Author Topic: New C14 owner!!  (Read 12481 times)

Offline jbinaz

Re: New C14 owner!!
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 06:16:16 PM »
Congrats!  I just purchased a new 2012 C14 on Saturday for $12890 plus tax and license. After a 200 mile ride on Sunday, I Love this cycle. Now I need to keep my 1999 C10 Barney Happy in the garage.
COG #3441, 2012 Concours 14,
1999 Concours
2005 KLX 300R
1982 Suzuki GS 750E

Offline Centurion

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 08:45:47 PM »
Ugh. I am sick reading that I overpaid by at least $3,000. I really trusted those guys, and what they told me. And to make matters worse, two things happened today:

1. The dealer put a sale price on the Concours of $3,500 less than I paid. This may not include freight and setup, so that may be $1,000 , making it $2,500 less.

2. The bike gave me a FI error today.

I love the bike, but I have a pit in my stomach that buying it was a mistake.  :'(

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 09:14:22 PM »
Don't sweat it... In a month or so you'll be over it (until that, ride and drink... in that order). At least you have a better chance of decent riding weather than others of us (snow storms, and such).

As for the FI... Many of us have gotten that for a moment, and then it goes back to normal. It's an undocumented "feature" that some of our bikes have. Mine has done it a couple times. Of course, if the FI doesn't go off, then head back to the dealer. You can also search here for "FI error" and read other advice.

I like this link because it has other links... http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=9892.msg120312#msg120312
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 09:16:06 PM »
Everyone gets the FI error once in a while for a couple of seconds. That's the good news. And you'll love the bike. They are incredible.
Always do as much research as possible when making a large purchase. Everyone has paid too much for something or another. The new bike I am buying is a leftover 2011 for $12,500 total. The same dealer tried to sell me the same bike for $14,500. I had to do a lot of searching and negotiating to get to that price.
Just ride the bike like it was free and love it for what it is.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 05:17:01 AM »
Ugh. I am sick reading that I overpaid by at least $3,000. I really trusted those guys, and what they told me. And to make matters worse, two things happened today:

1. The dealer put a sale price on the Concours of $3,500 less than I paid. This may not include freight and setup, so that may be $1,000 , making it $2,500 less.

2. The bike gave me a FI error today.

I love the bike, but I have a pit in my stomach that buying it was a mistake.  :'(

Buying your C-14 was no mistake! Paying the dealer's price was. If I were you I'd go back to the dealer and have a little chat about the 'new' sale price they are showing now. What's the worst that can happen? 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2012, 06:52:06 AM »
Does your state have a 5 day buyers remorse law?  If not, then I would talk with the owner/manager of the store and ask for something.  Free maintenance, tires, etc to recoup some of your purchase price.  I would also let them know that you are going to start an internet campain letting all potential buyers to beware.

A dealer is entitled to try and make as much as they can on a purchase, but outright lying should adversely affect that business.  Many years ago I worked in furniture repair for a major furniture retailer with 17 stores around Florida.  I would see the receipts and purchase price of the items I was going to service.  It was amazing to see the variance in prices customers paid for the same items. 

I learned several lessons working for that company.  Always try and negotiate, and be willing to walk away.  You don't get paid what you are worth, you get paid what you negotiate.  When the owner states that they can't afford to give a raise and you walk out and see their new Mercedes in the parking lot, you know it is time for a new career path.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline jbinaz

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 08:56:39 AM »
I would talk to the owner / manager of the dealer also, cannot hurt. Ask them why I was not offered the new sale price. Maybe they would throw in some maintenance.  I asked dealers for OTD on 2013's, I was quote any where from $17K- $18K.  The one dealer said that it was past his order period on the 2013 so I would have to put down a $1,000 deposit. The order period sounded odd. 
I would Enjoy the C14 it is a great machines.  ;)
COG #3441, 2012 Concours 14,
1999 Concours
2005 KLX 300R
1982 Suzuki GS 750E

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2012, 10:03:46 AM »
Centurion is it a 2012 or 2013? This bike will bring you tons of joy and cost you even more when you start to"farkle" it. Talk to your dealer and see if they will work with you but otherwise simply enjoy it, wear the proper gear and ride safely. As mentioned before pictures?? :thumbs:
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2012, 10:26:11 AM »
Based on their "sale" I would say that you should go in and see what you can get.  The reviews on their Service Dept is less than good so I am not sure I would ask for that.  They did include an extended warranty which is about 700.00 unless you knew of the hookup which hardly anyone does.  Also I assume a lot of the prices you see listed by others do not include set up, freight, taxes, tags, and other "associated fees". 

