Author Topic: Wal-Mart expands shop-with-iPhone program  (Read 5449 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Wal-Mart expands shop-with-iPhone program
« on: March 20, 2013, 02:28:06 PM »
The company is happy with tests that allow customers to scan items with their phones and check out on their own.

Wal-Mart (WMT +0.75%) said Wednesday that its test program that lets shoppers scan their own items with iPhones has been a success.

The company is expanding the "Scan & Go" program to more than 200 stores from the 70 test locations, Reuters reports. In the program, shoppers go around the store and use their iPhones to scan the items they want to buy. Then, they pay for their items at self-checkout counters.

The program only works with iPhones, but Wal-Mart plans to expand it to Android devices.

It's another way for Wal-Mart to get customers in and out of stores without talking to a single employee. If the program goes well, it would likely lead to reduced worker hours and less money spent on salaries.

Wal-Mart already uses self-checkout lanes at about 1,500 stores, and is adding them to 1,000 more stores this year, Reuters reports.

Some of the cities getting the "Scan & Go" technology include Phoenix; Dallas; Seattle; San Jose, Calif.; and Portland, Ore.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

devilboy

Re: Wal-Mart expands shop-with-iPhone program
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 03:10:06 PM »
Wal-Mart has been cutting  people out of the equation for years.  In my former industry Juvenile Products , all of the  manufacturer's representatives  were commission only including the reps that called on Walmart as part of their Territory.  In about 1993, Sam Walton decided that NO rep was going to make money on  sales to Wal-Mart and insisted  that a company man call on them that was salaried and it was part of his job. The guy that repped the same line as me  nearly had a heart attack when he heard that he was going to be out $750,000/yr very shortly..It didnt matter how reps complained. There were people that called on Sam himself when he  ran  the one store  and he knew personally  but that meant nothing. Walmart will not be happy  until every employee is gone
and every competing business is gone. Part of this thinking trickled down to the box stores I called on to do education and they wanted lower prices and only that  could be accomplished was by "downsizing" the rep force. This is the new face of business
where  employees are downsized, hours cut and benefits shrunk or lost....  Welcome to  1984  ( a little bit  late)

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 03:49:39 PM »
I remember when they put in a SuperCenter in Katy, TX.  I was soooo happy!  There was only a Brookshire Brothers in town, and they closed pretty early... didn't have a huge selection of stuff... or drive 10 miles over to Fry Rd. 

Over the years, they put in the self checkouts at that WM, before 2007...  They just put them in the WM here in Brighton... LOL!!!!

I'm to the point where I won't set foot in a WM... I don't like their business practices (overseas anyway)... and I'm not real happy with employee 'tudes either.  I'll drive over to the Super Target, 99 times out of the 100... much happier employees there.     
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

motocopter

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 06:14:26 PM »
So, if I never get an iPhone, W-M would have to have employees at the registers, right?

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 08:54:53 AM »
And how is Target any different?
I guess you want to go back to the days where an employee selected your goods and you paid them?
Most stores have self checkout lanes now. WM is no different.
These companies can also choose to not do business with WM if its so bad.
That said, when my local grocer introduced checkerless checkout they put a sign above it that read, "self checkout-for your convenience".
I told the manager the checkers were there for my convenience. The checkerless lanes were for THEIR convenience and I will continue to use the lanes staffed by employees.
If you want me to do their jobs you'll have to pay me.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 09:06:31 AM »
I love ATM's. I don't miss bank cashiers and no access to your money except 9-5 M-F. I like to pump my own gas and pay for it right at the pump. I don't miss pump attendant's and I don't miss going inside and standing in line to pay. Technology marches on and yep I'm old enough to remember all of that. This is no different and WM is no different to embrace technology that makes them more competitive. The market will determine if this does indeed make them more competitive. People are free to vote with their feet and that is as it should be.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 09:34:21 AM »
I guess you want to go back to the days where an employee selected your goods and you paid them?
Most stores have self checkout lanes now. WM is no different.
These companies can also choose to not do business with WM if its so bad.
That said, when my local grocer introduced checkerless checkout they put a sign above it that read, "self checkout-for your convenience".
I told the manager the checkers were there for my convenience. The checkerless lanes were for THEIR convenience and I will continue to use the lanes staffed by employees.
If you want me to do their jobs you'll have to pay me.

This we agree on....+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 09:38:12 AM »
The self checkouts allow me to limit my interaction with people I don't want to have a conversation with anyway.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 09:57:23 AM »

It's different to ME.  I see and feel the difference when I walk into the stores... even something simple like using the pharmacy was a huge difference between the two.  I also get to direct a percentage of my purchases back into my local school system with Target.
Rob

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 11:24:44 AM »
It's different to ME.  I see and feel the difference when I walk into the stores... even something simple like using the pharmacy was a huge difference between the two.  I also get to direct a percentage of my purchases back into my local school system with Target.
Not to mention the 5% off you get at the register for using a red card.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 12:45:10 PM »
Not to mention the 5% off you get at the register for using a red card.

+1 and the additional 5% with pharmacy rewards.  8)
Rob

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 02:21:40 PM »
The whole shopping experience in TARGET is better, plus you don;t have to deal with the peopleofwalmart.com types....  HUGE plus!

I'll pay extra to shop there  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 02:43:25 PM »
So Target admits to charging 5% more...or in another way they could easily charge 5% less and still make money. Oh, the humanity! Such greed (tongue firmly in cheek)!
And then to say THEY give money to schools? More like their customers who are already over taxed.
Gimme the low prices.
Plus WM has guns and ammo.

Maybe that's why WM is so successful.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 02:49:04 PM »
WM used to have guns and ammo...
Rob

motocopter

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 04:01:39 PM »
The whole shopping experience in TARGET is better, plus you don;t have to deal with the peopleofwalmart.com types....  HUGE plus!

I'll pay extra to shop there  :D

I'm the same way with groceries at Publix. I've been to  a W-M twice since last May.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 05:27:56 PM »
So Target admits to charging 5% more...or in another way they could easily charge 5% less and still make money. Oh, the humanity! Such greed (tongue firmly in cheek)!
And then to say THEY give money to schools? More like their customers who are already over taxed.
Gimme the low prices.
Plus WM has guns and ammo.

Maybe that's why WM is so successful.

I'll pay more to shop in a nice atmosphere, short lines, glossy floors, high maintenance pretty wiminz, and avoid the peopleofwalmart.com types over in the wal-mart store

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 08:41:41 AM »
Short lines because everyone else is at WM paying lower prices for the same item!
Target is the Menard's of the big box home improvement stores.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 08:26:32 PM »
Short lines because everyone else is at WM paying lower prices for the same item!
Target is the Menard's of the big box home improvement stores.

I agree-

Actually there are more lines open at target, even though there are less people shopping.  And if one of those lines gets more than 2-3 people, they'll open even more lines.

Again I'll pay a couple of pennies more per item for the better shopping experience    :D

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 11:07:19 AM »

Actually there are more lines open at target, even though there are less people shopping.  And if one of those lines gets more than 2-3 people, they'll open even more lines.

Again I'll pay a couple of pennies more per item for the better shopping experience    :D

+1  and Target has big red balls!

Rob

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 11:43:50 AM »
I'll pay more to shop in a nice atmosphere, short lines, glossy floors, high maintenance pretty wiminz, and avoid the peopleofwalmart.com types over in the wal-mart store

There are SOOO many PG-13 comments that I could make concerning this photo, but I'll be good since this is a family forum.  8)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold