Author Topic: Need help programming spare fob  (Read 10949 times)

Offline SylvainBeauvais

Need help programming spare fob
« on: April 19, 2013, 07:00:55 PM »
Gentlemen,

I just purchased a new 2013 Concours 14 and my dealer has no idea how to program my new small spare fob.

They do not know which code is to be used. Here is a picture of the bag the fob came in. Does anyone know which is the correct code?

http://db.tt/fkzrqQWF

Thanks for your help.
Sylvain
2013 C14

Offline speed545

Re: Need help programming spare fob
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 07:07:22 PM »
no code needed. They have to progam it as a passive fob.

Last year I had to step into the garage and program it with the tech cause he didn't know either.

Are you from Quebec ?
08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 07:20:24 PM »
see reply # 2 

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1560.0

And welcome to the forum.

Offline SylvainBeauvais

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 07:40:17 PM »
Thanks. I did show them the Kawi document and they said it was only for programming the large fob. Honestly, they are a bit clueless. They kept telling me the CC fob was just a key holder for the spare key and can not be programmed. Yeah right, a $40 key holder...

Speed: I am from Gatineau, QC.

Sylvain
2013 C14

Offline speed545

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 08:00:20 PM »
sylvain,

im from Mont-St-Hilaire. If you were closer I would ve suggest a few dealer around here.

honestly, I would ask your tech to give Kawa a call to figure out how it s suppose to be done or go to another dealer. It cost me 40 $ to have it programmed on a 08 C14

Welcome to the forum
08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 06:18:26 AM »
Thanks. I did show them the Kawi document and they said it was only for programming the large fob. Honestly, they are a bit clueless. They kept telling me the CC fob was just a key holder for the spare key and can not be programmed. Yeah right, a $40 key holder...

Speed: I am from Gatineau, QC.

The slimline fob that came with your bike didn't work with your bike right off the bat? It should have.

While it's true that the K-Tech document was written for use with the large fobs, it also covers the same programming of the slimline fobs. See page 10 for the relevant info.

As for which code number is used, see page 7 of this document.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 07:03:53 AM »
The slimline fob that came with your bike didn't work with your bike right off the bat? It should have.

While it's true that the K-Tech document was written for use with the large fobs, it also covers the same programming of the slimline fobs. See page 10 for the relevant info.

As for which code number is used, see page 7 of this document.
Has the OP tried the FOB as per the manual?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 07:05:31 AM »

Exactly.
Sounds like someone didn't read the manual...

http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/showOM.php?view_lang=EN&spec=US&book_no=99987-1748&lang_code=EN
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 07:11:06 AM »
You know, it really does help to read it once in awhile and even a review now and then doesn't hurt.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Makz58

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 08:26:19 AM »
Have your dealer look at this...sorry if it has been posted already.

Kawasaki Concours Wheel Sensor and Fob Registration
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 08:35:39 AM »
 :goodpost: 

I don't think that we've seen this video before, I know that I haven't.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Makz58

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 08:43:32 AM »

I ran into it about two months ago while searching for C-14 information....has some interesting information in it. Kind of assumed (bad word) that it had been posted here.
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline Riverdawg

• Guten Tag... Again
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 09:05:23 AM »
If it is a new (additional) fob, it and ALL the original fobs must be programmed as in the advisory Conrad has posted. You must have the code that was on the original bag or it is not possible and the fob is useless. If the "new" additional or replacement fob is registered without processing the originals they will be made not functional. Also, if not programmed and checked the big FOB can work in transmitter mode but not in transponder mode (dead or removed battery).  Many dealers are clueless to this process!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 09:26:08 AM »

I know *I* have never seen it.  That is a nice/informative video!  Music is WAY too loud, though :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SylvainBeauvais

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 01:47:28 PM »
Has the OP tried the FOB as per the manual?

Yes I did. The two fobs (large and small) that came with the bike work. The additional one I purchased is the one they cannot get to work.

Thanks for the video! I will show the video to my dealer and I won't charge them for it...

Sylvain
Sylvain
2013 C14

Offline SylvainBeauvais

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 01:48:26 PM »
Have your dealer look at this...sorry if it has been posted already.

Kawasaki Concours Wheel Sensor and Fob Registration

Thanks for the video, Makz!
Sylvain
2013 C14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 01:53:13 PM »
Yes I did. The two fobs (large and small) that came with the bike work. The additional one I purchased is the one they cannot get to work.

I have procrastinated for a long time, thinking I need a second spare (3 total).  So far so good, though.  It is sad your dealer doesn't know how to program it, but not terribly surprising, either.  The Concours is an expensive and also reliable bike and most dealers don't move many of them.  That means their service departments don't see many either.

Offline SylvainBeauvais

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 03:13:42 PM »
You know, it really does help to read it once in awhile and even a review now and then doesn't hurt.

Thanks for the suggestion to read the manual. I did read it from cover to cover.

The problem is that the dealer does not know how to program an additional fob.
Sylvain
2013 C14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 03:19:22 PM »
I would... ::)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 03:56:05 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion to read the manual. I did read it from cover to cover.

The problem is that the dealer does not know how to program an additional fob.
aahhh, the solution then is to get the dealer to read the manual. Isn't that what the labor charges cover? Reading the book then doing the work? Good luck with your dealer.