system on this bike is killing me!!!  Without the need to take the key keeps me forgetting to shut the bike down.  The result.. dead batteries. 

I kill mine with the side stand in first gear when I stop. Not better, just different. Still causes the same problem, so I added
the Fred Harmon's version of Brian's (B.D.F.) warning buzzer. It's sort of funny, rarely does the buzzer alert me because until
 I get my helmet off and the ear plugs out I can't hear it, but all those people staring in my direction usually reminds me to
 turn off the stove knob before I can get my helmet off. ::)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 03:37:21 PM »
The key system on this bike is killing me!!!  Without the need to take the key keeps me forgetting to shut the bike down.

If you turn off the bike properly by turning the knob/key to "off" this would never happen.  It sounds like you are improperly shutting off the bike with the emergency cutoff switch on the handle.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 06:17:19 PM »
Or you could use the kill switch to kill the engine and then properly turn the stovepipe key to the desired location on the switch thusly satisfying all the requirements of shutting down the bike.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 11:54:10 AM »
That's too much to think about.  My brane hurts.