Author Topic: Immobilizer Error  (Read 16996 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Immobilizer Error
« on: November 16, 2012, 07:17:14 AM »
Yesterday when I first started my 08 I got the IMMOBILIZER ERROR message on the display. I turned the engine off to see if it would go away when I restarted but now the knob acted like there was no FOB. I switched to the other FOB and it started up with no problem. Stopped and restarted 6 or 7 times over the course of the day's 60 mile ride with no problems.

When I got home I pulled the battery and check connections, everything clean and apparently tight.  I checked the suspect FOB battery with my multi-meter and the result was 2.7 volts. I would think this battery should still work at 2.7 but am I wrong?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Immobilizer Error
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 07:26:02 AM »
What's voltage of a new one? Did you check the battery of the working fob?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 08:34:35 AM »
These batteries should be 3 volts. You measured 2.7 with no load on the battery, it's dead as far as the fob is concerned.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 08:47:40 AM »
These batteries should be 3 volts. You measured 2.7 with no load on the battery, it's dead as far as the fob is concerned.
If 2.7 is too low it should have given the LOW BATT message, no?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 08:53:26 AM »

Yep, it should have.

I have some of these batteries right here on my desk and I just measured em. 3.12v

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 09:00:49 AM »
Yep, it should have.

I have some of these batteries right here on my desk and I just measured em. 3.12v
Thanks, I'm heading out to buy some fresh ones.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 07:39:17 PM »
Sometimes. Maybe.

The problem with that warning is that it depends on the transponder (the fob) detecting and transmitting a 'low battery voltage' condition to the main ECU where it would be displayed to you. The device is coded to respond to a certain voltage drop over a certain number of cycles to determine when the battery is out of acceptable range but like most simple or too simple tests, it really isn't very accurate. So you may get a low fob battery warning before the fob battery voltage is so low that the fob actually fails to transmit.... or not. In my opinion, it is a lousy test followed by an unreasonable 'feature' (the displayed low battery warning) that fools a lot of people into thinking something is wrong when really it is the test itself that is flawed.

Your fob battery voltage is too low by actual measurement and the fob has failed to transmit; normally you would just replace the battery and think nothing of it but because you were expecting that warning it fools you into looking for some problem when there really is not a problem. Not blaming you here Bob, I think it is just that the mfg. tries to give us additional and sometimes sophisticated functions that don't really work out. Look at the number of 'low battery' problems that C-14's have had on the tire pressure sensors- it would seem that we would be better off if that function just was not included on the vehicle and when the battery(s) in the sensor failed it just didn't display anymore.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 08:47:38 PM »
heh guys:

just something i was thinking about- to prevent being stranded in the boonies somewhere, is it worth carrying a spare fob battery around in the glovebox. Another idea was just changing it out every other yr, or perhaps every tire change?

mat
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 08:59:20 PM »
heh guys:

just something i was thinking about- to prevent being stranded in the boonies somewhere, is it worth carrying a spare fob battery around in the glovebox. Another idea was just changing it out every other yr, or perhaps every tire change?

It is not possible to be stranded by the active fob batteries dying.  The active fob is also a passive fob and does not require batteries to use it to start the bike when used in contact with the ignition area.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 09:07:57 PM »
heh maxtog- are you saying you dont need the fob to start the bike? can you explain this to me?

mat
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 09:14:15 PM »
heh maxtog- are you saying you dont need the fob to start the bike? can you explain this to me?

mat

It is in your owners manual too.  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 11:30:40 PM »
I think you nailed it Brian. BTW, my original tire pressure sensors have now been in service for over 5 years and are now working fine even in cold weather. They  have gotten better with age.
Sometimes. Maybe.

The problem with that warning is that it depends on the transponder (the fob) detecting and transmitting a 'low battery voltage' condition to the main ECU where it would be displayed to you. The device is coded to respond to a certain voltage drop over a certain number of cycles to determine when the battery is out of acceptable range but like most simple or too simple tests, it really isn't very accurate. So you may get a low fob battery warning before the fob battery voltage is so low that the fob actually fails to transmit.... or not. In my opinion, it is a lousy test followed by an unreasonable 'feature' (the displayed low battery warning) that fools a lot of people into thinking something is wrong when really it is the test itself that is flawed.

Your fob battery voltage is too low by actual measurement and the fob has failed to transmit; normally you would just replace the battery and think nothing of it but because you were expecting that warning it fools you into looking for some problem when there really is not a problem. Not blaming you here Bob, I think it is just that the mfg. tries to give us additional and sometimes sophisticated functions that don't really work out. Look at the number of 'low battery' problems that C-14's have had on the tire pressure sensors- it would seem that we would be better off if that function just was not included on the vehicle and when the battery(s) in the sensor failed it just didn't display anymore.

Brian

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 05:39:37 AM »

mat

The bike can NOT be started without a fob, period.

The bike has two ways to 'see' the fob. One way works with the batteries, when you press the stove knob key down the bike sends a signal out which the fob answers and tells the bike that it's ok to turn the ignition on, this works within a radius of ~5'.

If the fob batteries are dead the fob can't answer, but don't fret, the engineers have this covered. If the fob batteries are dead you can pull the lil flat key out from the back of the fob and hold the fob against the top of the key area on the bike's ignition, there's a flat 'boss' area for this. Now with the fob being so close the bike can 'see' it and this allows the ignition to be turned on. 

Capish?

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 06:24:20 AM »
That would be "capiche" or "capisci".

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 06:46:41 AM »
That would be "capiche" or "capisci".

I stand corrected.

In my defense.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Capish

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 07:32:24 AM »
Paging Mr's MG and Ugo.....call waiting on the lobby phone.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 07:34:42 AM »
Paging Mr's MG and Ugo.....call waiting on the lobby phone.

We're overdue for a video me thinks.    ;)

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 07:35:51 AM »
I stand corrected.

In my defense.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Capish
Just my little pet peeve. If you're gonna use a foreign language phrase it bugs me to see it spelled phonetically. Admittedly, Capish is not as bad as Walla for the French "Voilà"

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 07:38:59 AM »
 :)   How's your bike holding up?  Any more parts fall off lately?  ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 07:39:37 AM »
Just my little pet peeve. If you're gonna use a foreign language phrase it bugs me to see it spelled phonetically. Admittedly, Capish is not as bad as Walla for the French "Voilà"

I always thought that was some kinda funky violin?   ;)

Ps, maybe you need a new pet, how's about a nice rescue dog?