Author Topic: 2012 C14 touring capabilities.  (Read 27384 times)

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
2012 C14 touring capabilities.
« on: September 17, 2012, 10:54:10 PM »
  Very new here and very close to buying a 2012.  After having ridden a Victory Vision for the last 3 1/2 years I may be ready for something easier to handle.  I think the Vision is a great handing bike for a 900 lb v-twin tourer but the wife and I were on a long trip covering upstate NY into New England and the GPS took us over Smugglers Notch going to Stowe and both I and the vision met our comfort match. Especially 2 up LOADED.      I have some questions about the Connie.  First off the saddlebags are much larger so it should be easier to pack heavy stuff down low. The bike has a very good weight capacity so I think I could stay real close to not going over. When est riding the bike one up I was surprised at how stable and little affected by wind the bike is. I love the fact the bike had a slow feel to handling, I hate a bike that changes lane every time you turn your head to look at something.

IS the bike still as stable (not twitchy) two up? Would you still look forward to riding demanding roads and not dread them?

Does it that top heavy feel with added weight and want to tip over while stopping at lights?  (I am thinking Gold Wing)

Anyone have an opinion on the 48 liter Kawasaki trunk, looks like a GIVI? 

Anyone using a large tankbag to carry some heavy items while traveling, Thinking leather jackets?
Walt

I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Re: 2012 C14 touring capabilities.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 11:45:39 PM »
hello Walt,

you came to the right place to hear about the great capabilities of the C14. I haven't driven a Vision or any big twin tourer, so take my comments for what they are: from somebody really happy with his C14, and despite having access to many other great bikes (for work reasons) I stick with the Kawi, and my gf really likes it too.

I live in Munich, Germany, and the place, specially to the south, is full with curves and alpine passes, and taking them on with girlfriend and fully loaded bags is a pleasure. Of course I preffer to get to the hotel, ditch all the luggage, live the gf by the pool and go have fun, but getting there is definitely not an issue. It demands a bit more respect and longer braking distances, just like with any other vehicle. At low speeds it requires being used to it, since this bike fully loaded is about 1100 pounds, not exactly something you want to wrestle with. Once it's moving at anything above walking speed, the weight evaporates. Hairpins are still a challenge, but practice and it will reward you.

Regarding the tankbag, I avoid it if possible because I rarely travel in a straight line for longer than a couple hundred miles, and I need the space to move my arms. But if I do take it, it's also ok. I don't use it for a jacket though, but for my camera (a bulky DSLR) and other quickly accessible items, like a bottle of water, snacks and my documents.

I can't help you with the Kawasaki trunk which is indeed a rebranded Givi. I have a 46 lt Givi topcase which I paid peanuts for, and I'd love to have a bigger one (thinking Maxia here) but I just don't wan't to spend the $$ for it.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline pistole

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 03:20:59 AM »
Especially 2 up LOADED

- imho , those requirements spell Goldwing or something with a Glide/King in its name.

- a C14 , two up and loaded requires alot of respect because she has a fair bit of weight up top (worse when your partner is on and with luggage). There was a chap (can't remember whether it was this site or the other one) who bought one and then gave up on it in quick order when trying to muscle it around with his partner on the back. He went with touring HD and loved it.

- good luck with your search.

Offline stewart

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 04:57:15 AM »
2-up and fully loaded stopped and at slow speeds requires a lot of attention and focus.

But moving above 5-10 mph, the connie handles like a dream.

I have the Givi 55litre and use a large tank bag. Yea move weight up top doesn't help....but the same can be said for any 2-wheel machine.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 04:59:57 AM »
My wife and I went over Smuggler's Notch of few years ago while staying in Vermont. We took the Goldwing and I can see how it could get a bit freaky in the very tight and narrow top turn. By the time you add the top trunk and a few other farkles to the the Connie it will weigh about 250 lbs. less than your Victory. I love the way the Connie handles, but carries it's additional weight higher than your Vision does. I prefer my Goldwing for long distance touring as does the wife, but have taken the Concours on long trips. I don't think you will be disappointed if you get the C-14 though. It's a great bike.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 07:14:33 AM »
My wife and I have racked up about 25,000 miles two up on our 08 C14. We go on at least one, two week trip every year and always to the mountains looking for twisty roads.  That is exactly what I bought this bike for and it does it extremely well. Tight switchbacks are not my favorite thing on it but but I prefer them to touring on a less comfortable bike.

