Author Topic: Setting the bead on a new tire  (Read 6098 times)

Offline c1obrien

Setting the bead on a new tire
« on: June 16, 2012, 08:18:47 AM »
Yesterday I mounted a new rear PR3 tire on my 09’ Connie and replaced rear brake shoes for the first time. I dug around on this forum for info and watched YouTube videos on every aspect of the job. For the most part it went better than expected, but I was surprised by the one place I ran into trouble.

Since I don’t (yet) own an air compressor, my plan was to rely in the gas station to provide air for the new tire. I couldn’t get the bead to set; the air just kept escaping through the sides of the tire. I ended up taking it to a local Cycle Gear, and they had the bead set and air in the tire in about 10 minutes for free.

There isn’t enough info out there on setting the bead on a new tire, which is a pretty tough job without a high-volume air compressor. I didn’t try it, but folks told me I could have done it with a ratchet strap snugged around the tire to blow the sides out. Does that work?

I have about 2,000 miles left on my front PR3, so I will be doing this again in a couple of months. Any suggestions on setting the bead without an air compressor? (Besides, of course, buying a darned compressor!)

Offline JeffM

Re: Setting the bead on a new tire
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 10:41:13 AM »
If anything happens, it wasn't me that showed you this...

Setting the bead of a tire using FIRE !! (starting fluid)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 12:20:34 PM »
Buy a good air compressor.  If you are doing your own work you'll never regret it.  I'm using mine now to replace valve seals (on head) on my 91 Dakota.  I think I've had a compressor for over 20 years.  It's something every shade tree mechanic should own.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline BanditDude

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 12:55:10 PM »
The ratchet strap trick will help.  However, you'll still need a decent air supply to get the job done.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 01:49:54 PM »
+1 on a good air compressor!  They come in handy for other things too... blowing out sprinkler systems when winter hits.  ::)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline c1obrien

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 03:47:42 PM »
Jeff,

Not going to do it, but got a real charge out of the video. Thanks!

Offline Shoe

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 04:13:13 PM »
I find that it helps to remove the core from the valve stem ( you probably removed it to get all of the air out in order to break the bead ). That way the air goes in the tire faster. Sometimes you have to wait because on the big tites like the ones on the rear of the Concours 14 or a GoldWing for instance it requires higher air pressure to seat the bead. The tire may appear to be on the rim but until you hear the pops its not done. Try finding a friend who has done this before and watch how it is done. The next time it will be easier.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline Shoe

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 04:21:57 PM »
I don't recommend using and oil lubricated compressor. They are good for tools but not for tire patches.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 05:48:07 PM »
What I do is bounce the tire on the ground several times all around the circumference. You  should not need a lot of PSI. All recommendations I have seen is never use more than 60 psi for safety reasons. Most of my tires seat at less than 40 psi.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 05:54:27 PM »
That is what I do in addition to putting a little tire lube all the way around both beads after the tire is mounted. I have to fill mine with the stem in the valve because my tire valve will not put any air into a tire without something to depress the plunger of the valve. Just hold the tire valve solidly on the tire stem and bounce the tire gently on the floor has always worked for me.

Brian

What I do is bounce the tire on the ground several times all around the circumference. You  should not need a lot of PSI. All recommendations I have seen is never use more than 60 psi for safety reasons. Most of my tires seat at less than 40 psi.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 06:05:38 PM »
I don't recommend using and oil lubricated compressor. They are good for tools but not for tire patches.

Can you elaborate on that one....?  'not for tire patches'?  Not sure I understand.  My compressor doesn't use oil that I'm aware of.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline r2t2

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 06:39:53 PM »
The secret is to make sure that you get enough ether inside the tire. You want the controlled explosion to take place inside the tire... Oh and the real reason for elevating the tire/wheel off of the ground. If it's sitting on the ground the tire/wheel will jump... Some more than others...  :stirpot:
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 10:59:51 PM »
Just did my front tire today. A little tire lube inside the bead hold it vertical  and start putting air in it. You need a compressor with a reservoir. The pay air at gas stations these days are not much more then a portable inflator. Can't imagine doing my own tires without a compressor.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 12:05:35 AM »
Gotta bad backhoe tire on a non running hoe and it has a flat, makes it too hard to pull with the mini excavator, I think I'll give the starting fluid a try, ratchet straps work, but dern, them tires take alot of force to get the bead even close.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 05:54:05 AM »
Stand off to the side. I blew a steel valve useing ether on my tractor. I think it hit the neighbors house.

Offline Fretka

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 10:50:31 AM »
I thought I had heard most everything but ether in the tire is a new one on me! I would think about how you would explain what happened to the emergency room nurse before you try anything new like that!
Don't think I'm going to try this on my BST carbon wheels!  :o
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline r2t2

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 03:21:55 PM »
I thought I had heard most everything but ether in the tire is a new one on me! I would think about how you would explain what happened to the emergency room nurse before you try anything new like that!
Don't think I'm going to try this on my BST carbon wheels!  :o

It's also good for eliminating wasp nests in the eves... Just have a hose handy...  :rotflmao:
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline Fretka

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 09:35:45 PM »
Now using L.P.G. on gophers sounds more like sporting fun to me! (bit hard on the gophers tho)
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 01:47:42 PM »
I ran into the same problem. The guy at the local shell station worked on it until he got the tired aired up. Cost me a bottle of sodie! I think he took it as a challenge. I seriously need to invest in a air compressor. Does the compressors with electric motor any good? Have not done much research on them.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 03:14:44 PM »
I ran into the same problem. The guy at the local shell station worked on it until he got the tired aired up. Cost me a bottle of sodie! I think he took it as a challenge. I seriously need to invest in a air compressor. Does the compressors with electric motor any good? Have not done much research on them.

Absolutely! They make some serious electric compressors. What is necessary to set the bead is ballast tank. I have this compressor and it has 4.5 gallon tank and will run almost any pneumatic tool and sets the bead on tires very nice. About $200 at Home Depot

But even this $99 compressor will do the trick for tires.

Let the pressure build up in the tank and then it can dump a lot of air very quickly.