Author Topic: Pinning the Bags on...redux.  (Read 17963 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Pinning the Bags on...redux.
« on: May 28, 2011, 03:51:35 PM »
bag pinning...re-dux

place the bags on the bike, observe the location I showed with relation to the "ribs" on the bag lower yoke, spot the position. pre-drill the first hole using a 1/8" dia bit, this allows you to spot the hole, drill the guide hole, and remove the bags for drilling thru the mount easily with the correct bit.
I'll say right now, if you have a huge drill, you may have a problem getting the hole that spot.... I used my air powered drill, it's very compact, and small, and allowed me to drill this with the bags in place without a problem...My electric drils would not be able to drill that hole beacause they are just to clunky and big...solution? maybe a reallly long drill bit? Or, use a dremel with a 1/8' bit to do the initial locatin and spotting holes (you'll never drill thru the tough aluminum of the bracket with a dremel, that stuff is TOUGH...) Use new, sharp bits for precision, ......
before you drill anything insure the 2 screws that hold the plastick "puck" onto the mount are securely tightened, this insures a good and consistant assembly.

Drill to final diameter using a 3/16" diameter bit, do not get "sloppy" and rotate the bit and drill around, drill straight thru, this insures a tight interface to keep the pin in it's happy spot. The pins have a ball detent to reduce the chance of backing out, but after hours of banging around they do move...just check them occasionally, and push them back in firmly if they move.

I got these pins from McMaster-Carr, a great source for "stuff" you may need to fix a bike, modify anything, or get any freaking tool you need....they ship fast, cheap, and sometimes for free...I have had parts from them delivered within 36 hours of ordering...they rock!

I ordered 4, just because I wanted spares.....

http://www.mcmaster.com/#98320a020/=ci7v7g

98320A020 4 Each Zinc-plated Steel Ring-grip Quick-release Pin, 3/16" Diameter, 2.0" Usable Length
they are now $1.47 each, if you buy 2, shipping is the same as if you buy 4....

I got these for IIRC $8 delivered, within 40 hours of calling.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Barry

• Arena
Re: Pinning the Bags on...redux.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 05:48:55 PM »
I had the pins shown in this thread.  One fell out.

I replaced with the type that clips in place and can't fall out.  Also a little more secure fit.

Very little argument against this mod.  I know my bags are mounted more solidly due to this mod.

Barry-
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 07:01:09 PM »
I did this mod a while back also.  I purchased the pins from Lowe's at less than $2 per.  I will confirm that using a standard electric drill without a super long bit won't work as the body of the drill gets in the way of the bags and you WILL drill the hole off center.  I insert the pins from the back side so that they are almost invisible.  All you see if you really look is the diameter of the pin.  The pull ring is on the inside surface of the bracket so you don't even see it. 
2010 C14 ABS

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 07:21:49 AM »
Rich, thanks for bringing this back.  :goodpost:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline shotgun

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 08:25:46 AM »
It's deffo piece of mind when your riding the rough Farm-to-Market(FM) by-ways we call secondary roads down here in N.Texas and a little deterrent to some goober trying to jack your bags.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 08:28:52 AM »
Is this an issue on the 2010/11? I thought this was one of the things that got fixed by mama Kawie?

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 08:54:45 AM »
They made the latches stronger, but not perfect.  We've seen video of people putting just a little torque on a bag with the new latches and POP they come right off.  Most of us would rather they didn't do that while on a ride.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 10:46:30 AM »
Easy solution!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 11:25:47 AM »
They made the latches stronger, but not perfect.  We've seen video of people putting just a little torque on a bag with the new latches and POP they come right off.  Most of us would rather they didn't do that while on a ride.

Here's the video...

http://yfrog.com/9ggtr1400z

:yikes:   :yikes:   :yikes:   :yikes:

I'm not concerned with them falling off while riding, but I am concerned about somebody stealing them if the bike is out of my sight parked somewhere, imagine if you have your bags totally loaded on a long trip with all your stuff in them...  :banghead:   

There's a couple solutions available out there, I opted to go with these clips, very inexpensive, simple install that takes 2 seconds, and no drilling reqired...

