Author Topic: Anti-Depressant Drugs -- the REAL Problem  (Read 4620 times)

Offline Cuda

Anti-Depressant Drugs -- the REAL Problem
« on: December 24, 2012, 09:32:58 AM »
The common thread ( link ) in  most mass murder is wide-spread prescribing of antiedepressants.
A study done by Cardiff University in Wales concluded
"school shootings are almost always carried out by children who are taking anti-depressants. We know that (these drugs ) cause children to disconnect from reality. When you combine this with a propensity for violence, you creat a dangerous recipe for violence"
A friend owns a mental health clinic, He told me the field relies much to much on anti-depressants, he has a PHD and has  a MD that works in his clinic and he agreed you have no choice sometimes , But some doctors write perscriptions way too often.
If there is someone in a house on such drugs, there should be a law about locking up the fire arms in a safe or removing them.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Anti-Depressant Drugs -- the REAL Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 09:44:05 AM »
The common thread ( link ) in  most mass murder is wide-spread prescribing of antiedepressants.
A study done by Cardiff University in Wales concluded
"school shootings are almost always carried out by children who are taking anti-depressants. We know that (these drugs ) cause children to disconnect from reality. When you combine this with a propensity for violence, you creat a dangerous recipe for violence"
A friend owns a mental health clinic, He told me the field relies much to much on anti-depressants, he has a PHD and has  a MD that works in his clinic and he agreed you have no choice sometimes , But some doctors write prescriptions way too often.
If there is someone in a house on such drugs, there should be a law about locking up the fire arms in a safe or removing them.

While I can understand where you are coming from with this statement. How do you propose that we do this? How is the LAW to know who has guns in their home and is now taking meds?

While I've yet see it I've read many times over about Doctors invading our privacy by asking about guns in the home and I will not answer these questions if and when I see them....

I've already got the US Government too far up my ass in real life as I have to document all prescription drugs I take every 5 years for review of my Engineering lic and have read way too many horror stories of people getting screwed cause they are taking meds for simple medical reasons.... 
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 09:59:58 AM »
Folks, we all know that theres no way to completely avoid things like this, the Gov't knows theres no way to avoid this. So why do we all sit and talk about how to avoid it and waht causes it? Theres only one way to completely avoid it. We know it, they know it. Who's going to say it? We know how it can be done, its been done before. Don't ever think it can't happen here, its happening right now. The way is to ban all firearms, completely. They know they can't do it, we know they can't do it. But we all sit around in panels and discussions and town halls and TV shows and interviews talking about the causes, effects, how to stop it, how to avoid it. When is someone going to publicly say "our eventual agenda and purpose to all this is to ban, start to ban, or place in effect the measures need to eventually ban every single firearm privately held in civilian hands either by legislation or eventually by force if needed, we really don't care about safety, we really don't care about children, we were waiting for a tragedy to happen and now we have our cause to actually do what we've been trying to do for years?"
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 10:13:54 AM »
As far as I know, most states have laws in place to lock em up if you have ANY children in your home.  You are also taught this as a CHL holder too!  You as a parent should have this HIGH on your radar, period!

So he's a friend that's a MD and has a PhD... is he a Child/Adolescent Psychiatrist?  I would not see a MD/PhD for any kind of behavioral issues for my child. 

Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 10:16:53 AM »
The common link is not holding the responsible party accountable.  An excuse is still an excuse.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 11:04:02 AM »
The common link is not holding the responsible party accountable.  An excuse is still an excuse.

