Author Topic: New Concours riding impressions, and a few questions.  (Read 18689 times)

Son of Pappy

Re: New Concours riding impressions, and a few questions.
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 10:44:23 PM »
Fusion paint inside.  Tape the edges carefully.  Easiest farkle but it will slow down an '08 by about %15 ;)

Offline billyzoom

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 11:07:19 PM »
I figure I'll keep the stock windshield for warmer months and the larger one for the cooler months.  I like that dark look, but the last time I tried painting my windshield was on my Ducati.  I painted the inside and it looked okay, but wasn't quite good enough for me.  I just bought a tinted shield and was happy.  If I need a smaller shield than stock, I may do that for the Kawi as well. 

I do plan to ride with the new shield before doing anything else with pegs or a new saddle.  We'll feel it out. 

Thanks for all the tips.
2007 Ducati S4Rs
2012 Kawasaki Concours

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 11:37:29 PM »
Riding the C14 is sweet indeed, but wait till you realize the mad pow-ah of KiPass
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 03:47:52 AM »
Here's a windshield thread that may interest you.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=914.0
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 04:55:01 AM »
Did you paint your shield Conrad, could ya share exactly what you did to get that dark?

Well, I started off trying to tint that shield using VHT Nightshades.   :-[

I was VERY meticulous in my prep and I did tape the edges as Chet suggested. As I was spraying the inside of the shield the damn spray can started to sputter (yes, I did test it first on some scrap and it was fine then) and f'ed up my nice smooth coat. I got pissed and ended up blacking out the shield with multiple coats. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline booger

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 06:11:21 PM »
Torque and power is disappointing so far.  It does NOT feel like a 1400 to me.

Yep, the C-14 is not a speedster.  I bought it as kind of a middle of the road performance tourer.  Faster than my Road Kings, but slower that my 'Busa and ZX-10R.  But it is underpowered for a 1400cc.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 08:23:57 PM »
Yep, the C-14 is not a speedster.  I bought it as kind of a middle of the road performance tourer. 

Middle of the road tourer compared to WHAT "tourer"?

Faster than my Road Kings, but slower that my 'Busa and ZX-10R.  But it is underpowered for a 1400cc.

I think that is more illusion than reality.  It is quiet, smooth, and aerodynamic with great protection.  It is faster than it appears.  It is not as "peaky" as a Busa, and is not as light as a ZX-10.  The C-14's power band is flatter/broader (which is nicer for touring) and it also feels stifled due to the secondary butterflies.  One you jump over the 4K RPM hump (flies/correctable) and account for the weight, the C-14 performs very well.

If you don't want comfort, quiet, storage, reliability, and amenities then get a ZX-14 which is a sports bike.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Cuda

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 03:21:41 AM »
A reflash changes everything down low
I even SEE MaxDog having it done
Group BUY Group BUY 8)
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 06:29:09 AM »
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline CADMAN97

• 2010 C14 ABS
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 11:38:15 AM »
But I've only had it to 5000 briefly, and typically under 4.
Hurry up & get thru the break in period, Connie just starts to wake up at 5k...& with the mods you plan on doing I think you'll notice a huge improvement.

Congrats & welcome!
1998 Honda Magna--->Sold | 2003 Yamaha FZ1--->Sold | 2003 Honda VFR800--->Sold | 2010 Honda VFR1200--->Sold | Kawasaki C14--->SOLD | 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000--->Current | 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300ES--->Current

Offline Jimmy Patriot

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2013, 08:14:15 AM »
I agree with Pokey. Some of us have even cut our stock windsheilds down for more airflow during the warmer months. 

Yeah the prior owner did a great job cutting down the stock shield......I surely would have butchered it.   An absolute necessity for Summer!

2009 C-14 ABS

Offline lemosley01

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2013, 11:22:50 PM »
Middle of the road tourer compared to WHAT "tourer"?

I think that is more illusion than reality.  It is quiet, smooth, and aerodynamic with great protection.  It is faster than it appears.  It is not as "peaky" as a Busa, and is not as light as a ZX-10.  The C-14's power band is flatter/broader (which is nicer for touring) and it also feels stifled due to the secondary butterflies.  One you jump over the 4K RPM hump (flies/correctable) and account for the weight, the C-14 performs very well.

If you don't want comfort, quiet, storage, reliability, and amenities then get a ZX-14 which is a sports bike.

Since I own a BKing, which is Hayabusa-powered, I will concur that the C14 does not feel like a 1400 should; this is mostly due to the secondaries. My ZX14 felt the same way, until I pulled the secondaries, which made it feel Ike it should have from the factory. 

Offline pistole

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 12:42:55 AM »
- past 6,000 rpms , the bike seems to get plenty fast , right quick.

Offline lemosley01

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2013, 09:18:10 PM »
- past 6,000 rpms , the bike seems to get plenty fast , right quick.

The secondaries are open and aren't reducing power.  The bike should feel like that everywhere. Instead, it has a feel that is kind of similar to a turbo spinning up.

Madcow

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 07:59:06 AM »
Instead, it has a feel that is kind of similar to a turbo spinning up.
I thought it felt more like a 2 stroke lol.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 08:09:13 AM »
Congrats and welcome.
I like the Ducati, but I like to bring stuff with me.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2013, 08:43:28 AM »
The secondaries are open and aren't reducing power.  The bike should feel like that everywhere. Instead, it has a feel that is kind of similar to a turbo spinning up.

This will help with that: http://guhlmotors.com/guts.html

Offline lemosley01

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 10:20:48 AM »
Yes, I've just been too cheap to get it done, but it shouldn't even be necessary. I have no idea what Kawasaki was trying to accomplish with the secondaries. They make even less sense on a ZX14.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2013, 10:43:10 AM »
Yes, I've just been too cheap to get it done, but it shouldn't even be necessary. I have no idea what Kawasaki was trying to accomplish with the secondaries. They make even less sense on a ZX14.

Just a guess but I would think it is to help meet pollution and import requirements. Seems like all the FI I4 bikes have them, not just Kawasaki.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2013, 10:50:27 AM »
This is from a DL1000 forum:

"To answer your question, the secondary throttle system helps manage and smooth throttle response in part-throttle situations by keeping the velocity of the air/fuel in the intakes high. It's also used to partially restrict engine output in 5th and 6th gear, but this is not its primary function."