Author Topic: Concours regrets?  (Read 18098 times)

Offline Logansrun

Concours regrets?
« on: May 31, 2011, 08:32:24 PM »
So, this will probably be a strange post... In 2007 I returned to my love of motorcycles with a Honda shadow 750, and a year later I test drove some larger Honda cruisers and bought a VTX 1300. I had it for almost 3 years and tweaked the heck out of it. From a comfort point of view, I had my VTX in a pretty good spot. But I remained disappointed with Honda and how badly they had cut corners on many components.

So I'd been thinking of a sport tourer for awhile and made the move to what I believe is probably the best sport tourer on the market -- a 2011 C14.

I've put 1100 miles on her so far. I immediately added murph's riser extensions and some grip puppies after just owning her for a day or two. The bike is head and shoulders above my old VTX in terms of quality and functionality, etc. But I'm wondering if I'll get to the same long-ride comfort level of my old cruiser. So I'm feeling a little bit of regret and wonder if others have been through the same feelings?

I need a seat fix and I feel like there are good options there. But my shoulders and arms are hurting before an hour is up. Before an hour is up, I'm already doing one handed riding to try and relieve the discomfort. (I'm 45 and in good health if that helps relate).

Is this an old familiar story that can be resolved? Or will I always be looking back with regret to my old cruiser? Any feedback is appreciated.

2011 Concours C14 (Black)

Offline accbiker

Re: Concours regrets?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 08:46:59 PM »
I too came from a cruiser and experienced a lot of the same pains that you wrote about for the first 2000 miles or so.  I really under appreciated the vastly different riding styles and feeling that a sport tourer has as compared to a cruiser.  I foolishly thought that I could simple go from on to the other effortlessly.  However, I stuck with it and now have 12k on her since Labor Day (including several 1000 mile days and multiple long distance trips) and love the bike while the cruiser is slowing rotting away in the garage.

I too added Murphs risers and then the Sargent low seat as my first two modifications.  Then a larger windshield.

So my advice is continue to go out a ride her.  Your body will adjust (I also used it as an excuse to hit the gym a few days a week for some basic cardo and upper body strength work outs) and before long you will be throwing her around like the best of them.

-David
Athens, GA

Offline jasonc32amg

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 08:57:19 PM »
Interesting. I've always had crotchrockets and most recently had an 08 zx10 and a Nomad 1600. I picked up the nomad to mellow out and have a more versatile bike. It turns out the cruiser killed my neck and wasn't as comfortable as the zx10. I wound up selling both and picking up the connie. It's the best of both worlds. No issues so far but I can see getting a corbin seat in the future. It sounds like you should give it some more time for your body to adjust. 

YoDoc

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 10:24:25 PM »
I came off a Harley, and onto a Connie, but the old one. I don't think that is all that important to this but, I would try a set of adjustable handlebars, like convertibars, or think about getting the conversion kit (if one is made) to switch to a "bar" instead of "tall clip-ons". That way you can control the angle your hands are at better. It's the next mod I'm planning, and cannot wait, as my left hand cramps constantly from being at the "wrong" angle. I rode a friends bike who has convertibars, and BAM! World of difference after I adjusted it to a more "cruiser-ish" angle.

Offline XHarleyRider

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 03:23:20 AM »
I squeeze the tank with my legs which helps me keep my weight off the bars.  This was something I had to think about at first but now comes naturally.  I came from a long string of Harleys so there was a fairly long adjustment period in changing how I rode.  For me the learning curve was part of the fun because I had to re-learn a lot of things to really ride this bike well.  Also,  I think once you log some hours in the saddle your muscles will adjust.  Try sitting on the bike on the center stand and squeezing the tank with your legs and make the effort to keep the majority of your weight off the bars.  This might not work for you overnight but it might help a little in the long run.  Check out the "For Sale" section on this site for a new seat if that is what you want.  There a some good deals.  Hope this might help some.  Good luck!

Offline Corpssgt

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 03:35:06 AM »
Logansrun google master yodas riding position and give it a read. It not about the c14 but the same principles apply. It didn't take me too long to make the adjustment. Now I won't put risers on a bike because it feels strange. Good luck.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 05:51:58 AM »
One reason people have problems on sport touring bikes is that they want to put a tall windshield on it - which they are not designed for.  The bike is designed for a slight forward lean.  Taking all of the wind off you means that more of your weight is being held up buy your arms instead of the wind.

As to hands going numb, this has become a common problem as well on many bikes.  I have some theories on it, but too long to go into right now. 
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 05:57:20 AM »
When you get a chance, post the reasons.  I'd be interested in hearing them.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline accbiker

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 07:05:55 AM »
One reason people have problems on sport touring bikes is that they want to put a tall windshield on it - which they are not designed for.  The bike is designed for a slight forward lean.  Taking all of the wind off you means that more of your weight is being held up buy your arms instead of the wind.

