Author Topic: C10 - part it out or sell it whole?  (Read 5592 times)

Offline pk74

C10 - part it out or sell it whole?
« on: January 27, 2013, 07:56:01 PM »
1992 45k, a few farkles.  Red, never repainted, but paint is in great shape.   Only fading is the black dash/knee panels.  Bar weights, autocom, upper and mid baker builts, awesome corbin seat, taller than stock windshield.

Bike hasnt been ridden more than around the block in 5 years.  I took it 2 years ago to have the carbs serviced.  Bike ran like its great self after, but it once again sat in the garage for two more years.  It starts and runs, eventually, on full choke until it gets warmed, then 1/4 choke.  Needs tires front and rear.  Altenator was replaced 4 years ago (100 miles). 

I wont be returning to riding anytime soon, if ever.  It kind of depresses me to see it in the garage, rotting away.  If it were you, would you part it out, or sell it whole?

Offline CRocker

• Arena
Re: C10 - part it out or sell it whole?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 08:22:45 PM »
Whole...
'02 C-10

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 09:52:41 PM »
  Please sell it whole. Taken care of these are great reliable bikes!!
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline pk74

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 10:02:33 PM »
Yes they are.  Im just out of resources and health to do so.  Given that it needs tires, carbs cleaned, and a new battery, what should i ask for it whole?  I would be willing to take bottom end of the range...

Please sell it whole. Taken care of these are great reliable bikes!!

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 11:09:16 PM »
It might depend on where you are located...ie...How much winter is left?  It could make sense to hang on a couple more months...

HTH...
'02 C-10

Offline pk74

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 07:07:18 AM »
I'm in NC.  As someone mentioned, it would take around $800-$900 to put it back in the condition it needs to be in. 

Offline Stasch

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 07:30:11 AM »
Sounds like a good carb cleaning is needed - good time for overflow tubes while you're at it.

It just seems wrong to part out a C10 with good fairing / body parts, nothing major wrong with it.  Faded black inner fairing parts are easy to get looking good again.

45K mi. is just getting started.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 02:57:47 PM »
Where in NC? I could be interested.

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 05:41:33 PM »
Parting it out will be a lot of work, doesn't generate the cash we always think it will, and you invariably end up with parts you can't sell at the end. Too much work for too little return.

Offline pk74

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 09:15:36 AM »
Is $1200 a fair price for it whole, considering the work?  I guess I need to make a new post in the for sale area before this one gets closed...

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 10:06:46 AM »
Posts don't get "closed", they just kind of end.  Sometimes they come back to life.

Sounds like a fair price.  People will of course want to reduce the price when they buy.  I would try to sell it just as the bike season starts in your area.  Give it a good wipe down and make sure the battery is charged.  Also, if it was me, I would dump the old gas out and put fresh gas treated with the blue Stabil back in.  Maybe an once or two of 2-stroke oil too.  Run it at least minutes to get treated gas into the carbs.  How quick it starts will probably determine if someone buys it or not for a good price.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline pk74

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 12:15:37 PM »
Followed your advice about draining the gas, replaced it, added a little blue stabil and maybe 1/4 ounce of 2stroke oil.  Charged the battery, and to my surprise the bike fired right up after 5 seconds of cranking. I managed to let it die, then restarted it - now i have gas coming out of the clear tube behind the petcock/ next to the seat while it is running.  Shut it down, but it sounded fine.

Offline pk74

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 06:26:13 PM »
Tapped the carbs with a screwdriver handle, stuck is now unstuck.  Great, now i have a running bike in the garage that i cant ride :/

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 06:34:36 PM »
Be patient. It was a nice day today and more on the way. Keep it running and someone will buy it for sure. ;)
2014 C-14 Red

Offline pk74

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 02:24:47 PM »
Here's a shot from earlier this afternoon..

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 03:58:22 PM »
Nice!  You really wanna' sell that?
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 04:10:56 PM »
That's REALLY nice looking!
'02 C-10

Offline pk74

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 04:08:09 PM »
Bought a new battery and put it in...she sure starts better. 
However, she still dumps fuel when its running.  I assume a stuck float still.

I apologize for the sound, the shakiness, and how crappy this video turned out, but im afraid to let it run for long with the fuel dumping...  In person, it sounds like a normal connie, not a tractor being stuffed into a crappy cellphone..

http://youtu.be/QSSwBSoKeSg

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 05:34:02 PM »

Yep, sell it as a whole bike.  Get some of that tire shine in a can or Mothers back to black for the bags & black plastic.
 Try tapping the inboard carbs w/ a long drift to see if you can persuade the stuck floats if they're stuck.
  Good luck.
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline lbreevesii

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 07:31:25 AM »
n00b here,  barring the unforeseen, i'm picking up this bike for my first.   I work with pk74, so I can beat him if anything comes up  ;D