Author Topic: Always watch your six...  (Read 3782 times)

Offline Conrad

Always watch your six...
« on: July 12, 2012, 08:41:11 AM »
I was riding in town yesterday on a 4 lane road that had a center turn lane. I wanted to turn left into a gas station up ahead and I noticed a lil old blue haired lady in a HUGE Cadillac on a side street (actually there were two blue hairs in the car), she was waiting to make a left turn and drive in the same direction that I was going (she was on the opposite side of the road from me). I passed by her and then got into the center turn lane (yes, I did use my turn signal). I was about to stop in the turn lane and wait for oncoming traffic to clear so I could make my turn. I had a 'feeling' about the old lady and in my mirrors I was keeping a close eye on what she was doing.  I made my stop as she pulled out in front of one of the cars, prompting the driver to lay on the horn, she decided to use the center turn lane as an acceleration lane. The problem was, that's where I was! She was barreling down on me and I could see that she had no intention of stopping. I nailed it just in time and merged back into the lane on my right. The old lady shot by me still using the center turn lane. I ended up having to turn around so that I could get back to the gas station. If I hadn't been watching behind me, I would have been creamed. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Mister Tee

Re: Always watch your six...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 08:43:14 AM »
Usually, when someone tells me to watch my six, I look down....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 08:54:03 AM »
Usually, when someone tells me to watch my six, I look down....

Six? I heard that it was more like 4:00     ;)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 08:56:58 AM »
Good catch C. Same thing happened to my son a few years ago. He was in the left turn lane at a stoplight, an suv was not slowing down for the cars stopped in the straight lane and swerved into the turn lane. David bailed off the Vstrom just before the driver ran over the bike. Never stopped. 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 09:20:40 AM »
Good catch C. Same thing happened to my son a few years ago. He was in the left turn lane at a stoplight, an suv was not slowing down for the cars stopped in the straight lane and swerved into the turn lane. David bailed off the Vstrom just before the driver ran over the bike. Never stopped.

Wow! Did they ever find the jerk?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 09:37:43 AM »
On my ride yesterday on I64 east bound towards Richmond I had the same thought about Caddys and their drivers.  In fact, any large car type vehicle you can expect to see an older person driving and I always get nervous passing them.  I don't waste any time doing it either.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 10:10:32 AM »
Wow! Did they ever find the jerk?
No. St Louis cops were a half hour getting on scene. Tried to write Dave a ticket for moving the wreck out of traffic. Uninsured motorist ins. covered some of the replacement cost.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 10:30:16 AM »
No. St Louis cops were a half hour getting on scene. Tried to write Dave a ticket for moving the wreck out of traffic. Uninsured motorist ins. covered some of the replacement cost.

So the Barney Fifes wanted David to leave the bike blocking traffic for half an hour?

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 10:34:22 AM »
I bet she's a "cautious, mature" driver whose insurance is lower than yours. >:( I do the same, always looking in my mirrors.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 11:25:58 AM »
So the Barney Fifes wanted David to leave the bike blocking traffic for half an hour?
Yep. Now understand Dave stands 6'5 at about 250, is really really pissed. He gives the cop the regi, license, ins card and his military ID. Tells his buddy to call the Captain on base because he's about to get arrested. The officer decides that Dave did the right thing moving the bike.

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 08:09:29 PM »
I repeat myself, but:
All car drivers are incompetent inattentive negligent morons. No exceptions.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 08:21:21 PM »
I repeat myself, but:
All car drivers are incompetent inattentive negligent morons. No exceptions.

Even if your driving the car?
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 04:50:21 AM »

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 05:12:41 AM »
Even if your driving the car?

I would say yes even if I am driving the car.  And I say that because while I believe riding a bike makes me a bit more attentive while driving the car, I know that I still let my mind wander more when driving the car or truck.  And at times, I know we all have or will do stupid things while driving that could have or could possibly cause damage or bodily injry to our vehicles or ourselves or others.  I am pretty sure that there is no one that can say they haven't or won't.  So that would make us all morons at some point.  Not saying it is like that every time we drive, but on occasion it happens to everybody. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 05:19:43 AM »
I agree mostly with that, but I've found myself using the same techniques I use on the bike while driving a car such as watching which moron is the most likely to pull out of a line of backed up cars in either lane whilst I drive by on a more open line.  I'm more attentive to watching what the driver of the other car is doing such as checking out mirrors in preparation to run into me.

On the minus side, I try to take twisties in my Prius like I would with the bike.  For some reason that never works out.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 05:28:31 AM »
I agree mostly with that, but I've found myself using the same techniques I use on the bike while driving a car such as watching which moron is the most likely to pull out of a line of backed up cars in either lane whilst I drive by on a more open line.  I'm more attentive to watching what the driver of the other car is doing such as checking out mirrors in preparation to run into me.

On the minus side, I try to take twisties in my Prius like I would with the bike.  For some reason that never works out.

Opening the door to get that knee down must be a bit of a challenge?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 05:35:57 AM »
LOL

...but the car tires work really well.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 06:47:47 AM »
That they do... ;D