Author Topic: C-14 Galfer Rotors pulsating. **UPDATE**  (Read 16134 times)

Offline Steve Bell

Re: C-14 Galfer Rotors pulsating.
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2011, 10:31:59 PM »
I can take a look in the morning! Maybe I can steal the rotors off my wifes FZ-1?? :-X

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2011, 11:05:33 PM »
Let us know if it works out for you.. ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Steve Bell

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 06:22:15 PM »
I'm sure you could all figure that the rotors on my GSX-R and the FZ-1 are quite different just in where they bolt to the wheel that I did not even have to take out a tape measure! Anyway Galfer should get back to me tomorrow and I will report back.
Steve.

Offline Wanderlust

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 10:17:10 AM »
After a few days of phone tag I finally got to talk to a Tech at Galfer. First off he is aware of the Kawasaki rotor issue and he heard that the problem with Kawasaki's warping Rotors was pistons not retracting in the calipers properly and brake pads dragging and warping the rotors!! He also said it was easier for Kawasaki to replace rotors rather than brake calipers.
So he tells me I probably have a brake piston problem.
He told me that the run out tolerence for Galfer is .004" and if I want to blast my rotors to remove old pad material to use #90 glass beads. The other method he recommended is 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper wet with soap and water in a figure 8 motion.
I will check my calipers for binding pistons and the run out on the rotors and let you know.

Steve.

This sounds like it explains what happened with me. I got my stock rotors replaced under warranty and the new ones started the chattering thingy within 3000 miles. The dealer asked me to leave my bike so they could check the entire brake system at the wheel and the result was Kawasaki agreeing to replace the entire brake caliper assembly. I am currently waiting for the parts to arrive so they can do the replacement.
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, Hey, is there room in your head for one more?

Offline Steve Bell

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 07:03:04 PM »
Well it must be a big decision for Galfer if they will replace or not, I sent in my pictures and run out readings and they have not responded the last 3 days?  ???

Offline Steve Bell

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 04:41:06 PM »
Well not the best news....I had to call them back because again today there was no message or E-Mail.
They will not take my readings and photos as proof that the rotors are warped and I need to send the rotors to Galfer for inspection at MY cost.  If they agree that these should be replaced after inspection they will send me a new set at MY cost and if they feel that this is not a warranty issue they will send me back my same rotors at MY cost.
Looks like my bike will be down for 3+ weeks with shipping and inspection times.  :(

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 04:46:35 PM »
I installed some Galfer pads last night, so far so good. ;) I have a hard time believing your rotors are actually warped, but I guess it is remotely possible.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2011, 01:07:18 PM »
I've dealt with Galfer before.  Not on a streetbike issue, but with some dirtbike lines.  Let me say they were very nice to work with, but the issues was deemed "my fault". I suppose it was, but one might think a fitting should hold up to Hercules like grip on the brake lever.

I've since found Vesrah makes some very, very good brake pads.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2011, 01:33:04 PM »
Well not the best news....I had to call them back because again today there was no message or E-Mail.
They will not take my readings and photos as proof that the rotors are warped and I need to send the rotors to Galfer for inspection at MY cost.  If they agree that these should be replaced after inspection they will send me a new set at MY cost and if they feel that this is not a warranty issue they will send me back my same rotors at MY cost.
Looks like my bike will be down for 3+ weeks with shipping and inspection times.  :(

Tell them you are letting the whole world know about this at THEIR cost.

8)

Offline Steve Bell

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 05:11:01 PM »
I've dealt with Galfer before.  Not on a streetbike issue, but with some dirtbike lines.  Let me say they were very nice to work with, but the issues was deemed "my fault". I suppose it was, but one might think a fitting should hold up to Hercules like grip on the brake lever.

I've since found Vesrah makes some very, very good brake pads.

My last phone call with Galfer sounded like this was going to be all my fault and that I must have done something wrong like touched the brake lever or something!! Also they were pretty quick to blame the warped rotors on Kawasaki calipers. I guess we will see when I send them in to look at but whatever answer they come back with does not change the fact that they are warped almost 4 times past thier service limit on one side and just over the limit on the other.

Offline Steve Bell

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2011, 05:15:25 PM »
Tell them you are letting the whole world know about this at THEIR cost.

8)

Some companies will never understand customer service and what losing a customer will cost them in the future. I am still hopeful for a new set when they see how far out these are and if I am only out shipping costs thats not as much as if my $600.00 rotors are garbage.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2011, 10:33:34 PM »
Steve, thats just about the same attitude they had with me.  Their brake lines are cool since the fittings rotate, when assembled, and will allow perfect alignment like factory hoses. However, this cool feature makes the fittings very brittle.  They "break" like glass if pressure is put on them. Ga8.00lfer offered to put  a new fitting on my old line of I paid 8.00 plus shipping both ways.  I laughed at the 8.00, but  decided the garbage can was the best place for this line.

I knwo the old (2003???) Tokiko calipers we used on the Suzuki sv bikes would get sticky pistons once they got dirty and slightly corroded. I wonder if something like that is goign on here?  I would like to avoid roasting the rotors on my "new to me" 2008 abs model, is possible, especially since the brakes are amazingly good.

Offline Steve Bell

Re: C-14 Galfer Rotors pulsating. **UPDATE**
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 04:25:34 PM »
Well Galfer just called and YES the rotors were warped and YES I am happy to say they are sending me a new set.  :thumbs: :)

I am out another $60.00 because I had to pay the shipping for them to inspect my rotors and again to ship my new set to me, better than paying for another set I guess!

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 04:32:34 PM »
Did you have a dealer install your Galfers, per their warranty clause... or did you do them yourself?  I have a set on the way (backorderd till 8/18...  ::)) was going to put them on myself.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 04:36:36 PM »
I can see paying to ship the rotors to Galfer, but I can't believe they made you pay for the shipping back to you.  That right there is enough to keep me from dealing with them.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Steve Bell

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2011, 04:42:06 PM »
Did you have a dealer install your Galfers, per their warranty clause... or did you do them yourself?  I have a set on the way (backorderd till 8/18...  ::)) was going to put them on myself.

I installed the rotors myself, and I do not see that listed on Galfer's website that a dealer needs to install rotors?

Offline Steve Bell

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2011, 04:47:26 PM »
I can see paying to ship the rotors to Galfer, but I can't believe they made you pay for the shipping back to you.  That right there is enough to keep me from dealing with them.

Well they do offer free shipping in the good Ole USA but because I am Canadian I pay both ways.  ;)

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2011, 04:47:59 PM »
I saw it on something... forget where now.  But it pretty much stated it had to be installed by a "professional" for the warranty to stand.  I'm glad they stood behind it for you, other than you paying for shipping.
Rob

Offline Steve Bell

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2011, 04:59:01 PM »
I have a set on the way (backorderd till 8/18...  ::))

Galfer just called me back to inform me that the rotors are actually back ordered.  :( Looks like another month with no bike.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2011, 09:01:07 AM »
Yeah... I was wondering when you would get yours.  Sorry to say you are in the same boat as I on the backorder.  I at least have some pulsing Kawasaki rotors on till the Galfers come in, which should last.

Good luck on your new set.  ;)
Rob