Author Topic: Some real statistics on knife vs rifle homicide  (Read 7473 times)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
Some real statistics on knife vs rifle homicide
« on: January 07, 2013, 08:41:10 AM »
OK, I ran these numbers myself. I used the fBI homicide crime stats for 2011, and the us census numbers for the us for 2011.

rifle murders .10 per 100,000

knife murders .54 per 100,000

So you are 540% more likely to be stabbed to death rather than shot by an evil black "assault rifle", or any other rifle, for that matter.

Caveate - I have no horse in the race, I don't own anything that is considered an "assault rifle".

Citations:
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-20

http://www.multpl.com/united-states-population/table

Steve

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Some real statistics on knife vs rifle homicide
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 08:54:28 AM »
Steve I don't own any "assault rifles" either but I do own a couple of sporting/tactical rifles; nor do I own any "automatic" firearms either....

And it would stand to "reason" that a knife would be used a weapon more than a gun by the criminal element as they can be bought anywhere by anyone sans an ID or background check....

But then again we all know that those that wish to disarm the honest law-abiding person does not have good solid "reasoning" skills or commonsense either.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 08:59:55 AM »
Interesting stats, Steve.  I guess that means you shouldn't bring a rifle to a knife fight. 

I'm actually surprised that MORE people aren't killed with edged weapons.  Every time I go to the gun show, there are tables with rows of "Samurai" swords, large knives, bayonets, etc.  Every store that sells cooking / kitchen supplies has knife sets sitting out on the shelves.  I'm always waiting to see the reports of a mass-stabbing/slashing.  A whacko out for mayhem could easily kill or maim a dozen people in as many seconds and most of the crowd would never know what happened.  I guess it just hasn't been properly promoted by the media yet, but it WILL occur before too long.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline BackInTheSaddle

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 09:26:12 AM »
Steve, are there stats on "Multiple Murders" by gun vs. knife.  I can't recall an instance of 26 people being killed by knife.
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
You will not sway an anti-gun person, you can show all the statistics till your blue in the face. They are afraid of scary black rifles and pistols, and they would rather wait until law enforcement shows up "after" the crime is committed. A ban of some sort is inevitable, lets just hope it is minimal and not intrusive to our rights and privacy "wishful thinking".  ::)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 09:36:47 AM »
Steve, are there stats on "Multiple Murders" by gun vs. knife.  I can't recall an instance of 26 people being killed by knife.

I don't know what you're looking at; if you see a "26" that's the amount killed by knife, in that state, for all of 2011.

And if your post is a backwards method of proving the lethality of firearms being greater than that of knives, remember this - dead is dead, no matter how you got that way, and this PROVES you are 540% more likely to be killed by a cutting instrument rather than a rifle. If you think mass knife attacks don't happen, look up "knife attack at school in china" .

As such, why aren't we calling for a national ban on knives and cutting instruments? Steve

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 10:28:05 AM »

If your loved one is killed by someone, will it matter to you whether that loved one was killed along with 25 other people or just they were killed?

That is one interesting thing about our society.  Many people are killed by drunk drivers "one at a time", so it isn't a very big deal, but when many die at the same time, we consider it a big deal.   :o
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 10:32:25 AM »

There was a minor incident back in September of 2011, you may have heard of it, or maybe not.  Very nearly 3,000 people died directly as a result of assaults with box cutters,knives and edged tools.  No firearms involved.

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 10:52:01 AM »
Your right , we need to get cars and trucks off the road  they are WAY to DANGEROUS .
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

devilboy

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 10:57:21 AM »
FWIW  part of my personal daily carry of a handgun  includes an automatic  knife (which is allowed in FL with CCW)
and if a knife would diffuse or end a threat to my person  I would use that first.  It is all a judgement call as you probably wouldnt know your response to a situation until and unless it happens.
The knife is also very handy for opening letters cutting boxes etc.
My faves are a Piranha   mini Bodyguard (3 inch serrated blade)  and a Microtec Daytona (out the front 3.25 in) dual action.
I assure you they are both very sharp and deadly at close range.
I can see how many more deaths by blade  is likely as every single home  has at least one knife..

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 11:34:22 AM »
Well, well, what do we have here, Sen. Dianne Feinstein? An article by Breitbart.com’s AWR Hawkins says that, according to FBI murder statistics, more murders are committed with hammers than with rifles.

Kind of puts a nail in Feinstein’s argument that it’s important to get “dangerous weapons of war” off the streets, doesn’t it?