The maker and seller of these is a member here, I can't find the buy link on this forum but here is his ad on ebay to buy them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Concours-14-GTR-1400-Saddlebag-Retaining-Brackets-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f0a537bfeQQitemZ270756183038QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Here's a pic of mine.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
you really think that clip, or anything other than a logging chain and monster lock will keep a thief from the bags????

alllllllllllllllllrighty then......

the thief already knows he has to bust the bag to get into it, I can easily, with NO tools, rip the latch handle right off the bag.....this just insures someone will break your latches in the parking lot, trying to steal them....and when they find them empty, they'll toss em.

the pins are for piece of mind, that's all.

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 03:22:48 PM »
Sorry...  for bag retention WHILE RIDING....  the $2 pins do what the brackets do far better, and serve as a 3rd point where the weight of the bag and contents are supported.  A much more solid design.

Brackets, not so much.  Sorry.

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 03:31:44 PM »
don't get me wrong, I ain't "dis-ing" the creater of the bent brackets for his creativity or his ambition, he had an idea, manufactured and marketed it....No bad can come from that, I just like the simple version that suited my need. I do warn tho that they (either type) aren' "theft proof".... ;)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 03:32:19 PM »
you really think that clip, or anything other than a logging chain and monster lock will keep a thief from the bags? ???

alllllllllllllllllrighty then......

the thief already knows he has to bust the bag to get into it, I can easily, with NO tools, rip the latch handle right off the bag.....this just insures someone will break your latches in the parking lot, trying to steal them....and when they find them empty, they'll toss em.

the pins are for piece of mind, that's all.

::)

The brackets are for piece of mind for me too MOB...

Obviously if somebody really wants the bags they'll get them off there and take em somehow. But hopefully it would draw more of a crowd as they're reefing on them with a pry bar or something a little more forceful than the ease it shows in that video of lifting up the back of the hard bag in a restaurant parking lot...

I like the brackets, if you don't that's cool and is your opinion. I didn't want to drill mine...

Offline sunpa

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 06:49:28 AM »
I pinned my bags last year using the hasp style clips. They resulted in a really solid fit. I was then concerned that any flexing between the lower bracket and upper frame would cause stress on the bag - the latch mechanism in particular. I stood on the rear footpeg and could detect a little movement without the bags in place. The Kawa design of the bag lower mounting point provides horizontal stability but allows the bag to "float" vertically. I went back and oversized the holes a little to relieve potential stress on the bag and latch. I am not a mechanical engineer and may be worried about nothing, but I feel better about it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 06:57:20 AM »

Here's the video...

http://yfrog.com/9ggtr1400z

:yikes:   :yikes:   :yikes:   :yikes:

I'm not concerned with them falling off while riding, but I am concerned about somebody stealing them if the bike is out of my sight parked somewhere, imagine if you have your bags totally loaded on a long trip with all your stuff in them...  :banghead:   

There's a couple solutions available out there, I opted to go with these clips, very inexpensive, simple install that takes 2 seconds, and no drilling reqired...

The maker and seller of these is a member here, I can't find the buy link on this forum but here is his ad on ebay to buy them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Concours-14-GTR-1400-Saddlebag-Retaining-Brackets-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f0a537bfeQQitemZ270756183038QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Here's a pic of mine.

Here you go, along with video of a C14 rider losing one of his bags while riding.

http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=473.0
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 03:59:46 PM »

Is it possible to repost those original pictures from MOB's initial message?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 04:47:08 PM »
Send a PM to MOB...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 12:30:30 AM »
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 12:02:09 PM by MGvaleri »
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 10:49:01 AM »

Is it possible to repost those original pictures from MOB's initial message?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR