Author Topic: C14 Real World Top Speeds  (Read 2810 times)

Offline speedracersworld

• 817-821-0448
    • Speedracersworld
C14 Real World Top Speeds
« on: April 18, 2022, 05:58:33 PM »
What is the Real World Top Speed of the C14 or the fastest anyone has gone on one (in a controlled environment/ non highway ;) Setting)? Any instability issues, wobbles at higher speeds?
There's more to Life than the Mainstream Media or "Reality" TV! Question Everything!

2008 Atomic Silver C-14

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: C14 Real World Top Speeds
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 02:24:01 AM »
165Mph indicated on speedo on a nearly new 2008 model with OEM screen and side bags on.
I reckon that equates to 150+ real speed and she was still accelerating in 5th and hadn't hit the redline yet.
Leave the bags at home and leave her in 5th and 160+ real speed should be easy.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 04:05:17 AM »
The new owner of my bike has had it close to 200mph.  This was clocked and verified.  He was racing a fighter down a runway that was taking off.  I had one of Steve's early flashes on the ECU.  He wasn't on the runway but on a parallel road.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline speedracersworld

• 817-821-0448
    • Speedracersworld
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 12:18:15 PM »
On the way back from MotoGP, my son on his 2018 H2SX & I on my 08 C14 ran up with a Hayabusa & GSXR 1000. I didn't see how fast we were going but the Busa rider said I we were doing 161 & we were side by side. I was having some speed wobbles/ swaying. I had my side bags & a large Givi trunk. The wobble/ swaying was happening when I was alone too. Maybe the bags & trunk causing turbulence. I have the MRA Vario and it was down. Seemed worse when it was raised.
There's more to Life than the Mainstream Media or "Reality" TV! Question Everything!

2008 Atomic Silver C-14

Offline speedracersworld

• 817-821-0448
    • Speedracersworld
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 12:19:18 PM »
The new owner of my bike has had it close to 200mph.  This was clocked and verified.  He was racing a fighter down a runway that was taking off.  I had one of Steve's early flashes on the ECU.  He wasn't on the runway but on a parallel road.

WOW!!

2008 Atomic Silver C-14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 01:11:29 PM »
The bags are supposed to stabilize the bike at speed and keep it planted on the road.  That's why they look they way they do.  It wasn't the bags.  Something else most likely.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline speedracersworld

• 817-821-0448
    • Speedracersworld
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 01:56:23 PM »
The bags are supposed to stabilize the bike at speed and keep it planted on the road.  That's why they look they way they do.  It wasn't the bags.  Something else most likely.

Maybe the Givi Trunk. It's a Maxia 55 so pretty big.

2008 Atomic Silver C-14

Offline Bagger John

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 02:29:32 PM »
Maybe the Givi Trunk. It's a Maxia 55 so pretty big.
I've got V46Ls on both of mine and haven't noticed speed wobbles at (Ludicrous_redacted) MPH.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2022, 02:19:59 AM »
I'd be very surprised if the bags did anything other than add drag to the bike at speed. They are going to limit speed as pushing them through the air is going to add to the already poor aerodynamics of motorcycles. I've never done a sustained high speed run without the bags but suspect it might well make it possible to actually use 6th although I very much doubt whether she'll rev out in 6th even with a flash.
The most common causes of instability at speed are worn tyres or tyre pressure is too low.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2022, 05:11:09 AM »
The design of the bags function as an air foil to put downward force on the bike at speed.  The Kwackers engineers actually stated that early on.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2022, 06:12:32 AM »
This is from SISF's website, it's the fastest I had heard of with documented proof.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline speedracersworld

• 817-821-0448
    • Speedracersworld
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2022, 08:00:10 AM »
The design of the bags function as an air foil to put downward force on the bike at speed.  The Kwackers engineers actually stated that early on.

It's probably the Givi Trunk; it a Maxia 55L so the biggest & could be causing buffetting leading to the wobbles. I'll have to try it without the trunk.

2008 Atomic Silver C-14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2022, 03:12:21 PM »
I'd be very surprised if the bags did anything other than add drag to the bike at speed. They are going to limit speed as pushing them through the air is going to add to the already poor aerodynamics of motorcycles.

Aerodynamics are a complex and strange thing.  It is quite possible that the C14 is *MORE* efficient with the panniers on, at certain speeds.  We peons probably will never know. All we could do is top speed tests with and without and compare.  Even that only supplies one metric and doesn't mean it is the same at normal speeds.

