Author Topic: Bike shelters???  (Read 4455 times)

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
Bike shelters???
« on: June 25, 2012, 06:27:27 AM »
I'm looking for a clamshell type shelter for my ride and am looking for recommendations. I just bought a house with no garage (for now) but it does have a carport. It looks like connie will be spending it's first winter outside and I want to keep it protected as much as possible until I find a better solution. I found an ad for Speed-Way in the back of a bike-rag but could use other input including $$. Thanks.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Bike shelters???
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 01:33:26 PM »
Where are you located? The shelter provided by a carport and a full size cover will protect the bike fairly well.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 06:31:10 AM »
I'm in Sussex County, NJ. I'll probably use a cover for now. My plan is to put a double door for access to the basement but if I can't make that happen before winter I'll be looking at something a little more than a cover. The carport extends up 2 levels to the roof, so it will be exposed to snow drifts, ice, etc. I prefer to keep it inside through the winter so I can service, farkle, etc. Keeps cabin fever minimal.
Off topic but I haven't ridden in about 2 months and I have serious withdrawal. I can't wait 'till I'm settled so I can ride.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 07:46:45 AM »
I almost got a Cycleshell before I moved to a house with a garage.  I liked it for snow possibilities because of the arch construction vs. flat panel sections on the roof.  I think they still sell for about $325 plus shipping.  My bike lived outside under a Walmart cover for 3 years with no i'll effects.  I did buy a new cover each fall for $20 though.  If freezing rain was expected I'd just take it off before it started or it would tear the cover.  Also, wax your windshield or at least keep it very clean.  Covers tend to scuff it from the constant movement from wind.  The main thing a cover does is to keep sun off of it when not being used.  Thats the worst enemy.  It you have a leather seat, bring it inside though before you store it for the winter.

Is there anyway you can build a small lean to type roof just above your bike then just use a cover?  You can make a real cheap one by screwing a 2x4 to the house and then screw hooks into the 2x4 to attach a cheap tarp by its grommets.  Only costs $20 to $30.  Paint it if you want to or use Trex.  We use this method as a cheap sun awning on our lower back patio.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 02:34:06 PM »
Put a tshirt over your windshield to protect it from your cover.  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 03:25:16 AM »
Great question.  Thanks for posting it. I am in the same predicament right now.  Bought a new house with no garage.  I plan on adding one but because of teh position of the house I will ultimately be adding a 2 story addition with the garage in teh bottom portion and more living space above.  Might take some time.  I have been looking at the clamshell type shelters as well.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 07:11:07 AM »
http://www.thebikebarn.net/

Mine lasted for years and years.
The frame never rusted but eventually the nylon disintegrated.
Lasted at least 15 years and if I didn't now have a garage, I'd buy another one.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 09:27:07 AM »
Thanks for the responses fellows. Those shelters are desirable but after checking prices (around $400.) I think I can build a shelter out of wood for less. After blowing my wad on a home, economic solutions (cheap & effective) prevail. Glad I own a Concours.   :D

Offline TJ

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 11:32:41 AM »
Go to Costco and buy one of their 10x20 tan car ports. They will easily last 6 years and cost about $200.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 02:12:12 PM »
7/16" 4 x 8 sheets of OSB are about $10 @ Lowes, some hinges, screws and a couple 2 x 4 studs, will add in another $20, hell, you can protect it from the elements, AND preditors for under $100.....and if you go to the paint section, and find an "oops" gallon of odd stain, for $5 more you can make a masterpiece.... 8) ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 06:31:30 AM »
MOB, that was the idea I settled on before time became and issue. I ended up taking a trip to Tractor Supply and got a "Shed-in-a-box" for $200. 10'x10' footprint and fits snugly inside the carport. Less that 2 hrs to erect and I got a chance to pick up my ride and bring it home tuesday nite. It was the first time in 2 months that I rode. Was planning on taking a nice long ride on the 4th but I messed my knee up real good so I'm screwed for a while. At least I got it home.

Offline okxd45

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 11:19:17 AM »
MOB, that was the idea I settled on before time became and issue. I ended up taking a trip to Tractor Supply and got a "Shed-in-a-box" for $200. 10'x10' footprint and fits snugly inside the carport. Less that 2 hrs to erect and I got a chance to pick up my ride and bring it home tuesday nite. It was the first time in 2 months that I rode. Was planning on taking a nice long ride on the 4th but I messed my knee up real good so I'm screwed for a while. At least I got it home.

I'm very happy with my cycleshell but when it wears out, wouldn't mind another option. Can you post a pic when you get the chance? :)
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 11:59:23 AM »

Offline okxd45

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 11:10:55 AM »
That is really perfect! If buying a new cover for the cycleshell is much more than $200, I'm game. 
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 05:06:20 PM »
pics attached