Author Topic: Made my own tinted shorty C14 windshield.  (Read 16283 times)

Offline Bikeman875

Made my own tinted shorty C14 windshield.
« on: June 27, 2012, 12:32:18 PM »
Havent dont the tint yet but thats next , should be interesting how it rides with this .
2011 C14
2007 Ducati 1098
1996 Honda VFR
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT Auto

Offline vortex2

Re: Made my own tinted shorty C14 windshield.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 12:39:46 PM »
It looks like perhaps an inch shorter than I cut mine. I guess it depends on how tall you are.
At 6', mine lets full airflow at the lowest position, and all the way up it does deflect a significant
amount of wind. I think it is a great hot weather mod. Not so great in the rain, though.

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 12:45:04 PM »
I definitely like the look of the short style wind screen! Once you get that thing tinted, it'll definitely look bad ass. Just curious though, why do you think it'll be interesting to see how the bike rides with that type of screen? Would the wind screen affect how the bike handles or anything? Or do you mean it'll be interesting to see how much wind it actually blocks being that short? I suppose the wind screen would affect the aerodynamics in some form or fashion, I just wouldn't assume it'd be enough to be noticeable. Forgive my ignorance, I don't have a Connie so I'm not sure how much add-ons like this affect the bike or how it handles.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Bikeman875

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 03:27:52 PM »
Well being a shorter guy I was getting allot of wind noise from the stock shield more than any other bike I have ridden. I took it off and drove around with nothing to see how that felt, it does ride a bit different at highway speeds but a better description is how it sounds with the short shield and it sounds more like all of the other bikes I have now. I'm going to get one of the huge shields for rainy days and when it gets cool in the fall here in NE. I love the wind on me in this hot weather we are into now and thats what I am used to. I will have to ride for a while with it on to see what effects it has, and what windy days will do to it, just put it on today. Defiantly like the look of it, reminds me of the bat bike. Will post pictures of the tint when done I got some to put on today.
2011 C14
2007 Ducati 1098
1996 Honda VFR

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 04:56:20 PM »
Havent dont the tint yet but thats next , should be interesting how it rides with this .

Looks good!  (Although PLEASE scale your pictures to something sane before posting so they don't take minutes to load!  I have yet to figure out why this board accepts 10MP images).

I might need to have something like this for summer riding... the stock windshield is just too much protection!  HOT!!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 05:11:37 PM »
I cut mine down and love it, great for the summer. I couldn't figure out a good way to tint it though.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 05:24:35 PM »
I cut mine down and love it, great for the summer. I couldn't figure out a good way to tint it though.

Perhaps you could use a DIY tint kit? I know there are tons of places out there that sell pre-cut tint kits. Perhaps you can find something that would work for a small wind screen from www.tintkits.com.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Bikeman875

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 05:40:45 PM »
I just got some basic tint from the parts store to try if that does not work I have a few other ideas.
2011 C14
2007 Ducati 1098
1996 Honda VFR

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 06:04:29 PM »
I cut down my 2010+ shock screen 3.75" and did the spray tint method.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Bikeman875

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 06:15:09 PM »
That looks great, like it.
2011 C14
2007 Ducati 1098
1996 Honda VFR

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 07:00:46 PM »
I cut down my 2010+ shock screen 3.75" and did the spray tint method.

[UG!!  Resize your pics before upload, people!!! ]

Oh yes, I do think I like that.  Not sure what a spray tint method is, though.  What it is?  Is it durable?  What's with the interesting shape cut into the middle of the shield?  Just more air through?  Why did you pick that shape?  Do you get bug splattered to death?  Why 3.75" lower and not some other number?  Did you buy some other shield as your main (non-summer) shield?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 07:06:27 PM »
Took a little over 4 inches off of mine IIRC.  Used tailight tint spray and it is ready for refinishing after a year and a half of use (I use it from May-September).

Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 07:11:35 PM »
I finally got around to cutting down my stock 08 windshield.  The first 2" cut really didn't help, but the 2nd 2" cut, bringing it to 4" total, made the windshield much better.  Now, I'm in clean air, and only get buffeting with the shield all the way up.  I matched the stock curve of the windshield, rather than going with the rounded/curved  style.  Pic attached.  I'm not planning on tinting the w/s at this time.  I may radius the corners a bit more, but may just leave it as is for a while.

I also have an OEM tall w/s for the cooler months.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 07:33:44 PM »
Not sure what a spray tint method is, though.  What it is?  Is it durable? 

I did some spray tint, some more info on this thread link attached...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=5296.msg68662#msg68662

Looks good BM!  8)

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 03:44:10 AM »
Oh yes, I do think I like that.  Not sure what a spray tint method is, though.  What it is?
VHT Night Shades (to the back side of the shield)
Is it durable?
Yes, but you can re-apply as needed.
What's with the interesting shape cut into the middle of the shield?
That's the Cal Sci cut out. Only a little larger.
Just more air through?
Yes, as I was still getting some back pressued at ... well .... above highway speeds.   ;D
Why did you pick that shape?
For the same reason Cal Sci did. I don't remember the correct name for it, but the design was developed long ago by scientific testing.
Do you get bug splattered to death?
No.
Why 3.75" lower and not some other number? 
That made it just a little shorter than the 08-09 factory shield. I think it's an inch lower.
Did you buy some other shield as your main (non-summer) shield?
Yes, a V-Stream.
The Pope

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline chipmaker

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 05:38:46 AM »
At that size couldn't you just paint it black on the inside??
2012 Ram Express
2012 C-14
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 06:03:23 AM »
At that size couldn't you just paint it black on the inside??

That is what I am gonna do when my VHT niteshades coating annoys me enough.  It is chipping around the mounting brackets.  I might even have the whole thing painted and clearcoated to make clean up even faster.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 03:05:05 PM »
For the same reason Cal Sci did. I don't remember the correct name for it, but the design was developed long ago by scientific testing.

How did you cut that shape?  With a router???

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 03:12:24 PM »
How did you cut that shape?  With a router???

I was wondering the same thing. How do you guys cut those wind shields down like that? Tape and a dremel or what? Me thinks you'd need a steady hand for that so there must be another way to get such clean lines...

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 03:25:39 PM »
Tape and mark off the cut lines. For the outside edges,  I just use a jigsaw. For the hole, I first drilled a hole in the waste area, then used the jigsaw. After cutting,  I went back with a dremel with a sanding drum to clean it up a little.

That's basically it as far as cutting it. Just take your time. It's also a good idea to have the shield off of the bike and clamped down to the work bench. With the shield properly protected of course.
The Pope