Author Topic: Ki Pass  (Read 5039 times)

Offline orangewingnut

Ki Pass
« on: December 02, 2012, 06:29:05 PM »
ok, i did a search so be gentle on me....

kipass failed to start the bike today, had to use the spare fob and the kipass worked. I  never got a low battery fob warning on the display. tried the main fob again, no go. held the main fob to the back of the ignition switch and the bike starts. then i try putting the fob in my pocket and the kipass wont turn.

what gives? Bike is a 2011.

Bill

Offline Z71

Re: Ki Pass
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 06:56:27 PM »
I had to replace the fob battery on my '09 bike after less than 2 years.   They are not expensive, about $ 6.50 for two batteries from K-Mart or Walmart.   The worst part was trying to open the fob without damaging it.  Be patient and do not force it.  Try finding a screwdriver with a blade tip that perfectly fits the slot provided, or modify an old screwdriver by grinding the tip to fit the slot.  If you use an improperly fitting tip, it will gouge the plastic as you try to twist the screwdriver to pry the case open.  These fobs are very hard to open without damaging them.  All least mine were.

Actually, you could have the dealer replace the batteries under warranty, but for $ 6.50 it is not worth the trip, and I bet they do not stock these batteries.

Offline orangewingnut

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 07:32:30 PM »
Z71,

thanks for the info! i would have thought i would have gotten the 'low transponder battery warning' at some point before the battery died.
But what you say makes sense....if the kipass system was at fault, then the fob or the back up fob wouldn't allow the bike to start when positioned behind the ignition.

Bill

Offline orangewingnut

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 07:57:31 PM »
...or maybe the ignition switch was just stuck and then un-stuck, ill change the battery as suggested and follow up with a service appointment..

Thanks,
Bill

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 07:15:52 AM »
I change my KiPass FOB bat every 6 months or so.  Thats why I've had zero issues in 65,000 miles with ANYTHING on my C14  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline orangewingnut

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 01:32:07 PM »
steve,

i pulled the battery out of the fob and it tested as good....  and the fob is now working (with the same battery )  so now i'm thinking i have experienced the dreaded stuck switch.

Bill

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 01:45:10 PM »
steve,

i pulled the battery out of the fob and it tested as good....  and the fob is now working (with the same battery )  so now i'm thinking i have experienced the dreaded stuck switch.

Bill

If you were able to start the bike by holding the fob near the ignition or by using the other fob, then it's NOT a Kipass issue.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline chap

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 01:56:23 PM »
steve,

Bill

You may find the battery rejuvinated a bit while unloaded. it may work  for a short time and fail again. Best insurance is to replace the battery.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 02:36:07 PM »
Bear in mind that the fob- to- KiPass ECU is a radio link and they can be sensitive to distance, metal objects between them, direction and a host of other things. The system will get even more sensitive as the battery in the fob drops in voltage (they do not fail all at once but 'wind down' over time). So the battery in your fob may now be marginal; I would suggest just replacing it with a new battery and seeing if the problem goes away.

If you can get the key to turn no matter what fob you use or  how you use the fob, including holding it against the ignition (the RFID portion of KiPass) they you do not have the stuck activation switch problem. If the activation switch does actually stick you cannot resolve the issue by using any normal method for starting the bike.

As far as dreading the stuck activation switch, no need for that when there is a simple work- around that will absolutely eliminate that problem from ever stranding you. More information available here: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=6976.msg82841#msg82841

Brian

steve,

Bill
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 03:04:31 PM »
I change my KiPass FOB bat every 6 months or so.  Thats why I've had zero issues in 65,000 miles with ANYTHING on my C14  :D

Yeah, but what BRAND of fob battery?  I think that topic might be worth hunting down Steve.  Dont rightly recall seeing a thread on THAT yet!

Offline novacon

• nova scotia t
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 05:00:38 PM »
Interesting topic and timing. Had to change mine after getting " low transponder " warning a couple weeks ago. Cheap fix , and will make it one of those routine start of season things to change.
I also got a " low battery " warning yesterday for the first time. The temps here were on the lousy side of zero last week so the bike had not been started in a while , but that had never happened other times in similar situations. I guess the life span of my Connies batteries is 2 years.
2010 connie

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 05:02:30 PM »
Yeah, but what BRAND of fob battery?  I think that topic might be worth hunting down Steve.  Dont rightly recall seeing a thread on THAT yet!

Oh I agree, thats a great topic.  How about start a thread  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 03:18:05 PM »
Oh I agree, thats a great topic.  How about start a thread  :D
Duragizer? Enercell? Generic store brand? Which is best? Enquiring minds need to know... :stirpot:
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 03:53:33 PM »
I get a name brand and look at the date on the package.  Get the 'newest' one you can find, but these are very common batteries.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 07:29:59 PM »
I get a name brand and look at the date on the package.  Get the 'newest' one you can find, but these are very common batteries.

Jim, Jim, Jim...  That is HARDLY in keeping with the tradition of starting a round of quibbling over the minutiae that truly separates the working man from the rocket scientist!

Offline jonathan

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 07:43:41 AM »
I also got a " low battery " warning yesterday for the first time.

I didn't know that there was a warning for the main battery and I can't find any reference to this in the owner's manual. Is this somethoing new on the Gen 2 bikes?

Offline novacon

• nova scotia t
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 10:42:12 AM »
Not only does it flash " Low Battery " , but a picture of battery also flashes afterwards. Currently -1'c in my shed. :'(
2010 connie

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 11:33:59 AM »
Well, this old bike lacks KiPass and I expect MAJOR problems with it

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 12:06:52 PM »
Well, this old bike lacks KiPass and I expect MAJOR problems with it

Maybe you could get a fob from a wrecked C14 and tape it to it. Or just carry your fob with you when you ride the Ninja. Not the same I know but it should give you some protection.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 12:40:28 PM »
Maybe you could get a fob from a wrecked C14 and tape it to it. Or just carry your fob with you when you ride the Ninja. Not the same I know but it should give you some protection.

BAM!  Thats the type suggestions and methodologies I log into this forum to learn. Thank you very much sir!