Author Topic: Truck Ramp  (Read 9693 times)

Offline ARS

Truck Ramp
« on: December 06, 2012, 07:52:03 PM »
I have a perfectly good aluminum low rider trailer/ramp combo, but I'd like to get the bike in the back of the truck.  I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive ramp system that won't put me on a ramen noodle diet for the next three years. . . and yeah I know. . ."why not ride it instead of haul it". . .my bride is great on the back, but if it rains or gets too cold, Mama ain't happy and 'course if she ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

Offline ARS

Re: Truck Ramp
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 08:16:34 PM »
Here's a ramen noodle ramp, looks like a great ramp, and it'd work for the quad, but 10 C-notes is too much for my blood. . .

http://www.scorpionramp.com/BuyNow.php

youtube vid:

Portable loading ramp demo

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 08:16:58 PM »
Trailer a C14?  I never have mine.  But I've taken a trillion or so bikes to the race tracks and the mountains using this:

http://www.discountramps.com/black-widow-motorcycle-ramp.htm

Ride the bike right up it

Get a little help unloading if its raining

and TRACK that thing!

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ARS

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 08:31:41 PM »
That looks about perfect!  I posted this on a local Minnesota forum and got . . .

http://www.discountramps.com/wide-atv-ramp.htm

I like the width, but the it looks a bit steep, I'd hate to bottom out on the tailgat.

Tanks (Army Tanks)

Bill

Offline ARS

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
Is that blue painters tape on the headlights??

Offline ARS

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 08:42:39 PM »
That looks about perfect!  I posted this on a local Minnesota forum and got . . .

http://www.discountramps.com/wide-atv-ramp.htm

I like the width, but the it looks a bit steep, I'd hate to bottom out on the tailgat.

Tanks (Army Tanks)

Bill

Offline ARS

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 08:44:19 PM »
Too many. . . :chugbeer:

Geezus!!

Offline Cuda

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 09:51:18 PM »
Steve the C14 is not a 400lb race bike , that extra 200+ lb up high is a accident waiting to happen  , I've loaded my share of bikes in a trucks and  vans,
 but not the C 14.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline ARS

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 10:06:27 PM »
 ;D With that last post I got promoted from "nubie" to "junior" Cheers!! :chugbeer:

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 11:52:55 PM »
There are 2 things not covered in that video.  First is the height and weight of the C14.  Loading a low rider cruiser that you can flat foot with bent knees is much easier than a taller, top heavy bike.  Second is they didn't show how the ramp fits in the back of the truck with the bike in it.

Be sure to consider both before going the ramp route.  I've loaded sleds into the back of trucks with ramps for years, and the hualing of the ramp after loading requires care if it's big.  Don't want to scratch up your bike.  Also, loading the C14 would require unwaivering commitment when you hit the bottom of the ramp.  Unloading would make me very uncomfortable too (at least without someone to catch me).
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 03:19:15 AM »
Trailer.  ::) nuff said
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 04:48:46 AM »
Trailer a C14?  I never have mine.  But I've taken a trillion or so bikes to the race tracks and the mountains using this:

http://www.discountramps.com/black-widow-motorcycle-ramp.htm

Ride the bike right up it

I don't know about the weight capacity of the tailgate on your truck Steve but I would NEVER trust the tailgate on my Silverado with Connie's weight. Hell, I wouldn't even trust my tailgate with half as much as Connie's weighs.   :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 07:54:36 AM »
My buddy has those ramps and loads his K1300GT, and now his 1600GT onto his F150 all the time.  I borrowed them and loaded my C10 (in the rain/snow-scared the  :yikes: out of me BTW) onto a guys pickup when I sold it. 
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 08:05:15 AM »
I don't know about the weight capacity of the tailgate on your truck Steve but I would NEVER trust the tailgate on my Silverado with Connie's weight. Hell, I wouldn't even trust my tailgate with half as much as Connie's weighs.   :o

Totally understandable with a GM product.  That's why I have a Dodge truck.  I wouldn't even think of not loading something heavy on it.   ;D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 08:13:04 AM »
Steve the C14 is not a 400lb race bike , that extra 200+ lb up high is a accident waiting to happen  , I've loaded my share of bikes in a trucks and  vans,
 but not the C 14.

The ramps are rated over 600 pounds
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 08:13:08 AM »
Totally understandable with a GM product.  That's why I have a Dodge truck.  I wouldn't even think of not loading something heavy on it.   ;D

Plus my truck is black, so it has that going against it.    ;)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 08:25:14 AM »
I've rolled 1200lb bales of hay off a tailgate before. As long as the cables are in good shape it shouldn't be a problem.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 10:24:21 AM »
Plus my truck is black, so it has that going against it.    ;)

There is that, of course.  Double whammy.  ;D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 10:38:13 AM »
I haul a Polaris Ranger 500 in the back of my short bed Titan with the rear wheels on the tailgate no problem. And that's heavier than a C14 by far. But I'm with a lot of people here and would have a lot of trepidation riding my C14 up my ramps. I have a 5' by 14' trailer with ramp gate on the back that cost $1000 brand new. I have hauled a VTX and a Valkyrie on that several times and would have no problem putting the C14 in that. Costs about the same as the ramps in the video. The only problem is you have to have some place to store the trailer.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 10:54:41 AM »
I'm gonna have to dig out my truck's owner's manual when I get home and see what the tailgate weight rating is now. I remember that it had that info but I just don't remember the number. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 11:55:26 AM by Conrad »