Author Topic: Removing cats?  (Read 22553 times)

Offline Rowlander

Removing cats?
« on: May 24, 2011, 04:19:11 AM »
Has anyone tried removing the cats from the stock system? If so, would it be recommended? Already have the pcv, flies out and air filter, but I'm thinking popping those suckers out of there would open her up a bit...

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
Re: Removing cats?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 05:48:29 AM »
What type of cat? Long haired cats are the worse to get out as the fur keeps getting caught on stuff.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 06:30:24 AM »
Yes, one or two members did a long time ago. At least one had his bike dyno'd before and after and there was no appreciable change in power. I think the bottom end came up one horsepower but that was more likely due to a different dyno run than the change in the exhaust.

The cats do not restrict much at all, and they do not seem to make enough heat to bother with either.

Removing them is difficult because they are harder than steel tools. The best way to remove them is to cut the pipes off in front and behind the cat. converters and then weld a length of pipe back in place. A lot of work for very little or no gain IMO.

Removing the cats also increases air pollution. I am not a super- environmentalist or tree hugger or anything similar but on the other hand, why make more of a mess than you have to? We get to ride as much bike with as much Hp as we choose, or can afford, why go out of our way to make them run [less clean] than they have to? Catalytic converters really do burn a lot of hydrocarbons that would otherwise make it into the atmosphere and do it at very little cost (power, heat, initial expense, etc.). I guess I think of it like changing your motor oil; nothing wrong with changing the oil but you don't have to pour the old stuff in the gutter either.... it is just as easy to pour it into a container and have it recycled. OK, end of sermon.  :D

Brian

Has anyone tried removing the cats from the stock system? If so, would it be recommended? Already have the pcv, flies out and air filter, but I'm thinking popping those suckers out of there would open her up a bit...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 06:35:42 AM »

I guess I think of it like changing your motor oil; nothing wrong with changing the oil but you don't have to pour the old stuff in the gutter either.... it is just as easy to pour it into a container and have it recycled. OK, end of sermon.  :D

Brian
I've found thinning with diesel, adding a little dish soap and mixing well makes a great weed killer.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 07:57:53 AM »
Jammin Jere did it, his response was a lowering of felt heat.  What I would do (did) is go the full AreaP route, get a Auto Tune to help ease those pesky tree hugging posters ( ;)), and realize a bunch more motor.  Like Brian said, a whole lotta work for little return.  I do understand the frugal image we must maintain, so to soften the blow, strip a piece of pipe insulation off and use them as grip puppies ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 09:11:05 AM »
Dogs?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gflint

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 09:57:33 AM »
Mine are out.  The pipe had to be cut in front and behind the cat, then a large hammer and chisel was employed.  I could not detect any performance gain but the engine temp seems to be lower in stop and go traffic.  It was an experiment more than anything.  I wanted to lower the heat and figured this would be an easy step.  I have a friend with a muffler shop so it did not cost me anything.  If I had the money the Area-P is a better solution.
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 02:39:21 PM »
If I had the money the Area-P is a better solution.

Good advice.
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »
Of course your bike will stink pretty bad once you remove the cats as well.

Offline fc1reed

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 07:04:33 PM »
I just posted with pics in the mod section. I cut the pipe at the weld, wasn't too difficult. I took a long drill bit with a hammer drill then finished it with a chisel and hammer. I was lucky when I took it to an exhaust shop, the guy welded it back and didn't charge me for it.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 08:41:32 PM »
Meow.....

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 10:09:10 PM »
Here kitty kitty kitty...

Offline robbie

• Tampabay, FL
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 05:32:34 AM »
I have thought about doing mine many times. I want to do it for the reduced heat not for the power. I think if I decide to do it I will just take it to a muffler shop and have them cut them out and weld in a piece of pipe.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2003 Goldwing, 2002 Goldwing, 2015 F-150, 2018 JK Wrangler, 2002 TJ Wrangler

Offline gflint

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 08:40:41 AM »
Most muffler shops will not do this operation.  I think it is technically illegal for a shop to perform this operation.  They can weld it back together after the fact.
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline robbie

• Tampabay, FL
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 01:57:49 PM »
Most muffler shops will not do this operation.  I think it is technically illegal for a shop to perform this operation.  They can weld it back together after the fact.

I think but I am not positive that it is only illegal to remove an emissions device on a vehicle that is required to have it. Since bikes are not required to have them I don't think it is an issue.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2003 Goldwing, 2002 Goldwing, 2015 F-150, 2018 JK Wrangler, 2002 TJ Wrangler

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 02:07:04 PM »
I think but I am not positive that it is only illegal to remove an emissions device on a vehicle that is required to have it. Since bikes are not required to have them I don't think it is an issue.

I can't say if bikes are required to have them or not. but you can't remove them if they are on there. I believe its mentioned in the owners manual.
I'm sure in states that have inspection and check the exhaust emissions the bike would not pass. I'm SC so no inspections for bikes or cars!

Offline dw4402

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 10:03:12 AM »
I performed a similar update to my bike. I got a ZX14 exhaust and gutted the cats out of the header but left them in the two cans. I got a decent HP increase after having it dynoed but I think that had more to do with the full system change than the cat removal. I can say that I experience a lot less heat coming from the engine bay now, especially on my lower legs. Before I couldn't ride with shorts (not that I do anyway  ;)) and now I can. It is still warm but before the heat that poured out of the right side was unbearable on bare legs. If you do it for the heat reduction it's worth it but if you're looking for power gains, go with an aftermarket system or a ZX14 system.
David K. Williams
08 C14

Offline jsd

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 07:12:41 AM »
I removed mine over the winter after finding out they heat up to around 900 degrees. There does not appear to be any performance or sound difference. My right foot is very pleased with the lower air temperature though; I did add the plastic/rubber heat deflectors for the newer models so I am unsure which mod actually accomplished this.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 10:24:06 AM »
I removed mine over the winter after finding out they heat up to around 900 degrees. There does not appear to be any performance or sound difference. My right foot is very pleased with the lower air temperature though; I did add the plastic/rubber heat deflectors for the newer models so I am unsure which mod actually accomplished this.

I suspect the heat deflectors, as I have never experienced any objectionable heat from my 2010.  I've never ridden a 2009 or earlier though so I can't compare.

Offline JamminJere

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 05:53:17 PM »
Of course your bike will stink pretty bad once you remove the cats as well.

So what are you saying?   My right guard is failing?   :)

Yeah I noticed a little difference in heat, not really anything in performance... And a big difference in the guys behind me bitching my bike stinks of unburnt fuel...maybe partially due to my map on my PCIII.

That is the price you pay sometimes being the guinea pig, no one else had cut the stock pipe in half and got them outa there to tell me it wasn't really worth the effort...

Leave yours in.... And save up for Kerry's AreaP Masterpiece..

You have to be pretty close behind me for the smell to be that bad.... Cablebandit is one of the few that can stay tucked in behind me on a good day. :)

JJ
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 06:31:32 PM by JamminJere »
There really isn't much different between the masses... and them asses..