Author Topic: Holy Crap SteveWFL was right!  (Read 13549 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Holy Crap SteveWFL was right!
« on: June 02, 2011, 08:00:06 PM »
I put my new 190/55 PR2 on today and I have to give it to SteveWFL.......... this is a great tire.  Turn in is noticebly quicker than the Shinko Raven and the 190/50 PR2.  I only got to ride about 30 miles and am completely impressed, I have found my tire to stick with as long as I get decent mileage out of it.  I ended up getting about 6300 miles (completely shagged) out of the Raven which was a little more than the PR2 that it replaced.  Thanks for hyping the 55 Steve!
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Holy Crap SteveWFL was right!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 08:07:10 PM »
I just ordered some Pirelli Angels today, however I almost pulled on the PR2's. I still am very impressed with the Dunlop Roadsmarts, I have almost 8k on them with probably another 1k "very safely" left. So why did I opt for the Angels....cause Cap'n Bob endorses them!!!! :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 08:08:19 PM »
Thanks for the report Jeremy.  I'll probably switch to 55's in a month or so.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 08:13:01 PM »
I just ordered some Pirelli Angels today, however I almost pulled on the PR2's. I still am very impressed with the Dunlop Roadsmarts, I have almost 8k on them with probably another 1k "very safely" left. So why did I opt for the Angels....cause Cap'n Bob endorses them!!!! :thumbs:

Cap'n Bob also endorses Yamaha since KiPass hated him, so are you gonna trade for an FJR?  ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 08:22:23 PM »
Cap'n Bob also endorses Yamaha since KiPass hated him, so are you gonna trade for an FJR?  ;D

Ummmmmmm...........NO.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline DaveO

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 09:04:54 PM »
180/55 would be better choice IMO .
Weighs less and costs less.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 09:14:36 PM »
I have the 180/55 on my brcause the dealer didn't have the 190 when I needed a rear tire, it seems to work great so far

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline PH14

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 09:37:56 PM »

I got the Angels before Winter since I heard they worked better in the cold than other tires. I rode them all Winter in Pennsylvania and loved them. I'm loving them even more now that it's warm.

Offline koval68

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 09:52:31 PM »
Brian! I was told by my supplier that Angels in 190/55 are available now and he will have them in the next couple of weeks.
Go with 55's if you can, maybe change your order if you have that option.
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 06:30:10 AM »
so for us guys with ABS/TRAC would this be a wise choice to switch tire sizes?
i know on a car it will mess with the ABS/TRAC ECUs, and i would assume that it would do the same on a bike......right?

Bob

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 06:42:01 AM »

Correction. Bob just happens to own and ride an FJR. He doesn't endorse any particular motorcycle. Since peoples taste's, fit and needs vary from person to person. He feels that only the perspective buyer/owner can know what is right for them! He does in fact recommend many bikes including the C14 and FJR. But not any full fledged endorsement, since people have different needs and tastes that might and do differ from what his may be!  ;)

Don't you just love how he posted that like a third person!   8)

Offline mkorn

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 07:05:07 AM »
Glad you added the last line ... cause i was/did comment.    ;D
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 07:32:31 AM »
Brian! I was told by my supplier that Angels in 190/55 are available now and he will have them in the next couple of weeks.
Go with 55's if you can, maybe change your order if you have that option.

I ordered them yesterday from Competition accesories, it seems they have already shipped. What is the advantage of going with the 55's?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 08:41:10 AM »
What is the advantage of going with the 55's?

That's what I'm wondering.

Offline koval68

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 09:23:26 AM »
I ordered them yesterday from Competition accesories, it seems they have already shipped. What is the advantage of going with the 55's?
That's what I'm wondering.

Quicker steering, more contact patch at full lean. At the present time I have 190/50 Angels on my bike but as soon as the need arises for new rubbers I am going with 190/55s.
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 09:26:52 AM »
It's probably a HUGE mistake to tell Steve he's right about something. Plus, that means now he'll need to buy a 4XL size helmet.   ;D

Just saying . . .

Bob

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 10:44:09 AM »
It's probably a HUGE mistake to tell Steve he's right about something. Plus, that means now he'll need to buy a 4XL size helmet.   ;D

Just saying . . .

I wanted to say that, but i figured that even a broken clock is right twice a day. So why not let him have his fun!  :rotflmao:

Bob

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 10:45:37 AM »
Quicker steering, more contact patch at full lean. At the present time I have 190/50 Angels on my bike but as soon as the need arises for new rubbers I am going with 190/55s.

IMO, You seem to do OK on the 50's!  :thumbs:

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 11:49:37 AM »
There ya' go Bob, fixed it up for ya'.

Brian

Correction. Bob just happens to own and ride an FJR. He doesn't endorse any particular motorcycle but does find his cane fits a Fudger better and a Snuggie looks better flapping behind of of those things. Since peoples taste's, fit and needs vary from person to person. He feels that only the perspective buyer/owner can know what is right for them! He does in fact recommend many bikes including the C14 and FJR. But not any full fledged endorsement, since people have different needs and tastes that might and do differ from what his may be!  ;)

Don't you just love how he posted that like a third person!   8)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 11:51:39 AM »
The contact patch area will stay the same given the same bike weight (gross) and tire pressure. Only reducing the tire pressure or increasing the weight on the tire will increase the contact patch size.

I am not even going to comment on the 'need arising for new rubbers'.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com