One thing is for sure- I shall not be the one performing said tests :)  Besides, I never remove the panniers.  I need them to store my crap and it is a major advantage of having a Concours.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2022, 04:03:31 PM »
Aerodynamics are a complex and strange thing.  It is quite possible that the C14 is *MORE* efficient with the panniers on, at certain speeds.  We peons probably will never know. All we could do is top speed tests with and without and compare.  Even that only supplies one metric and doesn't mean it is the same at normal speeds.

One thing is for sure- I shall not be the one performing said tests :)  Besides, I never remove the panniers.  I need them to store my crap and it is a major advantage of having a Concours.

I am not an aerodynamics expert. I do have schooling for it, though. I have designed, built, and flown my own rockets that have gone transonic. The bags will provide a bit of downforce. Any downforce includes a drag component. I am sure the bike would be faster without bags. That doesn't mean the bike would be as stable at speed, and ultimately the net gain in stability could translate to more USEABLE speed.

And that is worth exactly $0.02. Which right now would get me enough gas to go 800 feet.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2022, 09:30:54 AM »
 ;) :)

I love tall tales as much as anyone, but I would love to see the verification.

We have to assume this happened on a military base.? You wouldn't even need to be caught doing this.  A rumour of such activity could be enough to end your career.  We also know someone else was involved if this was really "clocked and verified".

If you were caught at much more than 65, you would be treated like a terrorist.  If someone was dumb enough to help you do this, it would end their career too.

I suspect this "new owner" watched Top Gun and hoped no one else has.   

On Monday, I'll ask our Commander what he would do to me if someone was at 125mph on his base.  I'll report back with an answer.

Jim, I've known you for years and you are about as good as it gets.  You wouldn't hurt anyone, for any reason, but this tall tale went into a strange direction when you said, "clocked and verified".

If this happened off base, well then what's the point?  Unless it was a national emergency, these ladies basically putt around in and out of a normal airport.

Offline Gscott

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2022, 05:10:05 AM »
Full Area P, SISF flash cut down stock shield bags on 175 on speedo 164 on GPS 5th gear still pulling but running out of road. Bike is an 09.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2022, 07:30:48 PM »
;) :)
I love tall tales as much as anyone, but I would love to see the verification.

We have to assume this happened on a military base.? You wouldn't even need to be caught doing this.  A rumour of such activity could be enough to end your career.  We also know someone else was involved if this was really "clocked and verified".

If you were caught at much more than 65, you would be treated like a terrorist.  If someone was dumb enough to help you do this, it would end their career too.

I suspect this "new owner" watched Top Gun and hoped no one else has.   

On Monday, I'll ask our Commander what he would do to me if someone was at 125mph on his base.  I'll report back with an answer.

Jim, I've known you for years and you are about as good as it gets.  You wouldn't hurt anyone, for any reason, but this tall tale went into a strange direction when you said, "clocked and verified".

If this happened off base, well then what's the point?  Unless it was a national emergency, these ladies basically putt around in and out of a normal airport.

One, you don't have the clearance and two, he outranks your commander....significantly.  I don't think it was on a 'base' as such as we know them.  That's all I'm going to say about that other than I trust him implicitly and I would not BS you.  The bike is that good, just not for me anymore.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2022, 06:33:39 AM »
I am contemplating running my 08 at the Texas Mile next March. Looking at their latest results I don't see any Concours but a ZX14 did 211 mph in 2019.
I am trying to figure out how to mount a steering damper as the US Mile technical requirements require one for motorcycles over 140 MPH.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2022, 12:10:27 PM »
I've seen 165 on the Speedo. Stock 2012 with the bags on.
If I run the suspension stiff as a rock, it doesn't act up much at speed.
If I run a bit more comfortable (softer) on the damping and "preload" it will typically start wobbling at 120ish on a straight, on a sweeper it start the wobble at 110.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 03:59:50 PM by Jethrobolas »

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2022, 07:49:05 AM »
My 08 is rock steady a 140 with side cases and a top box.  That's as fast as I dare go on the country roads around here.  Looking forward to improving on that next month during a trip to Wyoming.
I never adjust my suspension anymore since my wife quit riding with me. I have it set for what I consider a compromise between comfort and handling.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.