In addition a lot of guys get the factory discount included in the price, you have 0% interest and I am not sure if you can get the discount and 0% interest.  If you did not get the 2,000 factory discount and put little down in the long run you will be better off taking the 0% interest.  Taxes in CA are high from what I recall.  SOOOOOO,  0% instead of 2K rebate, 700.00 Extended warranty, CA taxes, etc and you should not feel too bad. 

Do not let it ruin your excitement, it is just money in the end.  TWOWHEELADDICT posted some god advice, if you have that possibility then use it as leverage. 

Offline Centurion

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2012, 12:05:46 PM »
I met with the manager this morning and asked for some consideration given that the price dropped nearly $3500 overnight. He looked at me and said "a deal is a deal. I bet you would not be here right now asking to pay me more had I raised the price the next day!"

In addition, I learned on this site that I should have received two keys rather than one. My dealer says that the second key doesn't come with the bike, and is $325 extra.

I am so disappointed. I really believed that I had found a great dealer.

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2012, 12:08:12 PM »
And I'm disappointed for you.   >:( :o
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2012, 12:15:17 PM »
Centurion, PM Sent
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2012, 12:18:13 PM »
All I can say is wow. I'd fight to return it to him. And buy it somewhere else. He would have ticked me off.

Joel from Maine.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2012, 01:24:54 PM »
Call an attorney asap, most states have a "cooling off buy period" where you can take it back.  Also call Kawa Customer care asap ref keys.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2012, 01:37:04 PM »
Not cool, sorry to hear this...  >:(

Sux on the price bro, congrats on the bike though!  :chugbeer:

Offline Centurion

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2012, 03:46:53 PM »
Call an attorney asap, most states have a "cooling off buy period" where you can take it back.  Also call Kawa Customer care asap ref keys.

There is no cooling off period in California. I am on honestly sick over this whole thing.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2012, 04:22:53 PM »
I am guessing that based on incentives you purchased a 2012.  As I said before a lot of prices are with the cash rebate, which you did not take.  Instead you took the 0%.  If you financed $14,000 over 5 years you will save almost 3,000 in financing charges making the purchase easier to swallow.  I have learned what I know the same way you have, do not let it make you sick.  Can you break down what your costs were?  base bike cost, taxes, tags, fees?  In the end you were not hurt too bad at all if you financed a good portion.  You probably paid $2,500 too much but the 0% will erase that.....  JUST TRY AND ENJOY THE BIKE....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2012, 04:52:20 PM »
The bike gave me a FI error today.

LOL!  Welcome to being a 2nd gen Concours owner!  They *ALL* throw some FI errors, especially when new :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2012, 04:55:19 PM »
I met with the manager this morning and asked for some consideration given that the price dropped nearly $3500 overnight. He looked at me and said "a deal is a deal. I bet you would not be here right now asking to pay me more had I raised the price the next day!"

Sorry to hear that :(

In addition, I learned on this site that I should have received two keys rather than one. My dealer says that the second key doesn't come with the bike, and is $325 extra.

OMG, that is an out and out lie.  If they do not give you both keys, they could get in BIG trouble with Kawasaki corporate when you tell them....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2012, 06:39:45 PM »
There is no cooling off period in California. I am on honestly sick over this whole thing.

I don't think you really did all that bad. Your opening post states $17,750 OTD with an extended warranty, sales tax, no dealer prep or freight and 0% financing. I know he had a sale after you bought the bike but that is the danger that we all face when we buy big ticket items.

I assume 2012 Concours @ $15,899 MSRP
? sales tax 9%                 @     1,430 ( I guessed about California..could not get a straight answer on taxes from their  web site)
warranty                           @       760
dealer & trans                   @       750 ( another guess)
( Kaw was giving either $1000 off or 0%financing)

Total                                     $18,839

Since it sounds like you are in an area where there is not a lot of Concours, discounts maybe scarce. I disagree with the dealer lying to you but I don't think you did as bad as you feel. You may have not received the best deal but I don't think that you received the worst deal. I once bought a new Springer and a new Sporster, paid full price for both and my only perk was a cheap pair of gloves ( plus they were just not very good bikes). Education that is worth anything always cost something. Just chalk some of this up to the cost of an education. I would bet almost everyone of us has fallen in "love" with some motorized something, had to have it and overpaid by some amount. You did not do that bad.

Just ride and enjoy..and you are saving on the financing costs which does amount to additional savings.

2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200