Yes, but Chet the reality is that there are some folks are simply no accountable because of profound mental illness. I guess that that point the caregivers become accountable. IMO, the Mother of the unnamed coward in Conn has a HUGE level of accountability here. She knew here son had some profound issues, and what did she do? Stock up on some serious hardware. Hell, I don't have anything like an AR. I'm not saying others shouldn't if they see fit, but in this case I think she should have done some more soul searching. Yes, she has rights as the rest of us do, but hey - I never had pistols in the house when ANY of my boys were at home. I know what kind of kid I was (into everything) I didn't want to have to worry about what they'd do in my absence. Steve

Offline Gsun

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 11:26:16 AM »
The drugs are NOT the problem. The problem is why they are taking the drugs - the depression, mental illness, etc. It's like saying the cold medicine someone is taking is the reason that they spread the cold. Treat the illness and you solve the problem. Drugs alone will not work.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 11:28:23 AM »
I have a 14 y/o daughter now... my others have grown and moved out.  I have always had firearms in my house... revolvers to SKS' to 700 BDL's to shotguns to SA's.  They've always been locked up and out of sight to my kids.  They knew I had them, but they didn't know where they were kept.  I never worried/worry about them getting into them, because they couldn't/can't.

I would be more worried about the Henckel knives in the kitchen... the axes in the garage... or a claw hammer.  :o

Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 11:31:19 AM »
In this case I would say society is being held accountable.  There is no such thing as a free ride.  The lower a societies morality becomes the greater the price paid by society.  I cannot for the life of me hold the mother at fault as society has accepted the sons actions as normal prior to the heinous actions.  We can continue to point the finger at an inanimate object, but things will never be fixed until we address the real issue.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 12:31:20 PM »
We will never agree as a society as to what the real issue is, not anytime soon. Just because my neighbor wants to do something that has always been known to all to be wrong but now nobody does anything about it because more people do it doesn't mean that its an acceptable behavior throughout all society. Wrong is wrong. I'm not responsible for poor parenting skills.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 02:02:07 PM »
>>>>SNIP<<<<Yes, she has rights as the rest of us do, but hey - I never had pistols in the house when ANY of my boys were at home. I know what kind of kid I was (into everything) I didn't want to have to worry about what they'd do in my absence. Steve

Steve,
 just had to post this when I read your reply; 
 I ( as many of us here ) grew up in a household with loaded guns in the closet ( gun case or where ever ).  I was taught by my father at an early age( as I have done w/ my 2 boys also ) about the proper use of firearms.  Woe was me if I was ever caught using or even handling those firearms without his permission!  I wouldn't be able to sit down for a week, without feeling the "burn"! And..... it sure didn't warp my mind, or cause me to even THINK about shooting up a classroom!
 The 1st time I was introduced to my (now) in-laws, I noticed the F-i-L had a long arm locked-n-loaded inside the home near the entrance door. All of my wife's siblings also were taught to handle firearms correctly.
 I think the dumbing-down of the American public, along with this p/c crap & the brainwashing by child psyhcologists that prescribe ritalin along w/ other numbing effect drugs, instead of some seat-warming stern discipline that might solve a LOT of classroom disruptions by kids.
 The "mental impairment" excuse gets played way too much, IMO. Yes, there ARE legitimate mental health issues, but it seems as though with a lot of these cases, it's the easy way out....
 ok, off the soap box now.... ::)
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 02:04:36 PM »
SO PRETEND... that we miraculously live in the Utopian society, where there are NO guns whatsover.... :'(
 but you can buy a gallon of gasoline.... ???
we all know the explosive power it contains...... :-[

sooooo what now? ::)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 02:20:17 PM »
Ban gasoline!
Ban all flammable solvents!
Ban propane!
Ban methane!
Ban the cow!
Ban the knife and all sharp stuff!
Ban the club, bat, cane,stick!
Ban the rock, stone,pebble!

