Author Topic: Brake Recall DIY Options  (Read 8950 times)

Offline xKLR

Brake Recall DIY Options
« on: August 19, 2012, 01:29:33 PM »
How long do I have to wait before the brake recall kit can be ordered online? There isn't a delear convenient to me, and I'd like to instal a new rod end on my '08 C14 as soon as it's available.

I plugged the part number from MC 12-05 (99999-0389) into Ron Ayer's fiche system and got no hits. The rod end does not appear to be available as a separate order, only the rod assembly for $35. No indication if it is an updated unit (the drawing shows the old one).

Perhaps I should fill in the old rod end with JB Weld until I can obtain the new one?  :)

In the past, I was able to order the recall headlight knobs for $10/pr, avoiding hours of lost time going to the dealer. They took minutes to install. Any guesses when mama kawi will release parts to the public for the brake fix?

-RC

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Brake Recall DIY Options
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 01:57:58 PM »
How long do I have to wait before the brake recall kit can be ordered online? There isn't a delear convenient to me, and I'd like to instal a new rod end on my '08 C14 as soon as it's available.

Dunno.  Kwak doesn't clue us in to these things.  Take it to a dealer, inconvenient or not.  It would be more inconvenient to have a rock or something jam it up on the road wouldn't it?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 05:00:57 PM »
You want internet answers?

Why not call the helpful support people at Kawasaki Care directly? Perhaps ask for Mark. 1-800-661-RIDE

Or mail at:

Attn: Consumer Services
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
PO Box 25252
Santa Ana, CA 92799-5252

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 05:30:03 PM »
 :rotflmao:

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 05:50:18 PM »
The headlight knob fix was not a recall, it was a service bulletin. Service bulletins are just notices for the dealer network from the manufacturer and it is not critical if they are ever done to a vehicle or not. Recalls on the other hand, are gov't regulated and required fixes for things they (the gov't) have deemed are needed to keep or make a vehicle safe.

You are not likely to get a recall part for a DIY fix- the dealer needs to sign off that the part(s) was installed, it worked properly, etc.

Brian

I plugged the part number from MC 12-05 (99999-0389) into Ron Ayer's fiche system and got no hits. The rod end does not appear to be available as a separate order, only the rod assembly for $35. No indication if it is an updated unit (the drawing shows the old one).

Perhaps I should fill in the old rod end with JB Weld until I can obtain the new one?  :)

In the past, I was able to order the recall headlight knobs for $10/pr, avoiding hours of lost time going to the dealer. They took minutes to install. Any guesses when mama kawi will release parts to the public for the brake fix?

-RC
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 06:05:55 PM »

Why not call the helpful support people at Kawasaki Care directly? Perhaps ask for Mark. 1-800-661-RIDE

Or mail at:

Attn: Consumer Services
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
PO Box 25252
Santa Ana, CA 92799-5252

+1...

Offline xKLR

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 08:41:20 PM »

Thanks for that number. I'll give them a try.

-RC

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 09:05:13 PM »

-RC

Good luck with that, I think we have a better chance of convincing Capt Bob that KIPASS is motorcycle nirvana ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 04:21:01 AM »

-RC

I hope you understand that we were being sarcastic about that number and Mark.  Mark is no friend of anyone that owns a Kwak.  He is anti-customer service.  I think your chances of getting what you want from Kwak are extremely low due to the type of recall.  I can't imagine them letting you do it yourself...but what the heck.  Let us know how you make out.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline xKLR

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 06:00:03 AM »
I can't imagine them letting you do it yourself...but what the heck.  Let us know how you make out.

I _can_ do it myself, if I order the individual parts. $35 for the entire rod assm is a bit much; the rod end alone should be somewhat less. That much is worth it to me to avoid  a lost half-day at the dealer. For the sidcase recall, the only way I could see to DIY was to order the entire sidcase. For that much I suffered the inconvenience of a dealer trip.

It's not like I need to run out and get this recall done immediately. We've been riding around for 5 years without this fix, and trapped rocks are relatively rare. I have the recall shield installed, and that probably helps a smidge. Afaik, no one parked their bike all those years waiting for Kawasaki to come out with a proper fix. :)

-RC

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 06:44:43 AM »
I _can_ do it myself, if I order the individual parts. $35 for the entire rod assm is a bit much; the rod end alone should be somewhat less. That much is worth it to me to avoid  a lost half-day at the dealer. For the sidcase recall, the only way I could see to DIY was to order the entire sidcase. For that much I suffered the inconvenience of a dealer trip.

It's not like I need to run out and get this recall done immediately. We've been riding around for 5 years without this fix, and trapped rocks are relatively rare. I have the recall shield installed, and that probably helps a smidge. Afaik, no one parked their bike all those years waiting for Kawasaki to come out with a proper fix. :)

-RC

+1

I've been warned about rocks attacking my radiator too, its naked with no radiator guard but hasn't happened in 60,000 miles on my '10.  Now that I posted this, it might happen to me with the bike parked  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 06:48:34 AM »
But Steve, don't you have protection?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 07:47:47 AM »
I had the same question. My bike is scheduled to go in tomorrow for the fix but I'm worried that they will have a problem with the fact that about 1/4" of my threaded rod has been cut off to lower the brake peddle for lower pegs.

Offline Bugnut

• The Dude abides.
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 08:37:48 PM »
Trimmed mine long ago for the Murphs. No questions, problems or difficulties from the Service folks. Less than 30 minutes in and out. Didn't even really have time to wander the show room fully.

Mike
"Now I know what the Klingons felt like when the Enterprise was at warp 9 with photon torpedoes firing away as they blasted past. There is no way I could catch up to, much less get past that Concours when it's on the hunt it's lights at full power."

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 08:43:48 PM »

-RC

Only has to happen ONCE to have a bad result. I'll take mine in at some point in the reasonably near future.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline xKLR

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 06:24:55 PM »
At some point I'll need to go to a dealer to reprogram the ECU when I replace the TPSs. Afaik only the dealer can put the new TPS serial numbers in the ECU. At that time I'll have them look at the brake too, if I haven't figured out a workaround.

-RC

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 07:12:49 PM »
It would be interesting if you could find something like a spark plug boot to slide up the rod then back down over the clevis.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 04:19:21 AM »
Maybe a section of bicycle inner tube (narrow tire)?  Although, DIY futzing (not normal maintenance) with brakes could be dangerous.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 04:38:51 AM »
Maybe a section of bicycle inner tube (narrow tire)?  Although, DIY futzing (not normal maintenance) with brakes could be dangerous.
That would be better. More flex/less chance of binding. I agree with the caution Jim. It should be temporary at best.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 11:21:36 AM »
My dealer called me yesterday. Asked how things were going, so we scheduled a lunchtime Friday visit to get it done. Said it takes about 30 minutes.  ;D
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold