Author Topic: A question for Russell seat owners only  (Read 3981 times)

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
A question for Russell seat owners only
« on: December 19, 2012, 09:38:27 AM »
The forward end of the grab-rail is held to the bike with an Allen-head, 8 mm bolt that is barely visible down between the stock seat and the grab-rail on both sides. With the Russell seat in place is that bolt visible, could you reach it with a long Allen wrench with the seat in place?  Since the seat is wider I need to know if that bolt is obscured by the Russell seat. Thanks
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: A question for Russell seat owners only
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 03:26:43 PM »
I don't see any bolts on mine where you say to look.  Don't know if taking the side case off makes any difference.  Gotta find my keys to do that and supper is calling...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 03:54:01 PM »
At the front of the grabrails, where the color changes from silver to the black piece the bags attach to, look straight down between the seat and grabrail. The upper bag support (where the latch grabs) even has a rounded recess molded into it for the bolt to come straight up. It is stainless steel with an Allen socket on top and has an unusually large washer under it. There are actually 2 bolts that secure the front end of the grabrail, it's the forward of the two I'm interested in, the rear isn't visible unless the seat is removed. I appreciate your help.

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 04:18:13 PM »
I'm not quite understanding what you're asking, Philip.  If you don't get your answer by the time I get back from Christmas, I'd be happy to ride over with my Russell on so you can look.  I'll be back Wednesday the 26th.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 04:28:23 PM »
Still can't see em....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 05:24:54 PM »
This is the bolt in question:
With the Russell seat in place can you see the bolt looking down between the seat and grabrails as in photo below??

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 05:28:57 PM »
Phil

Not sure if this will help you but with a Corbin in place there is about a 1/4" space between the outside border of the passenger section and the inside edge of the rail. The bolt can be seen if your looking for it and looking straight down otherwise you would not know it was there.
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 07:43:55 PM »
tjpgi: Thanks, that does help, I'm thinking Russell is maybe the widest seat, but it's good to know the Corbin has a little clearence. 

Offline yellowrench

• COG #10485 2011 C14
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 08:48:57 PM »
Phil, what are you fixing to make for us?
COG #10485                                                            2011 C14

Offline PH14

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 09:30:40 PM »
tjpgi: Thanks, that does help, I'm thinking Russell is maybe the widest seat, but it's good to know the Corbin has a little clearence.

Phil, with a Russel, you can't even see the saddlebags.  :yikes:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 04:03:34 AM »
Even with pictures, more explanations.....still can't see em...

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 05:24:45 AM »
Even with pictures, more explanations.....still can't see em...

You need more coffee!!!!!  ;D
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 05:35:10 AM »
or better glasses...  Seriously folks, my Russell is blocking access to those bolts.  Now keep in mind that the passenger area has been setup for my wife so it has the 'wings'.  These wings block access to those bolts.  On my C10, I did not have the passenger area set up so it did not have the 'wings'.  In that case, it could be possible to have access to the bolts.  So you may want to get someone here who has not set it up for a passenger as well to look at the access.

Update:  I took the seat off and found the bolts.  You cannot get to them with the seat on.  The wings obscure the bolts.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 11:48:48 AM by VirginiaJim »

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 11:50:17 AM »
Thanks for the replies, actually you answered my question VirginiaJim, there are some seat configurations that cover that screw and that's what I needed to know. Others will not.

Yellowrench: Someone asked about a way to mount an Aux. fuel tank over the passenger's seat, I'm trying to come up with something.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 05:00:53 PM by philipintexas »