Author Topic: New Concours riding impressions, and a few questions.  (Read 18571 times)

Offline tbanzer

Re: New Concours riding impressions, and a few questions.
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2013, 09:20:38 AM »
The first time I opened up the throttle on the way home from the dealer I felt violated. They have denutted the zx14 WHY? I was within a phone call to purchase a turbo untill I was made aware of the cast pistons. Would anyone on this board not be happy with the bike if it had another 40hp? I think its sad that a 1400 that came from one of the most powerful motorcycles produced can be out run by a 600. The reason I bought this bike and left my c10 was because I rode a zx14 few days before.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2013, 09:30:12 AM »
This touring bike!  ;)

I gotta agree with VirginiaJim, "all this power stuff is relative to what bike you had before the C14".
The first time I wrung my C14's neck, it felt like I was dragging an anchor.  Now, four years and 45,000mi. later, it feels like a rocket ship! ;D

Bingo! If you really want ZX14 performance, get a ZX14. Or if you want more touring comfort, get a C14. But because of the shaft drive and more weight the C14 is never going to be as fast as a ZX14. But still about as fast a bike with shaft drive, electric windshield and massive side cases that you can buy. It's all about compromise.

Offline lemosley01

« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2013, 08:52:35 AM »
I want a ZX14 with C14 comfort. It really isn't THAT hard.

I test rode a 2001 GL1800 with 117,000 miles on it Saturday. I know that that the C14 is faster, but at low RPMs - which is where most of us spend the most time, the GL1800 'felt' just as fast. (edit: not fast - quick to 45 and 60) This is a bike that is over 200 lbs heavier.

The C14 is a heavy bike, and to restrict it's output below 6000 RPM just doesn't make sense - unless the decisions was being made by lawyers, accountants, and the EPA (probably all 3).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 10:20:42 AM by lemosley01 »

Son of Pappy

« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2013, 08:58:40 PM »
I want a ZX14 with C14 comfort. It really isn't THAT hard.

The C14 is a heavy bike, and to restrict it's output below 6000 RPM just doesn't make sense - unless the decisions was being made by lawyers, accountants, and the EPA (probably all 3).
Easily overcome.  45 minutes to yank the flies and install a PCV.  Go whole hog, get a full AreaP pipe set, Auto tune, and install a set of ZX14 TBs.  Roughly $1500 for a real power increase and in my experience, no downfall (helping the economy one tank at a time).  Words do it no justice, ya just have to ride it with the mods to truly appreciate it.  As a comparison, take 2 MX bikes, a 250 and a 450.  Both have gobs of power, but the torque in the 450 just pulls forever.  No waiting for the hit, it's just there.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2013, 12:26:53 AM »
while I agree with SoP that you can get more and better power delivery by performing some changes (some of which I did), we are actually fighting what Kawasaki spent millions for. My personal conclusions: a bike this size is not for beginners, yet we get an electronic nanny, space and weight that could've been used for a CC or whatever, or another bit of fuel tank, and leaving the power delivery as it is, thank you very much.
I'll give you an example of another intake system on a bike that could've been great, yet it is insuferable: the K1600 from BMW. It has 1 butterfly (count them: one) feeding the six cylinders. It doesn't have an arrangement in parallel of 6, 3 or 2, because of cost, weight and building space, and it doesn't need butterflies in series because it's computed controlled anyway (with a stepper motor). Yet because the air filter seats so deep in the chassis, there is a long pipe and therefore it takes some time for the column of air to react when the butterfly opens. This translates in a feeling of complete detachment from the throttle input to the engine power delivery, regardless of how well the electronic is programmed (which it is). It's just physics.
Back to the C14, I like this bike a lot, but there were some decisions in the process of making it happen that I don't agree with.
But slow? compared to what, exactly? a Veyron is slow compared to an F-15.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2013, 05:01:05 AM »
The first time I opened up the throttle on the way home from the dealer I felt violated. They have denutted the zx14 WHY? I was within a phone call to purchase a turbo untill I was made aware of the cast pistons. Would anyone on this board not be happy with the bike if it had another 40hp? I think its sad that a 1400 that came from one of the most powerful motorcycles produced can be out run by a 600. The reason I bought this bike and left my c10 was because I rode a zx14 few days before.

Before I changed exhaust and did the Flash I rode with a few 600s and they had nowhere near the power of a stock ZG ::) something is wrong somewhere, when I told them I was getting the flash one of them said WHY that thing is a rocket? ?????
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline fsr402

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2013, 06:19:12 AM »
I bought mine late last summer used. It already had a full Muzzy system and a power commander on it. I have no idea what else is done as I have not looked. But I do know that the low end on it is amazing. At low speeds I use 2nd gear just so I'm not jerking around because of the snappyness.
FYI I raced motocross for 15 years, my last MX bike was a YZ400F bored, stroked, ported and milled head. I'm used to quick bikes but this thing is a beast.

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2013, 06:45:09 AM »
Easily overcome.  45 minutes to yank the flies and install a PCV.  Go whole hog, get a full AreaP pipe set, Auto tune, and install a set of ZX14 TBs.  Roughly $1500 for a real power increase and in my experience, no downfall (helping the economy one tank at a time).  Words do it no justice, ya just have to ride it with the mods to truly appreciate it.  As a comparison, take 2 MX bikes, a 250 and a 450.  Both have gobs of power, but the torque in the 450 just pulls forever.  No waiting for the hit, it's just there.

When I bought mine last year, all these mods had already been done and it is MUCH more powerful than the BMW K1200GT I came off of. The power is awesome! Maybe arguably even a bit much. I've never ridden a bone stock C-14, so I really have no idea what the difference is. This is my 25th bike over the years and I've always been into performance, but I think I've finally reached a point where I'm satisfied. That being said, I also think that at 53 years old and survived some serious crashes, both racing motocross and on the street, I'm about done with my want of "more power". I've hit pavement before. It is HARD and unforgiving. My body still feels the effects every day. It sounds like some of these guys on here hasn't had that unpleasant experience yet. Go ahead, you'll get it one day. Be careful how much power you wish for, you just might get it! LOL! I've already told the wife that the next one in the stable will probably be a full on touring bike. I've reached a point where I have come to the realization that there is NO WAY I can use the power available on this bike 100% and possibly survive. Good luck y'all.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2013, 09:22:44 AM »
I did a full dual Muzzys system, pulled the flies, K&N air filter, and PCV with custom map on dyno... doing that added 10% hp.  :)

Offline jay450

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2013, 12:43:31 PM »
Jim well said,

Ive had bikes from mopeds to ducati (998) and a lot in between.  At 56 my concours is the perfect blend with power and comfort. And i did test drive a 1800, before i bought the c14, no were near the power of the c14 but still a nice bike. maybe for my 60th birthday.  or not im really enjoying  the concours.  its going to be with me for a long time.

Have fun and ride safe.