Author Topic: Motorcycle vs. Police Cruiser  (Read 6062 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Motorcycle vs. Police Cruiser
« on: September 19, 2012, 07:03:57 PM »
#$#%ing cops and their u-turns. Bike lands on car, rider flips over, hits the street and stands up.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2011-08-21/story/mototcyclist-escapes-serious-injury-collision-jacksonville-police#ixzz26xd1zVyD

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Xelvic

Re: Motorcycle vs. Police Cruiser
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 07:24:03 PM »
Wow!!! I can't believe the rider only suffered minor injuries. He must have jumped over the patrol car!! Lucky for him the roads were wet too, make it easier when sliding on your face!  ::)
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 08:32:43 PM »
And they're allowed to go faster because they've had 'safety training'.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 08:37:22 PM »
 :o

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 10:16:26 PM »
Yeah, just like their weapons training.

Offline Xelvic

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 12:16:38 AM »
Are you guys bagging on all cops or just the Jacksonville Sheriff's Department, or the Deputy driving that particular cruiser??? Sounds like this is turning into a cop hating thread. If that's what it is then I think you guys are going to far. Everyone makes mistakes including cops. I'm sure he didn't mean to turn in front of the guy and under different circumstances that cop would have probably given his life to save his. I would love for every cop in the country to all go on strike for just 1 day. Maybe then people would remember just what a vital part of society they are.  If I read into this more than I should or I missed something then I apologize. I just hate when the general public puts all cops in the same boat when something wrong happens. The media never reports on what they do good, only what they screw up. A cop can go his whole career and save thousands of lives, put hundreds of criminals in jail and the media will never mention it once. That same cop can make one mistake and it's blasted all over the news and the public will shame him. Cops are human and are allowed to screw up every once in awhile just like the rest of us. Can any of you honestly say that you have never made a driving mistake where you could have put someone else in danger by your actions? I cant and neither can most cops.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 04:17:12 AM »
I give the rider a '10' as he stuck the landing.  Man, I wish that was on film.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 07:20:48 AM »
No LEO bashing here, just making fun of the silly ones.
Has anyone noticed at the end of most MC stories they always end with "he was/wasnt wearing a helmet"
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 11:16:43 AM »
I come from a family of cops, two uncles and my step-dad. If it hadn't been for my vision I would have become one also. I bash the dumb butts. There are plenty good ones. I am so tired of people taking something that is said and then make believing like we are talking about everyone. We shouldn't have to parse our language to make it absolutely clear beyond a reasonable doubt that you are only talking about a few, not all. The assumption should be that unless specifying that you are talking about all people/cops/colors/whatever, that it obviously applies to a few/some/partial. Do I have to put up the video again of the cop in a classroom talking to some kids and him telling them that only he is allowed to carry and handle the weapon because he has been trained how to handle it and then proceeds to blow a hole in his foot in front of the class?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 01:44:58 PM »
Actually, that was a good video.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Xelvic

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 02:19:40 PM »
I come from a family of cops, two uncles and my step-dad. If it hadn't been for my vision I would have become one also. I bash the dumb butts. There are plenty good ones. I am so tired of people taking something that is said and then make believing like we are talking about everyone. We shouldn't have to parse our language to make it absolutely clear beyond a reasonable doubt that you are only talking about a few, not all. The assumption should be that unless specifying that you are talking about all people/cops/colors/whatever, that it obviously applies to a few/some/partial. Do I have to put up the video again of the cop in a classroom talking to some kids and him telling them that only he is allowed to carry and handle the weapon because he has been trained how to handle it and then proceeds to blow a hole in his foot in front of the class?

If I remember right that video was of an Federal ATF agent? I don't consider them cops in my book. Cops are the ones that come to your house when you dial 911, patrol your neighborhoods, and run towards the threat when everyone else is running away. Technically speaking, I know federal agents of any sort are cops, but don't hold them to the level of the local guys.  Also, no one said "that cop" or "this cop" It was "F'ing cops:...."those cops"..."their training". If I remember correctly those words do not apply when referring to an individual but to an entire entity. So that was my concern.  I'm not trying to **** anyone off, just sticking up for the ones who guard us.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 02:30:16 PM »
Xelvic,

I know that you haven't been on the board long so you wouldn't know. There are several LEOs on this forum and I think that you'll find that most, if not all, of us have the utmost respect for these guys and LEOs in general. Just as in all walks of life, there are good guys and bad guys. It's the bad cops that can give the good ones a bad name from time to time.

That said, LEOs are held to a higher standard than the general population and when they make a mistake, as the cop did in this thread, a big deal is often made of it. This cop could have very easily killed the guy on the bike through his carelessness.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Xelvic

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 03:20:05 PM »
Thanks Conrad. I would also like to know more information and what really transpired in this collision. The news article said nothing about it. Was this just inattention by the LEO or maybe the guy on the bike was going way to fast not allowing ample time for the deputy to see him? I'm not picking sides on this one, but I will reserve comment until the facts are known.  It looks like a rainy day and the visibility was poor at best. I would like to think the guy on the "crotch rocket" was not doing twice the speed limit and was riding as safe as he could.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 05:15:54 PM »
Probably texting or talking on the phone, both of which I have seen officers doing. ;)   
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Xelvic

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 06:01:28 PM »
Probably texting or talking on the phone, both of which I have seen officers doing. ;)

"Probably"..... hmmmmm... ok. Lets go the other way then... maybe he was flipping a bitch to respond to an armed robbery, or maybe save a child drowning in a pool. Maybe they will update the article and we'll find out.  ;)

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 07:58:55 PM »
I just think its a damn shame that poor R1 has a baby blue seat on it......poor thing

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 08:38:36 PM »
"Probably"..... hmmmmm... ok. Lets go the other way then... maybe he was flipping a bitch to respond to an armed robbery, or maybe save a child drowning in a pool. Maybe they will update the article and we'll find out.  ;)

Could very well be, maybe even on the phone with dispatch at the time? Or maybe he spilled his coffee on his crotch, or perhaps he was searching frantically for the dropped jelly doughnut between the console and the seat? ???
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 04:15:56 AM »
I rather doubt we'll find out either way as that's usually handled internally.   We had an incident very similar in the next county over.  Deputy pulled a U-turn and a car ran into her cruiser.  They let her go.  Not for just that, though, for some other things going on as well.  That was somewhat of a last straw, I think.

Offline Xelvic

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 08:08:04 AM »
Here is a larger picture of it. Do any of you guys think that there should be more damage to the front of the bike if it was a frontal impact? Maybe he slid into the cruiser sideways or something.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 11:21:58 AM »
That rider must be a Cirque Du Solei performer, have no idea how they were able to do that.   :o
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"