We tour fully loaded including tankbag and a Givi Maxia with a soft bag strapped to the top and I am used to the extra weight after the first 5 miles. My wife is 115 lbs and an excellent passenger and I hardly ever notice she there.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 07:22:25 AM »
  Let me qualify a few points and make clear my problem with the Vision.  The Vision has pretty small saddlebags, packing light is a learned habit we have not mastered.  We end up packing around 30 pounds on the trunk rack in a secure bag and that rack is high.   I have owned a Harley Ultra and a GL1800, and a BMW K1200LT and of the three the Harley handled the load on the luggage rack and trunk the best, its problem was moving the trunk back to give more passenger room did affect the handling.  I never liked the GL1800 going slow but that engine was nice and smooth. The LT had the worst disconnected feeling going slow with or without a passenger and what I thought to be the worst on gravel or ruts.
  When I thought of bikes to meet my needs the bike that comes to mind first is a BMW R1200RT-lighter in weight low big Saddlebags The C14 probably compares with the K1200GT more closely but on thing attracts me is the big usable rack the C14 has would give me the ability to use a big MotoFizz camping bag in case we want to tent camp.  The Vision would not work for tent camping, rack too small in size.
    Sooooo is the C14 a reasonable alternative to the BMW R1200RT.  I cant afford a new RT now and reliability issues are present.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 07:40:08 AM »
Sooooo is the C14 a reasonable alternative to the BMW R1200RT.  I cant afford a new RT now and reliability issues are present.

My answer to this question is NO. The reason is that looking at a C14 as an alternative to an RT is like looking at traveling to Europe in 1st class on Lufthansa instead of swimming.
I know this because I had an RT for a year when I bought the C14. I had both bikes for another year and finally sold the RT. In that time with both in the garage, I put 500 miles on the RT and 10 000 miles on the Kawasaki.
The difference in power, feeling and sheer driving pleasure is humongous. My gf liked the RT, as she likes the new K1600. But she loves the Concours. So do I.

[EDIT] My gf likes the C14 better because she seats on my "wind shadow". The K16 (at least on the GTL, which has a lower driver's seat) and the RT are clearly worse for her at high speed. When traveling solo, I find the RT quite nice up to 100 mph, and the K16 impressive up to 120 mph or even more. But when my girl is with me, it's a torture for her anything above 90. With the C14, 110 is very acceptable and she is only afraid, not uncomfortable :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:31:49 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 08:36:41 AM »
My answer to this question is NO. The reason is that looking at a C14 as an alternative to an RT is like looking at traveling to Europe in 1st class on Lufthansa instead of swimming.
I know this because I had an RT for a year when I bought the C14. I had both bikes for another year and finally sold the RT. In that time with both in the garage, I put 500 miles on the RT and 10 000 miles on the Kawasaki.
The difference in power, feeling and sheer driving pleasure is humongous. My gf liked the RT, as she likes the new K1600. But she loves the Concours. So do I.

I generally agree with you, although I've ridden two up on my RT a fair amount and I've had no issues with the added weight for low speed handling.  The thing weighs 100 pounds less to begin with and it has a lower CG.  The C14.... not so fun when you have to stop.  Doable but it's a chore.

I consider an RT to be a better long distance touring machine - slightly better wind protection, factory cruise and a 300+ mile range.  That would be my choice for a coast to coast run.  For pure riding fun and better high speed handling, the C14 wins hands down.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 08:57:55 AM »
To sum it up.  The 14 is quite capable of touring 2 up.  Each bike has it's own set of challenges, we are on 2 wheels afterall.  Speaking for me, I have no issues 2 up, loaded to the hilt.  I had an 1150 RT, it was plusher ride wise and offered slightly more wind protection, but no where near the fun factor the 14 offers.  If the only riding I did was 2 up from a pure comfort factor the RT wins.  That is the ONLY plus the RT offers.  I'm staying with the 14.  FWIW, my F800GS is a great off road touring bike as well ;D

