Author Topic: Clutch replacement  (Read 8114 times)

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
Clutch replacement
« on: October 31, 2012, 10:43:10 AM »
How difficult of a job is this and how much $$ would it cost in parts?  I think mine is starting to slip at about 6k to 7k rpms :(

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Re: Clutch replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 12:15:42 PM »
I think bigboomer had a job on his clutch that he performed himself. Try to contact him. I'm sure you could find him more easily in the UK forum, though, since there are less members. Good luck.

EDIT: his profile name is boomer.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 01:42:59 PM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 02:00:36 PM »
How difficult of a job is this and how much $$ would it cost in parts?  I think mine is starting to slip at about 6k to 7k rpms :(

Wow..........imagine that.  :stirpot:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 02:16:59 PM »
With great power comes great responsibility.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 02:21:44 PM »

Wow..........imagine that.  :stirpot:

Oh, I get it now....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 03:14:14 PM »
From what I gather it is about $150 in parts (springs and friction plates) and a very easy job to do... 

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 03:20:44 PM »
From what I gather it is about $150 in parts (springs and friction plates) and a very easy job to do...

And a good 6 pack of beer!  :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 03:24:04 PM »
That price is not so bad. I did read somewhere that they are pretty easy to do.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 03:28:49 PM »

And a good 6 pack of beer!  :thumbs:

Yeah not much of a drinker or a smoker...  Prefer to spend my money on gas so I can ride more  ;)  but each to their own...  We have a few Harley/Cruiser groups that seems to be all they do is ride from bar to bar, not my idea of fun.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 03:33:31 PM »
That price is not so bad. I did read somewhere that they are pretty easy to do.

That's the same impression I and getting on the degree of difficulty...  The dealer gets $150 labor for the job so it can't be more then a hour or two at tops and half of that time is removing the plastics etc...

I have the service manual along with the internet :) and most importantly Phil's video's so I shouldn't have any problems...  I think I will tackle this job myself.  I will let you know how it goes.... 

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 05:33:09 PM »
That's the same impression I and getting on the degree of difficulty...  The dealer gets $150 labor for the job so it can't be more then a hour or two at tops and half of that time is removing the plastics etc...

I have the service manual along with the internet :) and most importantly Phil's video's so I shouldn't have any problems...  I think I will tackle this job myself.  I will let you know how it goes....
Cool. I'll be putting a clutch in mine eventually too. I figure, I'll be in My 80s by then though.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 01:14:54 PM »
Love the Internet!!  So best price I found was mrcycles.com - Total for 6 new springs, 8 new friction plates and gasket was $150.44.  I called my local dealer and they matched the price so I saved $44 off retail prices, 23% savings :)  not to bad for a few mins of searching.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 01:34:45 AM by wildnphx »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 01:26:08 PM »
Excellent!  It would be nice if you can document the procedure as well, if you time.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 01:34:30 PM »
Excellent!  It would be nice if you can document the procedure as well, if you time.

+1
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 01:41:57 AM »

I suppose I could setup the Gopro but only if Pokey promises not to criticize every step....   j/k  hahaha     My only problem with video is it will get real boring cause I don't talk to much while working especially to a camera  ???

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 04:03:17 AM »
Simple photos would suffice.  No need to make a production out of it.  Also, any issues you run into etc.....

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 11:01:36 AM »
I suppose I could setup the Gopro but only if Pokey promises not to criticize every step....   j/k  hahaha     My only problem with video is it will get real boring cause I don't talk to much while working especially to a camera  ???

I am not like that trust me, think you have the wrong impression.  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline punkynlew1

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 01:12:26 PM »
I got a call today from Chris Jones. He had to retune my bike on the dyno because Dynojet wiped the tuning map he had done from the PCIIIusb. It was returned because the '08 unit wouldn't work with the Hub and boost controller. Dynojet corrected the unit. They probably flashed some missing programming. Chris said he set the 1st stage boost at 8 lbs. and 2nd stage at 12 lbs. making 247 hp. He's not happy with the streetability at higher hp. He had installed heavier clutch springs and said he now has removed them and installed '12 ZX14R springs. They are probably the ones he took out of Rickey Gadson's new bike, when they were replaced with a super racing clutch set from Brock. Later, amigo. Lew

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 01:56:06 PM »
I haven't done the C14 but have done a couple of other bikes.  Usually it's a piece of cake.  You didn't mention buying a new gasket.  That will be required unless they use an o-ring.  The last bike I did, removing the stuck on gasket was the hardest part of the job.  Why do you need to buy new springs?  Unless it was really, really overheated the old ones should be fine.

I watched a race mechanic replace the clutch on a superbike at Road America.  5 minutes.  Of course he had everything right there and nothing was stuck together. 

Finally, soak the clutch friction plates in oil over night before installing them.