Author Topic: Trailer Wiring and Isolator  (Read 2128 times)

ang

Trailer Wiring and Isolator
« on: October 19, 2012, 12:41:40 PM »
Do I have to use an isolator when I do my wiring for my trailer hook up?

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
Re: Trailer Wiring and Isolator
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 05:06:13 PM »
If your trailer has only two lights on the back, then you require a converter.  If your trailer has a set of lights for your signals and tail lights and a separate  set of lights for your brakes, then you do not require a converter.

Here is a great write up on this topic. http://www.customcruiserchrome.com/converter

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 07:37:42 PM »
ang,
  Check this place out. http://www.openroadoutfitters.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65_70&zenid=95oqsmggraiunvsb8iqj4sa9n2. Very informative and is who I went through to wire my bike to pull my Harbor Freight trailer. Easy to follow instructions as well. My trailer has the running, brake and turn signal in each light.

MArk

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 04:21:46 AM »
I would recommend  using one. It's just basically a relay so that you don't over tax your bike's wiring or fuses.

ang

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 07:18:35 AM »
Mark, is that a Bushtec hitch? Do you have any other pictures of it.

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 07:52:25 AM »
It's a Denray Hitch. I purchased it through "customcruiserchrome". Worked great on a 6,000 mile trip i took this year. It is the best hitch at the best price I found online. Very sturdy and goes with the flow of the bike.

Offline MS1400

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 12:42:28 PM »
The thread relived!  I tried to send a PM but numerous times I could not spell New York they way they wanted it spelled I guess.  I go there once a week and I am pretty sure it's the largest city.  Oh Well. (I'm ready)

Hey I read all the hitch threads and saved myself from buying the Buschtec hitch and my Denray just arrived.  Wondering if you had any tips you can share with me on the install. 

I have a 2012 C14  Red, the faster color,  anyways.  I read through the directions. skimming and I notice they say something about drilling the passenger peg holes out more to get the larger bolts in there.  ??? did you? 
And
They say you have to trim the rubber from under the seat to get it to fit. ????  Like what?  Why would that be? 
I am installing the isolator for the lights same day, I think I have all that figured out.  I am going to go with a plug more near the top to keep the wires off the hitch while not towing and have a pigtail that plugs in further up. 

Anyways about how long a job is this.  and any tricks to it or anything to watch out for.