Author Topic: Concours regrets?  (Read 18204 times)

YoDoc

Re: Concours regrets?
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2011, 10:31:09 PM »
I've only been on my C10 for about a month. I like it, but I was more comfortable on my Sportster. The handlebars were angled further forward, and the pegs were just a bit further forward, but I don't think they were any further forward. I had no windshield, and the only touring mods I ever made were a pair of old-school leather throw-over saddlebags and a Mustang seat.

I did the ENTIRE BRP on that thing, and numerous times did 300-600 mile days on superslab with absolutely no problems at all. LOVED it, actually.

Then I bought the C10, and I know now what I didn't then. Touring doesn't have to be grueling work. :)

Offline mkorn

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
I have no regrets ... i love this bike.   she isn't perfect, but damn close!
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2011, 12:24:29 PM »
Have you checked out these guys?

http://www.convertibars.com/

I don't have them, but I think I want them...

It doesn't look like they have anything for the C14.  I think I have a plan, I'm going to get a foam grip puppy, chop it in half and put the halves on the outside of each grip.  by widening the inside half of the grip, I should be able to achieve a slightly better angle.  If that doesn't work, I may try tennis racket grip.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Bob

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2011, 12:37:48 PM »
It doesn't look like they have anything for the C14.  I think I have a plan, I'm going to get a foam grip puppy, chop it in half and put the halves on the outside of each grip.  by widening the inside half of the grip, I should be able to achieve a slightly better angle.  If that doesn't work, I may try tennis racket grip.

I know one of the Connecticut C14 owners (Bill) who used the racket grip over his. I have to say that they seemd very comfortable and obviously thinker than the OEM grips!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2011, 12:52:04 PM »
I find it mind boggling that people find the C14's riding position too leaned forward.  To me the bars feel like ape hangers almost and my seating position is bolt upright.  Maybe I have long arms.  I have no sensation whatsoever of leaning forward.  Then again, I've always ridden sportbikes mostly.

I agree with ya 100%!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2011, 06:47:17 PM »

I know one of the Connecticut C14 owners (Bill) who used the racket grip over his. I have to say that they seemd very comfortable and obviously thinker than the OEM grips!

I read that somewhere else but must have forgotten about it, thanks for the reminder  I picked up a roll and used it to increase the inner diameter of the grips and from a quick trip around the block it looks like it will really help.  I don't lean on my hands too much, but when going around twisties and shifting a lot you are almost forced into it which is when I notice the shoulder issue.  I'll be going on a longer trip this weekend so if all goes well I'll do a little write-up with pics, otherwise I can simply unwrap them.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline yanks21

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2011, 07:25:50 PM »
I went from a FLHT harley to a C-14 last summer. I was having back aches, so this year I added the LSL handle bar set from murphs. It seems to have helped and I like the way it handles also.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2011, 07:53:45 PM »
I agree with that sentiment for the "sport" part of the equation, but in my experience, the long hours spent in the saddle for the "touring" side, a shorter windshield results in getting beat up with the consistent wind one experiences when running on the slab for many hours.  So if one wants to do long distance riding with this bike (or any bike really) a taller windshield is necessary.

I guess it all depends on one's particular use for the bike.  Unfortunately, no machine can do everything well as much as the ads try and tell us.  Though the adjustable windshield does allow one to keep it lower for the fun times and higher for the distance pretty well.

-David
Athens, GA

May be necessary for you, but not me.  I changed my '10 out to the lower 08 windshield.  I rode it 3400 miles in a week a few weeks ago with the windshield down the entire trip.  You young guys are a bunch of pussies. ;)
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Bob

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2011, 04:47:43 AM »
May be necessary for you, but not me.  I changed my '10 out to the lower 08 windshield.  I rode it 3400 miles in a week a few weeks ago with the windshield down the entire trip.  You young guys are a bunch of pussies. ;)

:rotflmao:

Offline Logansrun

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2011, 08:08:33 AM »
I appreciate all of the great feedback on this. And it confirmed what I thought I was experiencing, which is that as I've loosened my grip and begun to adjust my riding style and the use of legs/thighs/feet/hips, it has gotten better.
2011 Concours C14 (Black)

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2011, 01:25:24 PM »

The wind definitely helps to support the body and take weight off the wrists, also it helps in posture.  However, if your sleeve is 32 like mine it puts you in an uncomfortable position.   I adopted the Master Yoda riding position as indicated in my lengthy post and added risers with pullback to give me less on a lean.  When I rode sport bikes the lean was much more aggressive and definitely aided by the wind and peg position which forced support on the thighs.  In other words for me it was better to either be aggressively leaned or more upright, not in-between like I was on the C14 in stock trim.