Author Topic: Comparitive oil analysis  (Read 9255 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Comparitive oil analysis
« on: July 05, 2012, 01:12:56 PM »
Seems very strange - only difference was oil and area of country ridden.
The first column is the recent Motul 15w50 Esther Synth. V300 the May results are with Shell Rotella T6 5W40. I have pulled the air filter and see no evidence of a leak and it was seated very snug. The outside of th filter is dirty but the inside looks brand new. It is a K&N with a lot of miles. Guessing  25 or 30 k. I will add pictures later. Internet is down at home I am using a hotspot to post.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 05:21:29 PM by lather »
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Comparitive oil analysis
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 05:34:58 PM »
It is interesting. One thing I noted was that the Motul also sheared down to below the min. specified viscosity for that particular oil and a similar amount that the Rotella did also. Another thing is that both levels of Phosphorus and Zinc are down quite a bit compared with the Rotella but the Molybdenum level is up; that seems to indicate to me that Rotella uses ZDDP as the majority of its contact lube while Motul uses a greater portion of Moly. Not that any of that really means anything. The two things I would expect to see that really indicate wear are aluminum and iron as those are the predominant elements of the wearing parts of the engine- both are higher with the Motul than the Rotella. Given the difference in price between the two oils it certainly does seem that the Rotella is the better value even if it is not the absolute best oil (and I do not have an opinion on that either way).

Just as an aside- I went over to Delvac 15W-40 on the last oil change I did on the west coast from the usual Rotella 15W-40. The Delvac is still showing very good shifting qualities as I approach 4K miles on that batch of oil. I usually cut those viscosity oils with a quart of 10W-40 and add a touch of ZDDP but the straight Delvac is performing at least as well as straight Rotella 15W-40 has in the past (based on the quality, smoothness and ease of shifting). And Delvac is a bit cheaper too so after several thousand oil changes the money should start to really pile up....

Brian

Seems very strange - only difference was oil and area of country ridden.
The first column is the recent Motul 15w50 Esther Synth. V300 the May results are with Shell Rotella T6 5W40. I have pulled the air filter and see no evidence of a leak and it was seated very snug. The outside of th filter is dirty but the inside looks brand new. It is a K&N with a lot of miles. Guessing  25 or 30 k. I will add pictures later. Internet is down at home I am using a hotspot to post.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 06:33:54 PM »
It is interesting. One thing I noted was that the Motul also sheared down to below the min. specified viscosity for that particular oil and a similar amount that the Rotella did also. Another thing is that both levels of Phosphorus and Zinc are down quite a bit compared with the Rotella but the Molybdenum level is up; that seems to indicate to me that Rotella uses ZDDP as the majority of its contact lube while Motul uses a greater portion of Moly. Not that any of that really means anything. The two things I would expect to see that really indicate wear are aluminum and iron as those are the predominant elements of the wearing parts of the engine- both are higher with the Motul than the Rotella. Given the difference in price between the two oils it certainly does seem that the Rotella is the better value even if it is not the absolute best oil (and I do not have an opinion on that either way).

Just as an aside- I went over to Delvac 15W-40 on the last oil change I did on the west coast from the usual Rotella 15W-40. The Delvac is still showing very good shifting qualities as I approach 4K miles on that batch of oil. I usually cut those viscosity oils with a quart of 10W-40 and add a touch of ZDDP but the straight Delvac is performing at least as well as straight Rotella 15W-40 has in the past (based on the quality, smoothness and ease of shifting). And Delvac is a bit cheaper too so after several thousand oil changes the money should start to really pile up....

Brian

Is this what you use?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-Delvac-15W-40-Heavy-Duty-Diesel-Oil-1gal/17034368

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 07:11:25 AM »
Katata1100 will not be pleased with those results! :rotflmao:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 12:12:32 PM »
I am more concerned about the silicon than the increased wear. However I won't be spending my money on premum motorcycle oil.

I cleaned and re-oiled my K&N air filter. While re-installing the fliter I thought about how the filter cover seals out air - with some open cell foam that gets compressed when you tighten the cover bolts. My K&N was pretty dirty after 30,000 miles (K&N seems to me a little indefinite on how long to go between cleaning) But I am wondering digitally if a clogged filter would allow dirty air to get sucked in through the cover.

Blackstones's suggestion about the high silicone was that there might be an air filtration system leak. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Anyway I covered all the potential seam of thge filter cover with electricians tape and I am considering returning to the OEM filter.

Note: I amat the library again checking mail. Home Internet still down but hopefully restored Tuesday. Won't be able to get online again before then.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 12:17:57 PM »
Every time I pull my K&N to clean and oil it I run a bead of grease down three sides (I leave the outside edge alone since it has the foam).  Not sure if that is enough to keep dirt and debris from bypassing the filter but I'm fairly sure it can't hurt anything.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 01:20:12 PM »
Put the OEM filter back in. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 11:15:32 AM »
Every time I pull my K&N to clean and oil it I run a bead of grease down three sides (I leave the outside edge alone since it has the foam).  Not sure if that is enough to keep dirt and debris from bypassing the filter but I'm fairly sure it can't hurt anything.
I think my K&N came with some grease and instructions. I don't have the instructions anymore but I found a FAQ that says the grease helps seal the filter and to use lithium or synthetic grease because petro grease will deteriorate the rubber.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 02:48:39 PM »
Yep I use red lithium grease.  No oil analysis yet to see if I have high levels of silicon but I see no reason why dirt would be bypassing the filter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 05:48:07 PM »
Yep I use red lithium grease.  No oil analysis yet to see if I have high levels of silicon but I see no reason why dirt would be bypassing the filter.

Implants?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 06:01:58 PM »
Implants?

That would be silicone

Like this:

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 06:17:20 PM »
^^^^^^^^Could very well be saline, or quite possibly Rotella? ^^^^^^^
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 06:20:50 PM »
More like vitamin double G.   ;D

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 06:56:24 PM »
More like vitamin double G.   ;D

Wonder what her stripper name is?  :popcorn:
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 07:01:30 PM »
Bubbles?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 07:22:38 PM »
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 04:15:16 AM »
That would be silicone

Like this:

Details, details......  I need to get one of those context spell checkers...   :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 07:08:32 AM »
Details, details......  I need to get one of those context spell checkers...   :rotflmao:

Kinda like

"they're spectacular"

and

"their spectacular"

But I think both statements actually apply in this case since I am sure that all three of them have a great "personality".   ;D

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 10:15:24 AM »
I am sure she has a name for each of them too. ;) Oil threads tend to get off topic......love it.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"