Author Topic: A different kind of long distance riding... er, vehicular usage  (Read 1625 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
A different kind of long distance riding... er, vehicular usage
« on: September 08, 2012, 11:30:30 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/07/elizabeth-annette-robinson_n_1866225.html?1347061871&icid=maing-grid7%7Cnetscape%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D202745

I am not sure what the moral of that story is but a couple of thoughts:

1) That girl can 'borrow' a car, get up in the middle of the night and drive further than a lot of C-14 owners (ROFLMFO).
2) The greatest human trait is, and always has been, tenacity.

You have to finish reading the story: my first reaction would have been to beat spank er, harshly discipline that kid to w/in an inch of her life. But after a moment's consideration, I think her parents rose to the occasion and did the best thing possible in allowing her to actually meet the other kid. It also served to verify that the other kid really was a kid and not some 55 year old sleazebag (whom I would have harshly disciplined for certain). By not further alienating their daughter, hopefully this whole thing will calm down and even if not, at least they did not put her in a position of virtually being forced to engage in more extreme behavior. Finally, according to that article there will not be any charges filed- kudos to all concerned because that way this whole thing can simply fade away and merely be remembered as an amusing childhood incident rather than an arrest record.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

Re: A different kind of long distance riding... er, vehicular usage
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 11:56:25 AM »
My thoughts-I hope this doesn't encourage other incidents like this.  She shouldnt be "The" example, but "An" example.  I see this young lady learning that being cute (actions, not appearance) gets you off the hook.  That is the lesson being taught to the masses.  The parents must be afraid of alienating their daughters affections, not realizing their actions will have exactly that result down the road.  Again, IMO, they rewarded her poor decision with a visit.  A broad comparison, she robs a bank with a pink water pistol, since it wasn't a real gun, they allow her to keep what she stole.  The bank was so happy she didn't use a real gun, they open an interest drawing account complete with a no limit credit card.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 12:09:35 PM »
Yep, you may well be correct Chet, and as I said that was my first reaction. Also, we do not know what future restrictions / punishments might be given after the event. Seeing as her father took away the game console in the first place I would assume he is not so easy going as to be a bad parent.

But it is also possible that the bigger job done here was to de-fuse the situation, calm things down and smooth over these actions enough (legally speaking mostly) that everyone, including the girl, can get on with things without a heavy burden of legal difficulties, fines, etc. hanging over their collective heads.

Of course this could serve to be a bad example but unfortunately there are so many bad examples already out there, some of whom are very popular celebrities, that this one is 'small potatos' I think. But we are not privy to everything that happened and what is happening now so it is impossible to form a valid opinion either way- without knowing any of the parties or having been there for at least part of this ordeal (at the police station picking up the kid would be the best place to be a fly on the wall IMO) we just don't know what the best course of action might be.

Stealing cars is certainly not what I would normally consider something we should shrug off but this case is a little different: the intent was not to steal the car, she merely 'borrowed' it to run an errand (minimized of course but somewhat accurate). There was no damage to the car as far as we know. This is quite different IMO than 'borrowing' the same car to go out at night, drink to excess (which is any amount for a 13 year old really) and party with several of her friends. I do not believe anyone was really in danger other than perhaps the girl herself if that other kid wasn't a 'kid' at all. Somewhere here there is a line between a criminal act and a youthful indescresion; I would like to believe this case if the latter and the parents are trying to make the whole incident go that way.

Brian

My thoughts-I hope this doesn't encourage other incidents like this.  She shouldnt be "The" example, but "An" example.  I see this young lady learning that being cute (actions, not appearance) gets you off the hook.  That is the lesson being taught to the masses.  The parents must be afraid of alienating their daughters affections, not realizing their actions will have exactly that result down the road.  Again, IMO, they rewarded her poor decision with a visit.  A broad comparison, she robs a bank with a pink water pistol, since it wasn't a real gun, they allow her to keep what she stole.  The bank was so happy she didn't use a real gun, they open an interest drawing account complete with a no limit credit card.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 01:03:27 PM »
Agreed, I would also add, that those other bad examples that have been so heavily covered are in part the "Why" this happened.  I think that is my issue, the coverage this story received.  Someone, somewhere will read this story and the seed has been planted that nothing bad (relatively speaking) will come of it.