Author Topic: Pre-filling oil filter  (Read 12855 times)

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
Re: Pre-filling oil filter
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2013, 06:03:47 PM »
I had long oil pressure times on both the Concours14 and Ninja 1000 after an oil change.  I prefilled the filters and now the light goes out in 2-3 seconds now just like it does when you start the MC normally  I just changed the oil in both yesterday.  I was skeptical that this would work and thought I would lose all the oil out of the filter while installing it.  I lost very little oil while installing the filter.  Problem solved.

We can postulate why this will or won't work all day long but just give it a try and see what happens.  Hopefully, you will get results similar to mine

Good Luck

Since I have never pre-filled an oil filter, exactly how do you do it? Do you fill both sides of the filter medium or just one? and....how?

mat
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline pistole

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2013, 08:54:46 PM »
- i also prefill my fuel tank before i start the bike.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2013, 11:15:03 PM »
Many years ago I took a corner too fast and pre-filled my breeches..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2013, 04:43:09 AM »
Many years ago I took a corner too fast and pre-filled my breeches..

:rotflmao:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2013, 06:44:24 AM »
Since I have never pre-filled an oil filter, exactly how do you do it? Do you fill both sides of the filter medium or just one? and....how?

mat

Pour the oil in the center hole.  If you fill it to the top initially, the oil will disappear as it's absorbed into the media leaving very little in the center.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline JJFLASH

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2013, 10:37:01 AM »

mat

Hi Matt,

What I did was pour some oil into the center hole in the filter.  The one with the screw on threads.   The oil level will drop as the filter elements become saturated with oil. I can't say if enough oil goes through the filter element to fill the "outside of the filter.  Just before I am going to install the filter I fill the center of the filter about 2/3 full and spin it on.  Access on the C14 is easy so you can hold the filter upright until you flip it horizontal to install.  I did not have any significant oil loss from the filter.  When I change the oil and pre-filled the filter the oil light went out within seconds.

How it works, I don't know
Why it works, I don't know.

I do know that in this case it "fixed" my problem with excessive long times to get oil pressure.

If you have experienced this problem, give this a try.

Offline JJFLASH

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2013, 10:41:19 AM »
I've had it happen on my Z1000 every time I've changed the oil so far since I bought it.  I've had to burp it every time.  Now, I just expect to have to do it as part of the process.  Pretty common to see on the Z1000 forums.

I have the Ninja 1000.  Same problem, same engine.  Pre-filling the filter worked for me.  Try it on the Z1000 next time you change oil.  I think it might be easier than burping the filter.