Author Topic: Battery Question  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Chris Baum

Battery Question
« on: November 04, 2012, 08:56:14 PM »
COG Nation,

I need to replace my battery on my 1986 Concours.  I am looking for any suggestion on what batteries are the best.

I found this brand on-line called - Big Crank ETX20L battery.  Has anybody had used this brand?

Thanks
Chris Baum - COG #3088 - 1986 Concours
"A Nebraskan Looking for Twisty Roads!!!!"
2006 Co-COG National Rally Director -
"OTP" Host (2007-09-11-14)     IBA #7474

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Battery Question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 07:34:37 AM »
COG Nation,

I need to replace my battery on my 1986 Concours.  I am looking for any suggestion on what batteries are the best.

I found this brand on-line called - Big Crank ETX20L battery.  Has anybody had used this brand?

Thanks
I also responded on the Micapeak mailing list,  but here's my response again.

I use a Big Crank in my C10.  Who doesn't want to be able to say they have a Big Crank?  They are a re-badged Deka AGM battery, and I've sometimes seen Deka batteries for lower prices, so look around.

I had one go bad just after the one-year warranty expired.  Emailed BatteryMart.com about it, and they were quite helpful.  They said if I sent it back (at my expense) they'd test it, if it failed their test, they'd put it aside and ask the rep when he came around about it, since it was just out of warranty.  Rep told them to replace it for me.  Cost me all of $11.35 for a USPS Medium Flat Rate box when I returned the battery.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline nevadazx12

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 08:11:22 AM »
I have been buying all my batteries for cars and motorcycles from Batteries Plus chain of stores.  Decent prices, they have various sizes with the same amperage ratings, best part they are always in stock so you get no waiting, quick resolution of any issues.

1986 Connie
1974 BMW 90/6
1964 Triumph T100SC

Offline jim-d

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 11:32:17 AM »
I've been using the DEKA battery for several years now & have not had any problems at all, fit perfectly.  So I guess that's a good recommendation.

At the time I recall it had more cranking amps than the Odyssey.

ALSO

MADE IN USA!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 05:56:35 PM »
... I found this brand on-line called - Big Crank ETX20L battery.  Has anybody had used this brand?

Everyone needs a "Big Crank", or so I've been told ;)

I bought an Interstate (brand) sealed AGM from my local Ace hardware store 4-5 years ago. I think it (I have two C-10's in the shed) just gave up the ghost. I do know I haven't bought a battery in four plus years, and both C-10's run the same battery.

It's not the cheapest, but is comparable in price to online battery dealers, and it supports my local store to boot.

FWIW, the defunct battery carries a "YTX20HL-BS" model number. And it's about 1/8" shorter in height to the OEM flooded lead-acid battery. A hunk of wide foam weatherstripping on the bottom of the tool tray solves that issue.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline JDM

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 06:33:30 AM »
I had one of these for over 8 years and will get another one when I need a battery.  http://www.batteryplex.com/powersonic.cfm/m/PS-12180-NB
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline enumclaw

• The universe has a plan
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 07:09:36 AM »
I've been running the Yuasa for 7 years now.....
Rob

DL650: KLR250: C10

Offline SkylineNZ

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
I bought a Big Crank from batterymart for my KLR - the thing works like a champ.  I installed it mid-2008 and haven't had to think about the battery in that bike since.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 06:19:22 PM »
Chris,
I had a Wal-mart battery in mine for 5 years and it was still going but I changed it because I thought it might be the source of an electrical issue.   I still had the issue after installing a Yuasa, and it turned out to be coil related.

I've got a 5+ year old battery in my Kaw ATV and I think it is just now giving up.

I was looking online a few weeks ago and Batterystuff.com seemed to have some reasonable prices on agm batteries.

Jim
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 02:56:20 AM »
I run an Odessey PC 545, tho you could go one up to the 600 series if you wanted to.  I put it in the bike a couple yrs ago when the bike had 2K on it. Have 40K now and as I plan on retiring the bike when it gets close to the 100K mark, I dont ever intend to buy another battery.

Have a very similar Spark 500 that's been in my Guzzi Sport 1100 since 2000.
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10