Author Topic: What octane? 2011 C14  (Read 9035 times)

Offline mvjr1904

What octane? 2011 C14
« on: July 12, 2012, 12:23:15 PM »
What fuel octane are you using?

The OM says 90 octane. I use premium, 91. By mistake I topped off my tank (3.25 gallons) with Regular unleaded (87 octane). Bike runs the same with no noticeable lagg. I mainly ride highway miles at approx 75 mph so I will burn thru my tank and refuel with 91 by the end of the week.
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline fmwhit

Re: What octane? 2011 C14
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 12:39:44 PM »
I use 89 octane in my bike with 20k miles on it.  I have used 89 octane since the bike was new. I do not run the bike at its limits, if I was going to do that I might go up to the 91 octane.  There was just a write up in one of the cycle magazines abt this, if I find it I will let you know which magazine it was in.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 01:18:06 PM »
I use the recommended 90+ octane. If I remember correctly (and hopefully more mechanically apt people will respond), this bike does not have a knock sensor. So, with lower octane, detonation may occur thus damaging the engine - in theory. That is why a higher octane is recommended that will burn more controlled.
So, in my limited knowledge, running 87 octane would be ok in a pinch as long as you are not getting on the throttle heavy - redlining, etc.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 01:27:17 PM »
It seems to depend entirely on what tires and oil you are using at the time. For example, if using Michelin PR2's, some people claim you will not live long enough to go through an entire tank of fuel, let alone suffer damage from detonation. If using a fleet diesel oil, again the fuel octane does not seem to matter because the oil will shear down to -0- viscosity so fast there is no risk of engine damage from fuel choice.

I personally use mostly 89 octane as that is what is readily available around here. If it is hot I usually try to use 90 or higher which is almost always 91 octane again in this area. On occasion I have had to use less than 87 octane fuel because I needed the stuff and that is all that was available so rather than wasting time scouring the countryside for octane improvers or trying to look up some tetraethyl lead, I just pumped the stuff in the tank and kept going. Bike is now passing 85K miles and seems fine, although of course it might be on the brink of a verge.

Kawasaki recommends 90 octane minimum so that would seem to be a reasonable level to use- 90 or higher. Octane on the high side cannot harm anything while low octane <may, might, could> allow detonation which is a bad thing if severe enough.

Brian

What fuel octane are you using?

The OM says 90 octane. I use premium, 91. By mistake I topped off my tank (3.25 gallons) with Regular unleaded (87 octane). Bike runs the same with no noticeable lagg. I mainly ride highway miles at approx 75 mph so I will burn thru my tank and refuel with 91 by the end of the week.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 01:31:38 PM »
I use the recommended 90+ octane. If I remember correctly (and hopefully more mechanically apt people will respond), this bike does not have a knock sensor. So, with lower octane, detonation may occur thus damaging the engine - in theory. That is why a higher octane is recommended that will burn more controlled.
So, in my limited knowledge, running 87 octane would be ok in a pinch as long as you are not getting on the throttle heavy - redlining, etc.

I'm no mechanic, but that's what I understand. There is no knock sensor to retard pre-ignition or detonation. High revving high performance engines run hotter under higher stresses and loads. The 90 octane is there to ensure the fuel doesn't spontaneously combust in the cylinder causing damage. This only matters if you continuously rev the engine to the red line. But we don't do that here, right?!  8)
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 01:56:14 PM »

+1 Around my neck of the woods the gas stations have 93 octane. That's what I use. How much of a difference in cost is it to fill your tank with high octane vs low? A dollar at the most, why risk damage for a dollar each fillup? 

YMMV
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 02:04:35 PM »
You might be able to get away with lower octanes assuming you don't get into the high revs.  This bike's compression changes depending on how much you thrash it.  I run 91 or higher depending on what's being offered.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline chap

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 03:31:36 PM »
I have run 87 octane on a few occasions when 91 is not available. I use 91 mostly. Why tempt fate for the small extra cost.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 03:56:37 PM »
I have run 87 octane on a few occasions when 91 is not available. I use 91 mostly. Why tempt fate for the small extra cost.

+1.  I always use the highest octane in the Concours (and my car, which also requires it).  There are good and valid reasons Kawasaki requires the higher octane, and I am not going to argue with their engineers.

Yeah, you can probably get away with using lower octane in MOST circumstances  (lower ambient temps, lower revving, less throttle/load).... but not in ALL circumstances.  And it only takes a few times to potentially cause expensive and lasting damage.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 04:27:29 PM »
It's almost like you could spell octane   O I L . :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 04:38:28 PM »

LOL-  almost!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Locol

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 04:58:12 PM »
It my understanding that you can use lower octane at higher altitudes. I live at 5K ft. and ride at elevations from 5-10K. My dealer told me that he would feel confident using 87-89 octane at this elevation in the C14.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 06:26:38 PM »

Where are those crash test dummies?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 07:56:08 PM »
89 is as low as I will go, typically 91 but will run 93 if I can find it.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 12:14:41 AM »
where I live, you can have fuel from 90 to 97 octane, and it is my highly scientific personal subjectiv feeling that this bike likes higher octanes, specially in summer.
That said, the difference in price between the cheaper and the most expensive stuff is about 15% and the improvement in fuel economy for the higher octane about 10%, so all boils down to 5% difference in fuel expenses.
Moral of the story: I always put the highest octane available wherever I refuel. With my mileage (some 15k / year), I might end up paying 100 bucks more every year, but the engine is happier (he talks to me, I swear  :o) and I stop less for fuel.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 04:07:05 AM »
he ?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 04:52:41 AM »
where I live, you can have fuel from 90 to 97 octane, and it is my highly scientific personal subjectiv feeling that this bike likes higher octanes, specially in summer.
That said, the difference in price between the cheaper and the most expensive stuff is about 15% and the improvement in fuel economy for the higher octane about 10%, so all boils down to 5% difference in fuel expenses.
Moral of the story: I always put the highest octane available wherever I refuel. With my mileage (some 15k / year), I might end up paying 100 bucks more every year, but the engine is happier (he talks to me, I swear  :o) and I stop less for fuel.

Is your bike a Konrad Chuck instead of a Connie?    :P

Better?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 04:58:15 AM »
Did you really mean to say that?  ::)    :rotflmao:   Sure you don't want to reconsider? 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 05:04:05 AM »
Oh, the possibilities here.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 05:07:49 AM »
My thoughts exactly....well, well, well, this doldrum Friday just got more exciting.  Better than an octane discussion.   :thumbs:   Many thanks to both Martin and Conrad.  Yes, yes, I know you spelled Conrad with a K but still.....

Any attempt at 12 year old humor is greatly appreciated here.