Author Topic: Valve Lash - what gaskets needed?  (Read 2569 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Valve Lash - what gaskets needed?
« on: March 05, 2013, 06:45:45 AM »
Anyone know what gaskets or kit I need to order for a valve lash check?  Thanks in advance!    :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Valve Lash - what gaskets needed?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 07:04:21 AM »
When they did mine, this is what they charged me for...

11061-02 Valve Cover gasket
92055-008 side cover gasket
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 07:10:52 AM »
I'd buy the spark plug well gaskets, and O-rings for the valve cover bolts, also. Cheap insurance, especially since Your ZX14 had such an oil leak issue. Maybe you can avoid that on Your Connie. :-D
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

motocopter

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 08:17:09 AM »
I'd buy the spark plug well gaskets, and O-rings for the valve cover bolts, also. Cheap insurance, especially since Your ZX14 had such an oil leak issue. Maybe you can avoid that on Your Connie. :-D

+1  8)

On-line price for each is a wide range for these items. Do snoop around. After buying at Bike Bandit, I found a better price at Ronayers.

Had a leaking valve cover gasket on the 2K8Z1K, and replaced all due to the effort to get in there.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 09:06:43 AM »

Probably a good idea if the bike has some miles on it, which Steve does.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 04:18:43 PM »
I would change the o-ring on the cam sensor while you are under there. Sometimes they leak onto the exhaust. And change the spark plugs. And the air filter. And the gaskets on the exhaust pipes, or at least tighten them. And the gasket on the coolant drain plug. Change your oil plug and gasket. Check your gas tank for rust on the exterior. That should get you started. Fork oil and seals good?
2008 C-14

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 07:29:49 PM »
Thanks!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 04:13:22 PM »
All good advice regarding the seals and various O-rings already mentioned IMO. Also, you might want to buy a few of the O-rings that fit the metal piping under the valve cover- not sure of the part number but each stem of the plumbing has two O-rings on it and they get nicked when being reinstalled sometimes. I would suggest wiping each pipe down and checking all of the O-rings and replacing any of them that show signs of cuts or flattening.

Brian

Anyone know what gaskets or kit I need to order for a valve lash check?  Thanks in advance!    :D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com