Offline SPX

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 10:28:20 AM »

If you can't afford an RT, then yes the C14 is a reasonable alternative. But if you can swing the RT, I say you won't regret it. See this thread for more info from a site with no brand bias. In other words, if you go to a BMW site, you'll be told the BMW is better. Go to a Kawasaki site, you'll be told the C14 is better. Go to an unbiased site, and you'll likely end up closer to the truth.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566455

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 11:03:41 AM »
If you can't afford an RT, then yes the C14 is a reasonable alternative. But if you can swing the RT, I say you won't regret it. See this thread for more info from a site with no brand bias. In other words, if you go to a BMW site, you'll be told the BMW is better. Go to a Kawasaki site, you'll be told the C14 is better. Go to an unbiased site, and you'll likely end up closer to the truth.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566455

The BMW 1200RT is a lot more pricey yes, but I don't think it's a better bike.  Honestly the quality is about the same between the both of them.  They are just different bikes, that's all.  Get the bike that meets your mission requirements.

Offline Rocket Therapy

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 11:28:59 AM »
I agree the worst thing I read in that thread was mostly the dealer

Offline SPX

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 11:49:46 AM »
The BMW 1200RT is a lot more pricey yes, but I don't think it's a better bike.  Honestly the quality is about the same between the both of them.  They are just different bikes, that's all.  Get the bike that meets your mission requirements.

I agree with what you've said above, and couldn't have said it better myself. The bikes are different. For those that do a lot of two up, the RT seems to be preferred normally. For more sporty, less touring, and single rider trips, the opinions are certainly more split. I love my RT, but I also really like the C14. If the C14 had cruise control, and a stereo, I would have had a much more difficult decision to make. Riding 30,000+ miles per year, with some interstate at times, the factory cruise control was important to me.

Offline TJ

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 12:49:20 PM »
Have the 48 liter Givi top case that you asked about. No doubt the C14 would be a better tourer than your Victory. But if I were going to do a lot of touring with a rider behind me I would go back to a Gold Wing.

Don't get me wrong, I love my C14 but I ride mainly with just me on the bike.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline CARLÃO

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 01:05:45 PM »
In spite a disgusting problem with the sensor, I love the C-14. It is confortable for travel and I have to mention the quality of the roads in my country. I drove over 12. km since january, my butt says its soft, and it is pretty economic and the piloting is safe. The price difference for the BMW is huge and don't work. I use a Maxxia 52 litres but only for less weight then 10 kg. My bike is this and I will have it for years.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 03:08:21 PM »
That's the spirit!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 05:26:53 PM »
 I think whether or not you think a C-14 is huge and top heavy with a passenger and luggage depends on your size and that of your passenger. I'm 6' 220. My wife is 5'4" 120. I think the C-14 is great and still handles well with her on the back and my 55 liter Givi and bags stuffed to the gills and my extra large tank bag in front. 

Having owned everything from a CB750 Honda to a Harley ultra I am more satisfied with my C-14 than anything I've owned for an all around bike.
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 09:11:13 PM »
  One other question and observation is stability in dirty air.  During my C14 test ride I rode a few miles on the highway and chose to spend some time in the wake of three large trucks around me and I was really surprised at little affected the bike was and how little buffeting came through to me.  In that regard the only other bike in memory that achieved this was my 1984 BMW RS.  Does adding a passenger and a top case disrupt this attribute or does everyone just take this for granted.  My big luxo tourers all are or have been far worse.

Offline Spanky

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 10:21:35 PM »
Add a Cee Baileys screen and you will have even smoother airflow than the stock screen, even behind a truck. The C-14 capabilities two up and loaded to the gills with luggage is still beyond what most will be able to make the bike do. I have followed Jamminjere several times when he was two up and fully loaded with luggage on technical roads with tight corners at a pace many would not achieve if they were solo with no luggage. The bike can move. It may be more work due to weight, but if you have the riding skill, the C-14 can cover even highly technical roads with amazing speed. It is not a sport bike, but it is a great sport tourer.