Feinstein, the driving force behind the original assault weapons ban that lasted from 1994 to 2004, said she would introduce legislation to the new Congress calling for a new, more aggressive weapons ban in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School tragedy.

The FBI statistics, from 2005 to 2011, show that more people were killed with “blunt instruments” like hammers and clubs than by rifles, which is what Feinstein wishes to ban again.

Hawkins wrote:

For example, in 2011, there were 323 murders committed with a rifle but 496 murders committed with hammers and clubs. While the FBI makes is clear that some of the ‘murder by rifle’ numbers could be adjusted up slightly, when you take into account murders with non-categorized types of guns, it does not change the fact that their annual reports consistently show more lives are taken each year with these blunt objects than are taken with Feinstein’s dreaded rifle.

Feinstein may want to take a look at those numbers. Better yet, have her take a look at the fact that in 2011, more than double the amount of people killed with rifles were killed by — wait for it — “personal weapons” like hands and feet.  She needs to realize we need our rifles for self-defense against people with hands and hammers.

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/01/04/fbi-stats-show-hammers-and-clubs-kill-more-people-than-rifles-13317

Offline booger

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 11:54:28 AM »
As such, why aren't we calling for a national ban on knives and cutting instruments? Steve

I understand there is a bill up in Great Britain pertaining to outlawing cutting instruments.  I'll see if I can't find it.

Offline Leo

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 12:05:05 PM »
Every firearm I have could be considered an "assault rifle" if I were bent on assaulting someone.   I am far from the most accomplished rifle shooter out there.  The rifles are not assault rifles.  CRIMINALS use weapons to commit assaults.

PALMA rifle (800,900,1000 yards with an iron sighted .308 including an M1a) and National Match course (200,300,600 yards) with a service or match rifle are my favored events.  Big Bore handgun Silhouette (50,100, 150, 200 yards with a handgun) is another favorite.    I didn't win but placed in 600 yard  black powder competition with a pedersolli copy of a shilo sharps blackpowder single shot, and placed in a 500 yard muzzleloader competition with a CVA copy of a Hawken rifle.  Almost every shot ended up in a pie plate sized scoring ring on a target. Plenty accurate enough to be effective.

I am convinced that a 500 grain hunk of lead is enough to do the job in the hands of anyone who is competent.  Yet everyone is terrified about that little black aluminum paratrooper rifle that shoots a round that is simply a version of a small .22 caliber varmint cartridge.  It just shows how effective propoganda is when applied to people that have been denied an education with exposure to basic laws of physics.

If I had to defend myself or an innocent person, my #34 Louisville slugger, my hammer, my kitchen knife or a beer bottle would be an assault weapon.  I cannot hardly watch the news anymore due to the redefining of terms. 
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 12:12:05 PM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 01:28:31 PM »
I understand there is a bill up in Great Britain pertaining to outlawing cutting instruments.  I'll see if I can't find it.

Don't waste your time, it's already been hacked to death....

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=12093.0
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 01:36:15 PM »
Ban all work at construction sites, much too dangerous.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ARS

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 06:51:35 PM »
Interesting stats, Steve.  I guess that means you shouldn't bring a rifle to a knife fight. 

I'm actually surprised that MORE people aren't killed with edged weapons.  .  .

Agree.  The amount of time it takes an attacker to close the average 7 yard distance is far faster than the average CCW holder to pull his/her pistol. . .myself included.  In Minn. you can open carry, but I've never seen anyone do so.  The obvious reason is to not bring attention to yourself, but perhaps I/we should.

Offline Xelvic

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 08:18:06 PM »

In China where they ban guns the crazies still get the job done with a knife. Here is one where the guy killed 8 kids and injured 15 with a knife.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osaka_school_massacre

Here is another one where the guy slashed 22 kids.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/14/15901085-villager-slashes-22-kids-with-knife-at-elementary-school-gates-in-china?lite
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 11:39:18 AM »
Truth.........all about agendas, all about agendas "and" people control.

Choose Your Own Crime Stats
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 01:43:59 PM »
Hey - thanks for that pokey - he's cited the same stats I drew my info from.

And when you hear that the "evil assault guns" are responsible for LESS THAN 3.5% of all violent crime in the US, you begin to see that those who fear them, probably fear them because "they look scary" more than because they are really causing mass mayhem.

Again, I don't own anything that could be considered "assault" so this is just based on facts, not my own agenda - steve