Author Topic: using the spare key in the fob?  (Read 7084 times)

Offline jschrock1

using the spare key in the fob?
« on: September 10, 2012, 07:37:29 PM »
I read this snippet in an article about the 2008 concours, but I don't get it?  How can you use the spare key if the FOB battery is dead?  Can you use the small key to start the bike if you don't have a fob?  It didn't work when I tested it, as I figured.;..  I just don't understand the paragraph...

Losing a transponder would be no different than losing a key (though this system can't be overridden by a locksmith, and requires contacting Kawasaki for a replacement.) If the transponder battery goes low, a meter displays a warning; if it goes out, a small key can be pulled out of the unit to operate the bike.

Offline PH14

Re: using the spare key in the fob?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 07:46:10 PM »
I read this snippet in an article about the 2008 concours, but I don't get it?  How can you use the spare key if the FOB battery is dead?  Can you use the small key to start the bike if you don't have a fob?  It didn't work when I tested it, as I figured.;..  I just don't understand the paragraph...

Losing a transponder would be no different than losing a key (though this system can't be overridden by a locksmith, and requires contacting Kawasaki for a replacement.) If the transponder battery goes low, a meter displays a warning; if it goes out, a small key can be pulled out of the unit to operate the bike.

The manual is a great help on this matter. You can still start the bike with a dead FOB battery by following its instructions, but you still need the FOB.

Offline dras

• Arena
  • The Invisible Man
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 10:39:57 PM »
If the transponder battery goes low, a meter displays a warning; if it goes out, a small key can be pulled out of the unit to operate the bike.
[/quote]

I think what they were trying to convey here is that you can pull out the spare key and place that recessed area of the fob against the front of the ignition key housing and start the bike using the passive capability (the RFID portion) of the fob. Mine works fine this way without pulling out the spare key, but it fits on there real nice with the key removed  ;).
Never get too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 03:04:32 PM »

Starting the Concours always requires both an RFID fob and a key, period.   The small key is spare to open your panniers (hard bags), open the gas cover door, or replace the stovekey (big key) that is normally left in the ignition.

You should never lose your main key if you keep it in the ignition at all times when not in use for some other purpose, which is pretty much how it was designed to work.  Personally, I *NEVER* remove the main key, because I had a "regular" key cut by a locksmith that I carry to use for the panniers and gas.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 03:15:12 PM »
I've heard that using the stove knob key is 'bad juju' unless one does the KiPass dance w/in 20 minutes afterward.

Brian

Starting the Concours always requires both an RFID fob and a key, period.   The small key is spare to open your panniers (hard bags), open the gas cover door, or replace the stovekey (big key) that is normally left in the ignition.

You should never lose your main key if you keep it in the ignition at all times when not in use for some other purpose, which is pretty much how it was designed to work.  Personally, I *NEVER* remove the main key, because I had a "regular" key cut by a locksmith that I carry to use for the panniers and gas.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 03:16:17 PM »
I've heard that using the stove knob key is 'bad juju' unless one does the KiPass dance w/in 20 minutes afterward.

You forgot the required chant/prayer that must also be recited....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 03:30:40 PM »
I believe that is incorrect- if you do the dance w/in the alloted time, you can skip the chant.

Of course those who think they can assuage the system by throwing salt over their shoulder are being foolish and simply tempting the fates.

Brian

You forgot the required chant/prayer that must also be recited....
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 04:11:53 PM »
I believe that is incorrect- if you do the dance w/in the alloted time, you can skip the chant.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.  You only need the chant if you take too long to do the dance.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 04:54:30 AM »
What happens if one dances like this?

Seinfeld - The Elaine Dance
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 06:40:40 AM »
This is the "winningest" topic on the Internetz today
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 07:53:55 AM »

I used to could dance like that, but dropping a Buell on my foot ruined me for life  :'(

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 09:51:37 AM »

:rotflmao:  I love that episode!  :thumbs:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 10:10:15 AM »

:rotflmao:  I love that episode!  :thumbs:

Sweet fancy Moses that's some funny stuff!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 11:45:44 AM »
Wrong dance C, that is the before E start Harley dance ;)  It still applies to Harleys today, used to kick in a loose gasket ;)