I agree with that sentiment for the "sport" part of the equation, but in my experience, the long hours spent in the saddle for the "touring" side, a shorter windshield results in getting beat up with the consistent wind one experiences when running on the slab for many hours.  So if one wants to do long distance riding with this bike (or any bike really) a taller windshield is necessary.

I guess it all depends on one's particular use for the bike.  Unfortunately, no machine can do everything well as much as the ads try and tell us.  Though the adjustable windshield does allow one to keep it lower for the fun times and higher for the distance pretty well.

-David
Athens, GA

Offline mstetson

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 07:13:06 AM »
My last bike (over 15 years ago) was a Suzuki 1400 Intruder.  It was more comfortable, but I never rode it the way I ride my C14.  Plus I now live it the mountains of North Carolina with plenty of twisties.

My hands bothered me for about the first 1000 miles until I stopped holding the grips so tightly.

I still have the stock seat. I added an Alaska Leather Butt Pad and I'm fine for 200 mile excursions.

My only regret was not buying my Connie sooner.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 08:55:32 AM »
When you have a few minutes read through this and give it some thought:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2766&page=1

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 09:19:49 AM »
I find it mind boggling that people find the C14's riding position too leaned forward.  To me the bars feel like ape hangers almost and my seating position is bolt upright.  Maybe I have long arms.  I have no sensation whatsoever of leaning forward.  Then again, I've always ridden sportbikes mostly.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 09:24:34 AM »
I also came from a cruiser class...

The first few months or ridding, I experienced a little pressure on my wrists and shoulders as my body adjusted to the new riding position. Also, being new to the bike, I continually had to remind myself to relax and loosen my grip on the handlebars. After 4 - 6 months or ridding, I became accustomed to the new ridding position and began to "enjoy" it.

I have absolutely no regrets buying my Connie. Even going into the BMW dealership, I find no desire to "upgrade" to another.

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 09:56:36 AM »
I've had both styles of bikes from cruisers to sport to duals and very shortly after getting my first C14 it was clear to me that I would need some better grips and bar risers. I've also gotten an Alaska sheepskin seat cover which just makes the long hot rides much more comfortable. Overall I'd have to say that my neck was the issue that seemed to bother me the most when I really started riding the Connie more. I was adjusted to the seating positions of my Dual-sport and KZ400 so it was an adjustment. I def have no regrets getting my Connie. In fact, when my '08 got totalled by a deer I just coudn't live without another!  8)
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 10:42:33 AM »
I've had both styles of bikes from cruisers to sport to duals and very shortly after getting my first C14 it was clear to me that I would need some better grips and bar risers. I've also gotten an Alaska sheepskin seat cover which just makes the long hot rides much more comfortable. Overall I'd have to say that my neck was the issue that seemed to bother me the most when I really started riding the Connie more. I was adjusted to the seating positions of my Dual-sport and KZ400 so it was an adjustment. I def have no regrets getting my Connie. In fact, when my '08 got totalled by a deer I just coudn't live without another!  8)

Neck problems can often be traced to the helmet, especially if it's a modular, which is the heaviest style. I've had neck problems for years, which really come into play when racing motocross. So I wear a carbon fiber Xpeed helmet on the Concours. Helps a LOT.

Offline tyler1015

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 11:37:18 AM »
Where did you get your xspeed from? also which model is it?

Offline curly

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 12:29:22 PM »
I miss my Buell Ulysses. I still hold a grudge agianst Harley for shutting them down as oppossed to selling them off. I like the Connie and it gets better with time. But there are days when I wish I had my Uly back.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 12:46:24 PM »
Where did you get your xspeed from? also which model is it?

Bear Motorsports in West Chester OH. It's the carbon fiber XCF2000 model, about $240. It's actually pretty much the HJC IS-15 carbon fiber helmet that's HJC no longer has. Xpeed made those. I paid about $240.

Not on their web site that I can see but you can call 513-482-9620. I know they ship.

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 01:02:02 PM »
Neck problems can often be traced to the helmet, especially if it's a modular, which is the heaviest style. I've had neck problems for years, which really come into play when racing motocross. So I wear a carbon fiber Xpeed helmet on the Concours. Helps a LOT.
Hmm...never quite thought about that. I've got an HJC full-face with the inner sun visor. For MX I use a regular HJC MX style helmet with goggles and never had problems with it. I feel like the wind on the Connie (when the screen is down) works my neck muscles somehow resuling in the soreness.
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline EpicBadass

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 01:12:45 PM »
If you're having regrets you clearly haven't rode the C14 enough  ;D

I just went from a Vulcan 900 to the C14.  The only things I will miss are the awesome looks (and the money i put into getting them), and all the compliments I get as I ride it. 

With that said my low-mid back was a little sore briefly but has actually gone away, ironically as my KB risers just arrived.  I think it just takes a little bit of time to get your muscles used to the new position.