Author Topic: horsepower  (Read 14695 times)

Offline Mister Tee

Re: horsepower
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 12:16:37 PM »
The thing about the "Mototune" method is that it's not new at all, accelerated break in procedures like Mototune have been developed a long time ago as a means for rapidly breaking in race engines, which tend to be rebuilt on a periodic basis.  They "work" but you are trading off some life, a small amount of power and oil control for getting the job done in a hurry.  Not an issue in a race engine.

When I worked in engine R&D, we would do the equivalent of "Mototune" for the engines we would use in destruct tests, but never the engines we used for life and performance testing.

Offline booger

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 06:30:19 PM »
I'm guessing the break in period is for the rider not the bike. It was important to get a feel for her. Especially if you're not used to such a powerful bike. My 2011 is the first bike I've owned with this much power on it. So I used the break in period to get a feel for her.
However, I also agree the bike is already broken in.

Bingo.  It wouldn't make much sense for Kawasaki to say run the hell out of it and kill yourself.

Additionally, like basmntdweller stated, who knows how much recording the ECM is capable of.  Why let Kaw balk at your warranty if they knew you were flogging it.

Just take your time, do what your owner's manual says.  You have nothing to loose by doing it by the book.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 07:15:38 PM »
Bingo.  It wouldn't make much sense for Kawasaki to say run the hell out of it and kill yourself.

I know *I* certainly needed the time.  Even coming off of the ZRX, the bike was just so different- heavier, larger, and yes, more powerful.  It took quite a while before I really started giving it a real twist and it already scared me in 2nd gear.

Additionally, like basmntdweller stated, who knows how much recording the ECM is capable of.  Why let Kaw balk at your warranty if they knew you were flogging it.

I never considered that as a possibility.  Of course, it is technologically possible and feasible.  I just seriously doubt they do that.

Just take your time, do what your owner's manual says.  You have nothing to loose by doing it by the book.

My thoughts, exactly.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline scooter

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 07:30:14 PM »
well i dont work for kawasaki so i dont know.but i am a parts manager at a cummins and cat dealership and there ecms can tell you what went on with there engine,if you overheated it, over revved it and how many times you did it . and the horsepower of that engine.so i think if ma kawi wanted to they could find out

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 07:31:20 PM »
I'm guessing the break in period is for the rider not the bike. It was important to get a feel for her. Especially if you're not used to such a powerful bike. My 2011 is the first bike I've owned with this much power on it. So I used the break in period to get a feel for her.

Thank you very saying this!!!!!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2012, 07:41:54 PM »
+1
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline scooter

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2012, 08:53:08 PM »
thanks jeremy for your info.i dont know how this got turned into a break in thread i just wanted to know the horsepower of a stock 2011 concours.its your bike break it in the way you want

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2012, 09:06:01 PM »
thanks jeremy for your info.i dont know how this got turned into a break in thread i just wanted to know the horsepower of a stock 2011 concours.its your bike break it in the way you want
Your second post.  ;)
COG 9250

Son of Pappy

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2012, 11:05:09 PM »
It's Pokeys fault, we had gone all year without motoman being used as a how to guide, so he had to highlight his prefered method :o ;)

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 03:54:48 AM »
...and he runs with scissors.  ;D
COG 9250

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 04:31:20 AM »
Among other things...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 06:14:28 AM »
The thing that worried me was the first oil change, I had the guy that works on my business equipment change the oil and since it was the first change he cut open the side of a gal oil jug and used that for the drained oil , it had a bit of metal on the bottom.
I was  told that deceleration in gear was important, I don't red line it but go up and down and let the motor slow me down not the brake. What ever works for YOU.
I bought a Diesel F 700 dump from the Miami Zoo, the truck only had 18,000 miles on it and it smoked  (very good price everyone must have thought the motor was bad)
Well after a few months of use it stoped smoking ;) I quess the rings finely cleaned up and set ;D
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 07:26:51 AM »
The thing that worried me was the first oil change, I had the guy that works on my business equipment change the oil and since it was the first change he cut open the side of a gal oil jug and used that for the drained oil , it had a bit of metal on the bottom.
I was  told that deceleration in gear was important, I don't red line it but go up and down and let the motor slow me down not the brake. What ever works for YOU.
I bought a Diesel F 700 dump from the Miami Zoo, the truck only had 18,000 miles on it and it smoked  (very good price everyone must have thought the motor was bad)
Well after a few months of use it stoped smoking ;) I quess the rings finely cleaned up and set ;D

Well, that actually reminds me of the old joke about British bikes.  How do you know when to add oil?  When they stop leaking on driveway. 
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 05:52:03 PM »
Hee.....hee.....hee!!!! :stirpot:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 04:12:39 AM »
Well, that actually reminds me of the old joke about British bikes.  How do you know when to add oil?  When they stop leaking on driveway.

>:(
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2012, 04:19:42 AM »
It's a good thing that the Prince of Darkness was British instead of Japanese or we would be well and truly KIPASSed.

Offline booger

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 04:04:37 PM »
I know *I* certainly needed the time.  Even coming off of the ZRX, the bike was just so different- heavier, larger, and yes, more powerful.  It took quite a while before I really started giving it a real twist and it already scared me in 2nd gear.

I never considered that as a possibility.  Of course, it is technologically possible and feasible.  I just seriously doubt they do that.

My thoughts, exactly.

I went from a ZX-10R to my C-14.  My first inclination was how slow (and smooth power band)  the bike was! ;)

Offline Bikeman875

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2012, 06:49:52 PM »
I was wondering about this. When I pick up my bike I have to drive it back 5 1/2 hours on the highway.
You guys dont think that will hurt it right?
2011 C14
2007 Ducati 1098
1996 Honda VFR
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT Auto

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2012, 06:54:30 PM »
I was wondering about this. When I pick up my bike I have to drive it back 5 1/2 hours on the highway.
You guys dont think that will hurt it right?

5 1/2 hours is only about two tanks of fuel, you should be just fine if your seat and handle bars are set up comfortably. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline SANDPSYCHO

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2012, 07:13:57 PM »
It's not how you break in the motor, it's the oil. You have to make sure you use the right type and even more important, the Brand of oil. ::)