Author Topic: TIRE THREAD... How are your PR3 fronts wearing compared to the rears?  (Read 11623 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
So my rear PR3 is getting close to the wear bars, think I'll replace it before the rain starts, which we all know is coming sooner than later...  :(

I was gonna replace both front and rear together but in looking at the front it still looks pretty good...  :-\

What have you guys been noticing on front vs rear wear on the PR3's, are you getting 1 front to every 2 rears or less or more?

What erks me is I just had my wheels off last month for the other work and the rear still looked like it had at least a couple more months left in it, but man once they start to go I guess they go fast!  :o

I don't want to just do the rear now and then have the front go shortly there after (even though right now looks fine) and have to go back in for the front, your thoughts?  :-\

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
Re: TIRE THREAD... How are your PR3 fronts wearing compared to the rears?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 07:11:45 PM »
Replace them both.  Better to be confident than to be wondering with every corner.  Plus the extra front can be saved as a emergency spare.

I just bought my second set of PR3's, but I'm going to run the current ones as long as I can.  The rear is running out of grove in the center, but the sides still have plenty of bite.  The front still looks pretty good.

Motorcycle Superstore just announced a sale on PR3's, something like $32x.00 shipped for the 190/55 + 120/70.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 07:50:54 PM »
Plus the extra front can be saved as a emergency spare.

+1

This little trick saved me from buying a new front tire. And the one I had will get me through the winter and then some I bet.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 07:54:38 PM »
14k fronts, 6-7k rears
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 08:06:08 PM »
Wow, that's completely opposite from my stock tires (your old stock tires). The front wore out quickly on the sides (3500 miles); the back looks perfectly fine. I really want to try a new set of tires, but I could probably buy a new BX for the front and ride it for another season. Other than mileage, I've really had no complaints about these tires.

How many miles do you have on the PR3s? What kind of ridding do you do? Are you using a 50 or 55 on the rear?

I've read some mixed reviews about the PR3s from other motorcycle forums. The general consensus is that they are great for performance but only OK for mileage.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 08:12:17 PM »
Wow, that's completely opposite from my stock tires (your old stock tires). The front wore out quickly on the sides (3500 miles); the back looks perfectly fine. I really want to try a new set of tires, but I could probably buy a new BX for the front and ride it for another season. Other than mileage, I've really had no complaints about these tires.

How many miles do you have on the PR3s? What kind of ridding do you do? Are you using a 50 or 55 on the rear?

I've read some mixed reviews about the PR3s from other motorcycle forums. The general consensus is that they are great for performance but only OK for mileage.

Hey OL, glad to hear you got some use out of those stones...  ;)

I've got about 5500 on the PR3's, not many highway miles, (maybe 10% highway if that), the wear is pretty even across the whole tire, no flat spot, it is just getting down to the wear bars.

14k fronts, 6-7k rears

That's kinda what I was thinking too Steve, but given how fast the rear went from ok to not at the end of life I'm on the fence about the front...  :-\

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 08:13:56 PM »
Straight FL roads and I'm skinny and not a lot of weight on front, backs go flat and worn at 6-7k, front still good
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline sycamoredave

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 08:27:55 PM »
I have about 4K on my PR3s and they are wearing pretty well.  I have no idea how long they will last, but probably a bunch longer than the old Avon Storms they replaced.  I barely got 5K out of them.  My PR2s got close to 7K.

Dave

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 11:09:01 PM »

PR3 a 7400 miglia e sono a metà usura.

http://youtu.be/mM-tF4zYpqk

MGvalerio. 8)
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 07:04:35 AM »
I have run two rears for every front on my bike.  I have a pretty heavy right hand though.......... ;)
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 07:29:18 AM »
I have run two rears for every front on my bike.  I have a pretty heavy right hand though.......... ;)

^^^^  me too

Offline Spanky

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 04:01:08 PM »
Save the front tire - do wheelies.

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 04:07:17 PM »
Nothing like starting off with brand new tires front and rear.....
Ninjawarrior

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 05:21:41 PM »
Sounds like you guys aren't using the front brakes very much.  ;)

I've probably got 30% left on the front, while the back is almost to the wear bars.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline chap

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 02:29:57 PM »
I know this has been discussed before. I still have the stock tires on my 2010 C14 I now have just over 12,000 km (8000 Miles) and am just about at the wear bar (on the rear). From what I am reading that is about twice what you guys are getting. For next season I will be changing them both. I was thinkong about the PR3's, which you all say last about 7000 miles. Do you guys think I will get the same increase in wear that I saw with the stock (ie 15000 miles). Would be a phenominal thought. I ride mostly on the Praries in Canada. So all straight ahead, and once or twice per year head to the Rockeys for some twisty action.
Thanks, and sorry for probably repeating what may have already been said
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 02:58:48 PM »
I decided to just swap the rear tire and keep running the front since it still looks fine, new rear rubber installed today!  :thumbs:   :) 

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 04:17:24 PM by ZG »

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 06:28:35 PM »
Wow, all the money you've spent on that bike and you cheaped out on $125 for a new front tire?  I don't get that...   :nuts:

I always swap them in pairs, so if nothing else, I've got fresh rubber front and back.  Maybe that's just me (and Steve).  ;)

I did change my oil today, and even put on a new filter (the outside of it was dirty).  ::)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 06:36:08 PM »
Wow, all the money you've spent on that bike and you cheaped out on $125 for a new front tire?  I don't get that...   :nuts:

I always swap them in pairs, so if nothing else, I've got fresh rubber front and back.  Maybe that's just me (and Steve).  ;)

I did change my oil today, and even put on a new filter (the outside of it was dirty).  ::)

Actually Rob, if you re-read Steve's post even he said 2 rears to 1 front...  ;)

Trust me, if the front needed changing I would have, but it literaly looks only 50%.  :)

Yep, fresh oil change for me today too.  :)   :chugbeer:

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 01:16:48 AM »

Actually Rob, if you re-read Steve's post even he said 2 rears to 1 front...  ;)

Trust me, if the front needed changing I would have, but it literaly looks only 50%.  :)

Yep, fresh oil change for me today too.  :)   :chugbeer:

Ah, so he did.  I'm sure sometime in the past he claimed he always swapped them in pairs though.  Guess I'm all alone on this one.

Oh well, it's only money, right Jay?

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 06:00:15 AM »
I'm getting nearly twice the miles out of my PR3 front than rear as well.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384