Author Topic: C14 - Let's play dodge the deer  (Read 12215 times)

Offline jamiemac

Re: C14 - Let's play dodge the deer
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 12:48:54 AM »
Hahaha! Excellent!
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
That was posted on ST-Owners a few years back when we had this discussion... was a very funny post.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 10:44:59 AM »
Can't say whether deer whistles work or not.  They seem to work for me on my cages.  They sure don't hurt.  They are a bit ugly but they don't weigh much.
 I think a good blast of the stebel as soon as you see the buggers does wonders.  The surprise usually has them running for cover as soon as they hear it.  The steady sound of any vehicle coming towards them doesn't get their flight response churned up but when you surprise their senses they usually make for the bush in a hurry.  This tactic only works when you see them early on so you can hit the horn in time.
We have huge deer here. My boys buck this year was around 300# drained, head on.  When motorists hit these with a cage it is a really a big deal , I can't imagine with a bike.  Hitting the horn as soon as seeing deer has worked for me alot. (only hit one and he was a surprise out of a steep ditch)  If you see one, count on more. Keep blowing your horn till you pass that area.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline brpo

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 12:20:27 PM »
Be careful! I read on the internet if you install it backwards it attracks deer. Really :) I read it on the internet...

Offline GaToR

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 10:24:13 AM »
Since the deer are so unpredictable perhaps slowing down might be ticket. Think of them as wet leaves on the roadway.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 10:47:45 AM »
Since the deer are so unpredictable perhaps slowing down might be ticket. Think of them as wet leaves on the roadway.

Slow down? That's crazy talk!    ;)

You don't always get a chance to see the deer, or the wet leaves for that matter.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 11:11:34 AM »
Must be riding a silver bike if you need to slow down.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 04:23:47 PM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 07:24:22 PM »
That's been posted here before.  What's the matter, Max, sleeping on the job? ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 09:03:23 PM »
That's been posted here before.  What's the matter, Max, sleeping on the job? ;)

This is the first time I have seen (more like heard) it!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 10:32:43 PM »
I'm back, and didn't hit any deer.  Its cold up there, thank God for heated gear!!!  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2013, 04:48:49 AM »
I'm back, and didn't hit any deer.  Its cold up there, thank God for heated gear!!!  ;D
Glad You made it safe. Heated gear rocks!
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2013, 09:29:58 AM »
Glad You made it safe. Heated gear rocks!

Thanks, and yes sir I agree heated gear is the bomb-diggity
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2013, 01:08:30 PM »
Years ago I rode a Virago 750 in NC. On my 28 mile commute home, I almost hit a raccoon, a possum and a deer. Stopped at Auto zone or such and mounted up some deer whistles for the heck of it, and haven't 'almost' hit anything since.
Logic dictates these things are worthless, but Ive put them on every bike since.
If for nothing else, I figure they're my lucky charms.
Like those bells I see Harley's. 
8)

Squirrels and birds are another story altogether though... I believe they're suicidal.
 :'(
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline ARS

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2013, 03:33:34 PM »
An aquantence was killed in northern Wisconsin  when a grouse flew across the road and hit him in the chest and knocked him off his Harley.  Animals are unpredictable.  If a deer was sitting tight in the ditch, would one of these whistles potentialy spook it into action resulting in a suicide attempt?

Offline Pepsi Supplier

• Learn to ride, it is your best investment.
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2013, 12:22:11 PM »
 Just run them over...

No crash on this hit, but extensive front end damage to the bike.

Best of all one less deer to look out for

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2013, 07:45:42 PM »
Just run them over...

No crash on this hit, but extensive front end damage to the bike.

Best of all one less deer to look out for

^^^^^ wow!   :o

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2013, 08:01:51 PM »
That's making deer sausage, the hard way.

Offline Pepsi Supplier

• Learn to ride, it is your best investment.
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2013, 12:15:27 AM »
^^^^^ wow!   :o

ZX-11 vs Deer.

Deer was dead, bike was rideable but pretty torn up.

I was just joking about the run them over part, I strongly recommend against this. This guy got caught up under the bike for quite a while, damn near cut it in half.