Wait a minute, I got it BAN HUMAN BEINGS!! That will solve everything! Oh no I have become an environmentalist  :o
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 02:34:14 PM »
I found this kinda interesting, seeing as the laws ARE in effect there: ;)

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-x/2011001/article/11561-eng.htm

and the concensus about mental illness was quite similar to what we are talking about right now...
 :o

I believe the decline there can be attributed to a more dilligent attitude on the part of LEO" and courts, making the punishments fit the crimes, and ENFOrcing the damn laws they have....toss the crim's in the hole, and don't let them out...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 03:57:17 PM »
Steve,
 just had to post this when I read your reply; 
 I ( as many of us here ) grew up in a household with loaded guns in the closet ( gun case or where ever ).  I was taught by my father at an early age( as I have done w/ my 2 boys also ) about the proper use of firearms.  Woe was me if I was ever caught using or even handling those firearms without his permission!  I wouldn't be able to sit down for a week, without feeling the "burn"! And..... it sure didn't warp my mind, or cause me to even THINK about shooting up a classroom!
 The 1st time I was introduced to my (now) in-laws, I noticed the F-i-L had a long arm locked-n-loaded inside the home near the entrance door. All of my wife's siblings also were taught to handle firearms correctly.
 I think the dumbing-down of the American public, along with this p/c crap & the brainwashing by child psyhcologists that prescribe ritalin along w/ other numbing effect drugs, instead of some seat-warming stern discipline that might solve a LOT of classroom disruptions by kids.
 The "mental impairment" excuse gets played way too much, IMO. Yes, there ARE legitimate mental health issues, but it seems as though with a lot of these cases, it's the easy way out....
 ok, off the soap box now.... ::)

Well Dean, actually they're my stepkids. The oldest was 14 when I married their Mom. I had a hard enough time integrating some discipline to previously undisciplined kids; trust me, guns would have been a bad mix with these guys. Steve

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 06:29:43 PM »
Ban gasoline!
Ban all flammable solvents!
Ban propane!
Ban methane!
Ban the cow!
Ban the knife and all sharp stuff!
Ban the club, bat, cane,stick!
Ban the rock, stone,pebble!

Wait a minute, I got it BAN HUMAN BEINGS!! That will solve everything! Oh no I have become an environmentalist  :o

I wouldn't doubt there are a few folks working on that.  Well, maybe just banning republicans

Offline Bart

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 12:59:13 AM »
The Canadian stats are interesting but the question I have is why is the homicide rate so much higher in America. Is it because of the tough gun laws or are Canadians just less violent than Americans? Maybe it's just a lot easier to pick up a gun then to pick up a knife. Guns are a lot more deadly and easier to use than other weapons that the general public has readily available.

Road rage in Canada results in a fist fight, in America it can be a shootout.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 02:14:34 AM »
So focus on road rage.  Another one of social issues.  Everyone focused on their time having more value than others.  Speeding, following to close, swerving in and out of lanes, cutting people off, merging at the last possible moment.  Fix these problems and you fix road road rage.  Notice I didn't even mention cell phones or texting?  It is a selfish society, not the inanimate object being blamed.  Society will destroy with whatever is easiest to use because we are in the do it now way of life.  How many would be killed if a full sized pickup tore into a school at full speed during a rally?  Or at a football game?  Fix the moral decline and you have the beginning of a solution.  It is not the gun.  It is not the laws, it is the people.  It is the ease of excuse and the acceptance of said excuse.

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 04:25:49 AM »
IMO, since having a lot more exposure to canadians via my motorcycle work, I will say canandians do seem to be a kinder and gentler people. Steve

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 09:12:15 AM »
So focus on road rage.  Another one of social issues.  Everyone focused on their time having more value than others.  Speeding, following to close, swerving in and out of lanes, cutting people off, merging at the last possible moment.  Fix these problems and you fix road road rage.  Notice I didn't even mention cell phones or texting?  It is a selfish society, not the inanimate object being blamed.  Society will destroy with whatever is easiest to use because we are in the do it now way of life.  How many would be killed if a full sized pickup tore into a school at full speed during a rally?  Or at a football game?  Fix the moral decline and you have the beginning of a solution.  It is not the gun.  It is not the laws, it is the people.  It is the ease of excuse and the acceptance of said excuse.

It is the decline of civilization in the USA, it is irreversible now IMHO.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey