Author Topic: Thoughts about break in on concours  (Read 7067 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Thoughts about break in on concours
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 05:13:48 PM »
You are welcome to do neither.  But claiming it doesn't matter is your (and perhaps many others') opinion, not fact.  Might not even matter much; but Kawasaki put it in there, so they think it matters some.

I didn't claim it doesn't matter to the bike. It doesn't matter to me and that's a fact!

Offline PH14

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 07:08:37 PM »
Wow, basically what I did as well.  No stinkin following the rules break in for me, although it took me about a week.  I also recall I nearly cooked myself in a traffic jam in Asheville, NC.  That was the hottest I've ever seen the bike get.  Course the guy in the GW next to me was dying as well.  We both got off the interstate and had a nice steak meal with beer.

I kept to the manual's recommendation by keeping the RPM under what they said, I guess it was 4,000 until I was past the 500 mile mark, then all bets were off. Still, I was done in a day. Thankfully I didn;t get stuck in traffic and bake like you did, of course the steak and beer sounds nice. Maybe they need to add that to their break in instructions.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 10:41:32 PM »
I didn't claim it doesn't matter to the bike. It doesn't matter to me and that's a fact!

:)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline CADMAN97

• 2010 C14 ABS
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 06:58:01 AM »
I'm pretty sure I took mine past the recommended 4000rpm, but I wasn't taking it to red line either. Prob up to 5-6k a few times then backed off. It's pretty hard to keep it under 4000rpm, the C14 just likes to rev :)
1998 Honda Magna--->Sold | 2003 Yamaha FZ1--->Sold | 2003 Honda VFR800--->Sold | 2010 Honda VFR1200--->Sold | Kawasaki C14--->SOLD | 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000--->Current | 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300ES--->Current

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 08:24:20 AM »
:)

BTW: I agree Kawasaki put it there, they must have a reason. But Kawasaki also says to change your iridium spark plugs every 7500 miles. When I finally did change them at about 29,000 miles they looked fine and the bike was still running fine. I really wonder how many people do it and why they call for only 7500 miles on iridium plugs. In any case, as per my original post, I did try to follow the Kawasaki break in recommendations, I just didn't have the will power.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 09:07:19 AM »
On my new '94 Honda CBR900RR, I was following the stated break-in to the T, and while riding along a remote road watched the ODO slowly approach and then hit the 'off break-in' mileage, aka "you're free! go like the wind!", so I punched from 60 to ~80 and immediately got pulled over.

Offline PH14

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2013, 04:32:41 AM »
On my new '94 Honda CBR900RR, I was following the stated break-in to the T, and while riding along a remote road watched the ODO slowly approach and then hit the 'off break-in' mileage, aka "you're free! go like the wind!", so I punched from 60 to ~80 and immediately got pulled over.

See, Kawasaki had a reason.  :doh:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, 06:00:54 AM »
Hey OP, why don't you give it a shot and in 50,000 miles give us a report? ;D :popcorn:

Offline katata1100

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2013, 10:52:34 AM »
The manual also says something about letting your bike idle for so many seconds after starting before riding during break in.
I do think these motors do need some time to break in.
When i got my bike, i rode it about 500 miles or so the day I bought it. Before I retired for the night in the motel, I filled up the tank and noticed at the station that the bike sounded a lot less clattery than it did when I got it earlier that day, suggesting that the valves settled in.
My dealer was pretty adamant that the oil should be changed at 600 miles (or 500, don't remember), told me that they have seen all kinds of wierd breakin related crap in the oil, so I changed the oil that night, in 33 degree temp.
Another thing to keep in mind is that somewhere between 500 and 1000 miles, those stock tires start to feel pretty crappy!

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2013, 10:11:44 AM »
It seems to me that more likely, in this litigious world we live in, that Kawasaki is looking for riders to become used to the power and handling of this beast of a machine (as a reason for so conservative a break-in period).  So they give you 1,000 miles or so before they tell you it’s OK to “Hit it!”
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 10:25:28 AM »
after 5 years ownership and 50 000 miles, I'm still shocked when I open her up. I know there's power there, but the effect has barely washed out. Grin  ;D
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.