Author Topic: Differential leak  (Read 3557 times)

Offline throb

Differential leak
« on: September 01, 2012, 06:53:03 AM »
Okay, so I notice a few days ago there is some moly getting thrown from between the differential housing and the rear rim (Mean Streak rim).  This is about 3,000 miles after the Mean Streak mod rim was installed, and I'm certain it's the Honda Moly 60 lube I used on the splines when I assembled everything and not the Differential lube as it is the same color, consistency and smell of the Honda 60 paste. 

Any suggestions on what seal or O ring needs replacement?  Thanks in advance for suggestions!
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline Summit670

Re: Differential leak
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 08:20:40 AM »
I don't think I'd worry about it for now.  wipe it off and maybe you'll have to wipe some more off later, but then I'm guessing it will stop.

If it keeps leaking, then maybe you need to replace a seal.  Make sure your Diff isn't overfilled.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline throb

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 08:30:45 AM »
Again, it's not the diff fluid (too thick and not the right smell/color) and I already checked the fluid (right at the bottom of the fill hole).  Also, this started after about 3,000 miles since the mean streak wheel went on and fluid was changed, so I think if it was an overfill situation, it would have reared it's head before now.

Don't want it to sling all the moly lube out, so guess I'll peel the rim off and see if I can locate where it's spitting it out.
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 08:49:03 AM »
It's probably a fitment issue.  See, your Concours came standard with a final drive.  If you've retro-fitted a differential to it, it probably doesn't fit correctly so it's leaking.  LOL

Sorry, I love being a smartass.  :D
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline throb

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 09:11:41 AM »
But I tightened all the bolts until they stripped, then backed them off a quarter turn to make up for the different part!

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 09:13:10 AM »
AH!!!  :)  Well then it's probably the S belt....
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 11:11:39 AM »
Okay, so I notice a few days ago there is some moly getting thrown from between the differential housing and the rear rim (Mean Streak rim).  This is about 3,000 miles after the Mean Streak mod rim was installed, and I'm certain it's the Honda Moly 60 lube I used on the splines when I assembled everything and not the Differential lube as it is the same color, consistency and smell of the Honda 60 paste. 

Any suggestions on what seal or O ring needs replacement?  Thanks in advance for suggestions!
  You mean the grease is NOT supposed to be there. Mine has done that for years. I figured it was from over greasing the splines. Sometimes I just wipe it off with a rag.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 06:21:40 PM »
  You mean the grease is NOT supposed to be there. Mine has done that for years. I figured it was from over greasing the splines. Sometimes I just wipe it off with a rag.
+1.  I think the excess grease squeezes out from the splines and then gets flung out onto the rim.  There isn't any seal that is in a position to stop it.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline throb

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 07:51:28 PM »
But why now?  Like I said in the first post, the rim was put on 3,000 miles ago!

Offline Summit670

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 08:16:18 PM »
If you just put the rim on and it either had a lot of grease or if you greased it, then the excess is seeping out.  Just wipe it off and don't worry about it.  After a few times wiping it off, it should pretty much stop.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 08:17:49 PM »
  As far as I'm concerned I don't worry about a little grease. I guess it means I got enough on the splines and a little extra. If it was oil coming from the rear drive that would get my attention!!
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 11:02:47 AM »
It's probably a fitment issue.  See, your Concours came standard with a final drive.  If you've retro-fitted a differential to it, it probably doesn't fit correctly so it's leaking.  LOL

Sorry, I love being a smartass.  :D

LOL, you beat me to it! I was headed there when I saw the thread title ;D
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190