Author Topic: Removing cats?  (Read 22558 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Removing cats?
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2012, 12:01:17 PM »
I have a wooden bike with tires made from hemp. It doesn't roll all that well but I can sure light them tires up!

Nice!  As long as it has KiPass  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2012, 12:03:54 PM »
I have a wooden bike with tires made from hemp. It doesn't roll all that well but I can sure light them tires up!
And you used all natural materials in the construction, including hemp twine to bind it all together, right?  I wondered why you tire wear was so much!!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2012, 12:12:18 PM »
And you used all natural materials in the construction, including hemp twine to bind it all together, right?  I wondered why you tire wear was so much!!

Of course! I've had some practice using that twine in a previous life.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2012, 12:16:41 PM »
What kind of wood is that bike made of?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2012, 12:18:07 PM »
Amboyna Burl perhaps?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2012, 12:28:33 PM »
Cat material is toxic I think.  I wouldn't want to breathe it in.

You got that right.  I've seen some nasty **** in litter boxes.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2012, 12:31:23 PM »
What kind of wood is that bike made of?

Amboyna Burl perhaps?

But of course! Only the finest woods are used in my projects. I love wood and use it whenever I can, in fact just this morning...

Woke Up With Wood - ZZ Top

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2012, 04:20:32 PM »
And some care more than others, even among those who do care. I think eventually, those that are left will all care- it will be a self- fulfilling prophecy.  ;)

I do not think the small number of people who will remove the cats from factory headers will amount to anything regarding pollution really but the sentiment is correct.... why make a mess if you do not have to? I do not have an axe to grind in this debate but there really is no benefit to be gained by removing the cats alone; someone posted results on the old forum and as I remember, the bike picked up 1 Hp after removing the catalytic converters (with no other changes). That amount in inconsequential and easily falls under the amount a dynamometer would report with nothing more than a slight change in the weather (even compensated readings).

Brian

Some folks care about their 'footprint' on the land/air/water and some don't. I for one do care.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2012, 04:41:59 PM »
I dont think a person can ride a 1400cc, 150 hp, 700 lb motorcycle and claim "environmentally friendly."  Moped, Prius...sure.  Bicycle, light rail....friendly.   Staying home an going nowhere is friendly.    Cats on an massive bike is like putting Christina Ricci's face on Rosanne Barrs body.

Every time I hear a comment like that, I turn an extra light on in my basement..and leave it on forever.   

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2012, 04:53:25 PM »
40 (or thereabouts) mpg is still better than 99% or more of the vehicles on the road.  Sure a Prius or scooter can do better but then again they aren't nearly as fun.  I enjoy riding my bike to work nearly every day and my wife enjoys the fact that I only spend about $20 a week on fuel compared to $80 if I drive my Expedition that only does around 10 mpg around town.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2012, 05:25:45 PM »
What type of cat? Long haired cats are the worse to get out as the fur keeps getting caught on stuff.

I should take mine out - it's costing a fortune to feed the things  - and the litter box.....whew ! :o
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2012, 06:27:03 PM »

Son of Pappy

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2012, 06:43:31 PM »
If a cat aint a mouser it aint worth having ;)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2012, 09:29:09 PM »
Fantastic- if you put my name on it, I hope it is at least a 500 watt halogen and not a wussy 60 watt'r.

Not really sure what your point is but if you are trying to teach someone a lesson (me? the gov't? your offspring?) then I suggest you pump an extra gallon of gasoline on the ground every time you fill the bike up too. That'll show <them? us?>.

Personally I see no point in trying to make any bigger of a mess than anyone has to. By all means, make all the horsepower you want but removing proven pollution controls, at some effort and for no gain, makes little sense to me. And you cannot possibly make enough of an environmental impact on this planet to affect my life in any way, even if you burn your house down to teach me a lesson.

Best of luck to you in your quest for less efficiency without any other gain.

Brian

I dont think a person can ride a 1400cc, 150 hp, 700 lb motorcycle and claim "environmentally friendly."  Moped, Prius...sure.  Bicycle, light rail....friendly.   Staying home an going nowhere is friendly.    Cats on an massive bike is like putting Christina Ricci's face on Rosanne Barrs body.

Every time I hear a comment like that, I turn an extra light on in my basement..and leave it on forever.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2012, 04:52:58 AM »

I'm not following your logic, perhaps there's a reason for that?  ::)

Sure Connie is a big powerful girl but she doesn't smoke and sips fuel, compared to some other means of transport out there.

Tell you what, just get it over with and turn on all your damn lights and leave em on all the time. That'll teach me a lesson I won't soon forget.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2012, 04:59:28 AM »
Who's Christina Ricci and why would anybody give Rosanne face?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2012, 05:10:21 AM »
Who's Christina Ricci and why would anybody give Rosanne face?

:rotflmao:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2012, 05:18:15 AM »
Christina Ricci - Craig Ferguson 14-03-2009

I hope this is decent.  It's Christina having an interview.  She was pulling up her top some though.  Let me know if it's not decent and I'll pull it down......the video, not her top.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2012, 08:06:18 AM »
From the sounds of things, we could all remove the cats from our c14's and not do the environmental damage a gas powered leaf blower does.  I saw a story about them and dont think its a joke.  http://www.nonoise.org/quietnet/cqs/leafblow.htm

As a side note, I do maintenance on refrigeration systems.  After 20 years it still amazes me to see what comes out of air cooled condensers when they get cleaned.   There is a lot of dirt, but lots of other things I cannot identify.

I would love to have mine out of there for heat reduction.  Maybe the sensible thing to do is find some sort of a heat shield instead?